My GT´s 2005 and 2020

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
...The car has a run-in period of 600 miles with significant speed and acceleration restrictions , and I suspect you caused engine damage by pushing it the way you purportedly did. ...

I watched GTs at the final build station at MM. It is a dyno & I can tell you when you get the car it has seen redline already!

Ed

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Holy shit that’s crazy. I’d have bought the car and reversed the emission changes. Or taken delivery in the US. Anything but refuse the car.

Chip

Reactions: steved57

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
There looking for someone who is going to drive it!!

I'm willing to sign a mileage commitment! 📃🖋

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Yep, shameless drunken beg for a new Ford GT.

QSS

Are you drunk dialing yourself again and having a full convo? ;)

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I'll drive it! My 06 FGT has 18,000+ miles on it. My 68 GT 500 has 52,000 or 152,000 miles on it.

I drive my cars and NEVER save them for the next guy. Ford, sell me this car please!!!

QSS
Im like you! I’m not saving my cars or my wife for the next guy!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Im like you! I’m not saving my cars or my wife for the next guy!

... or your wife's next guy!

OK that's redundant. Sounded funnier in my head.

Reactions: roketman

medici78

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2006
El Paso, TX
I go to Germany several times a year and travel by car. I have an Audi SQ7 that I use at my EU office. It's not the fastest thing but it's faster than most cars on the road and I rarely get an opportunity to go over 200kmh on the autobahn let alone 250kmh. The SQ7 tops out at 266kmh and it's very rare that I managed to go that fast for more than a minute or two.

I just don't see how, even in Germany, slow acceleration above 250kmh is relevant to the ownership experience for a car having a primary focus on track, not top speed. It's been pretty obvious that the aero is on this car is to aid downforce not high-speed acceleration, thus the likely trade-off.

Also, the potential for profit (likely to outpace the market) when the time comes to sell is very high so you could have held on to it so you've also foregone a pretty nice payday.

Gonna call it like I see it: Giving it back ain't adding up.

Reactions: steved57

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
I'll be honest, I didn't follow it that closely, but I think the reason it ended up this way is that FMC was not granted a small volume manufacturer exemption from some emissions regs (WLTP?), and with only a little over 100 cars going to the EU for the year, it kind of is what it is. Other manufacturers are in the business of selling thousands of cars annually in that market so they have to make the spend to keep up with it.

We now have Gasoline Particulate Filters on GT (from 20MY I believe). These are needed to meet the latest EU Emissions requirements. It's the same on Mustang GT too. The particulate filters are more restrictive than just catalysts (which it still has of course) hence higher back pressure and resultant drop in power.

Reactions: Iconic GT and dbk

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm assuming those are required to meet inspection on an ongoing basis in the EU? US market cars are currently 660 hp, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the addition of the particulate filters and accompanying changes dropped the EU cars to 621.

Reactions: Iconic GT

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
I'm assuming those are required to meet inspection on an ongoing basis in the EU? US market cars are currently 660 hp, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the addition of the particulate filters and accompanying changes dropped the EU cars to 621.

The ongoing inspection system varies by country. In the UK we have an annual Ministry of Transport (MOT) test which kicks in when a car is 3 years old and is annual thereafter. Emissions will be tested then but the MOT test is not so stringent but they do inspect to see if the OE emissions control parts such as catalysts and filters are in place. Having said all that if you know a "sympathetic" tester you can get away with a lot. I believe the TuV tests in Germany are more strict.
Either way, if you wanted to remove the GPFs or cats you'd need to modify the calibration to allow for that which is no trivial matter (Euro calibrations are different to US ones too)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

ch_petrolhead

Aug 20, 2016
Swiss Mountains

Yes, market based. For exemple Switzerland which is obviously in Europe but not in the European Union (just like the UK now), uses the same norms as the EU but the periodic inspection is totally different. For example first one comes after 5y, then 3y and finally every 2y. But if your car is older than 30y you can then ask for a special status which allows to do an inspection every 6y.

Also in switzerland they seems to be more concerned about noise, than emission as long as the car has catalytic converter... If you install an exhaust that is louder than OEM you can likely swap it for every inspection... On the other side, as long as you have a catalytic converter that seems to be OEM and have an OBD they don't even make a pollution test. They consider that the car will adjust the pollution rate by itself.

So in theory it would be possible to swap the EU emission system for an US one with all the surrounding required changes as soon as the car is delivered. But seriously seems to be a PITA, for some HP that are not relevant for most of the drivers and at the end the car is from the start more about aero than engine...

1of19(GER)

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Germany
Who do I contact at Ford about a used GT that may be down in horsepower a little bit but probably still has more than the Le Mans winning cars? I’ll pay full msrp even with 500km on it. And I don’t even know what color it is!😄
see my avatar: weite/blue stripes

1of19(GER)

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Germany
Unacceptable :):)

I may never find out what the top speed is of my 2020 GT.
Meanwhile I got the car which does what I expected from the Ford GT:
Ferrari F8 Tributo,
runs 349 km/h (217 mph) 0-300km/h (186mph) 19,9 sec and the price is only 220.000 US$.
Together with my old Ford GT a perfect combination:)

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
There are no 220k Tributo's to be had anywhere in the USA. Cool looking car though. What color did you get?

cmsGTLife

GT Owner
Jul 28, 2022
Very sorry to hear you returned your car, Well I guest, Ford will never offer you there next Super Car again.
I Love My car, And I would Put this car on the Top of my list, and I have 22 Cars , Mostly Super Cars

PilotMarky

Ford GT Team Alumni
Dec 11, 2018
We have done 300 miles already in the first weekend! These cars are impossible to leave sitting! Driving it is an amazing experience!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Very sorry to hear you returned your car, Well I guest, Ford will never offer you there next Super Car again.
I Love My car, And I would Put this car on the Top of my list, and I have 22 Cars , Mostly Super Cars
Pictures please of the collection!
You show me yours and I’ll show you mine!