My New Gal/No side Latches

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The question will be, how does he fill it up with gas?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
The question will be, how does he fill it up with gas?

Mark, he said someone intalled a electric latch activated by a switch, I would like to see pics of these mod as well.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I missed that, cool mod!

zrchris

GT Owner
Aug 12, 2009
Brentwood TN
Sure enough the Mecum pics show the lack of latches better from the side view:

http://mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=DA1011-114976

What is the VIN#? Quite an extent to go to just to eliminate the latches. Hopefully one of the prior owners mentioned this in your conversations? They are the (only) ones who should also know the details about the alternative releases they installed. No one else can really help short of seeing it in person. Might want to have someone pull the hood latch release in the car while someone else pulls up (lightly) on the hood as it might not pop. Very odd for someone to go to this extent on a car that did not have fender damage etc requiring removal / repair, but certainly possible if someone is motivated enough. Obviously at least the fenders were modified and repainted. Was this an early car that the factory toyed with? Long ago nz05gt mentioned getting some weird preproduction fenders from Ford that didn't fit right on his racecar.... Might want to dig a little more into the history of this car and how the first guy bought it....

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Well I am in my garage with Dennis of the Gt guys fame .And has never heard of a Gt with no side latches?? Must be an after thought….

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
Just wondering, but if you're going to go to that much trouble to do a "latch delete" mod, it wouldn't be that much more trouble to make a mold and make carbon-fiber fenders. Can you verify that they're aluminum?

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Maybe its as rare as Sonic Blue..lol.

I would call GT Joey and Marcie. They may be interested in putting it in the next edition of the FGT Owners Experience.

Schiff92

GT Owner
Oct 8, 2011
Southern Illinois
Thanks a lot again everyone for all the replies and so quick!! She is going to be delivered Saturday morning by the early afternoon I will have pictures up. By then I will also know for sure if they are aluminum or a carbon fiber material. My thing is is that no where dose it show it has been a rebuild at all...even through ford so I am happy about that as for everything else I will keep you all updated with every detail I find out. I will also post pictures of the boot and fuel door release on Saturday morning. I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep the next two nights I'm that excited!!!

Schiff92

GT Owner
Oct 8, 2011
Southern Illinois
Maybe its as rare as Sonic Blue..lol.

I would call GT Joey and Marcie. They may be interested in putting it in the next edition of the FGT Owners Experience.
sounds good ill have to call him as soon as I find more information out on the car.I'm really looking forward to getting his new book that is coming out soon too I just ordered it the other night!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
It would not show up from Ford, as it is an aftermarket mod, no way this left the factory like this. Really no mods show on reports, they are personal changes to the car, that unless you get receipts from the companies that performed the work, or a history from the prior owner(s) , you will remain guessing as to how, by who, and when it was done.

My thing is is that no where dose it show it has been a rebuild at all...even through ford

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep the next two nights I'm that excited!!!

There would be something wrong with you if that were not the case!

I predict you'll be out in the garage setting up a folding chair near the GT by Sunday, too...Monday at the latest! :wink

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
In that interior shot it looks like your steering wheel Ford GT sticker has same issues mine does. Sigh.

Schiff92

GT Owner
Oct 8, 2011
Southern Illinois
Sorry for the delay everyone i have been in the shop non stop since yesterday at 10:30 A.M looking at it in awe!! I have attached some photos as how the fuel door and boot release, i have also made sure and am positive the fenders are aluminum. With looking into it more i see no signs of body damage anywhere on the frame under the belly pans by the fenders nothing. Now that i am able to see how they and again who ever "they" might be as im still contacting the previous owners did the boot and fuel door release, it just puzzles me why you would spend the money to delete the latches at one point and still make them out of the same material the car came with? There are a few other things i will post a little later tonight. thanks again all

Attachments

• PA151194.jpg
    PA151194.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 392
  • PA151200.jpg
    PA151200.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 359
  • PA151204.jpg
    PA151204.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 359
  • PA151205.jpg
    PA151205.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 336
  • PA151211.jpg
    PA151211.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 442

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
One thing's for sure - BOTH of those releases are a darn sight more handy than the stock setups!

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Man I love seeing these things coming off the truck where you can get a straight on side view. Great looking car you got there! Very weird about the latches, be interesting to hear the outcome.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Way cool. Why is there the silhouette of a 1956 Hudson Rambler for your front trunk latch release?

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Easy Barry....... :frown

Fracman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Houston, TX
Love delivery pictures!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Looks like it is still summer there. :confused

Very envious about that. :frown

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Way cool. Why is there the silhouette of a 1956 Hudson Rambler for your front trunk latch release?

NASH Rambler I've heard of... HUDSON Rambler not so much! :confused :willy :lol