Mustang Cobra R in Wrapper

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
On ebay. Just thought some guys might be interested in the SVT connection and also storing a car for 10 years. I have no connection to car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180617080877+&viewitem=

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Free at last.

Gentlemen,

A brand new ten year old $54,000 car that has never been enjoyed. :frown If he gets his $70,000 which looks doubtful, the $16,000 might cover storage and and the opportunity costs of having 50+K tied up for 10 years. That's a cool Mustang that should have been driven. It would be a shame to rack up miles on it now and as a driver, the new $43,000 2012 Mustang Boss 302 LS has certainly eclipsed it in performance and handling. Still, if I had a lot of spare cash sitting around I would be tempted to buy that Cobra R and break it out of it's prison to experience the freedom of the open road for the first time.

Chip

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Specracer you see this ??
Andy (Specracer ) has one of these!!

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
As much as I am a true blue FORD car guy I have a problem with the modern mustangs as they all look the same , sure there might be some performance differences between the 500KR , the R the GT the Saleen the roush the super snake and countless other models but from 5 feet away you cant tell the difference , simillar to the modern corvettes and porsches

My money would rather be spent on something that is a little more collectable and not so ordinary on the street , I dont undersatnd why someone would buy that car and put it away for 10 years

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
As much as I am a true blue FORD car guy I have a problem with the modern mustangs as they all look the same , sure there might be some performance differences between the 500KR , the R the GT the Saleen the roush the super snake and countless other models but from 5 feet away you cant tell the difference , simillar to the modern corvettes and porsches

My money would rather be spent on something that is a little more collectable and not so ordinary on the street, I don't understand why someone would buy that car and put it away for 10 years.

I believe the rational of the owner was based on the exploding values of limited production pony cars from the 1960's. A Hemi Cuda, Boss 429 Mustang, or '69 Z-28 look almost identical to the much more common, low powered models but they bring huge premiums. Imagine how much a brand new, 11 mile Boss 429 would bring at Barrett-Jackson today. Give that Cobra R 30 more years and it might be worth a lot more. The owner may be dead by then however. 10 years is not long enough especially when new models are better and faster. The 60s muscle cars were looked back upon fondly because performance went to hell in 1972 and for over a decade nothing could touch the performance of the older cars. They would not be so coveted by 50+ year old men if car performance had kept improving throught the 70s and 80s. That Cobra R was the sh*t hot Mustang 10 years ago, but it's no big deal compared to today's hot Mustangs. That's my take on it.

Chip

GTRob

Feb 18, 2009
Imagine how much a brand new, 11 mile Boss 429 would bring at Barrett-Jackson today.

Chip

1969 Boss 429 4-speed sold at auction (no reserve) in June 2010 for $182k (wish I had the money and room it was a steal!). 29k miles on it and ground-up restoration. They also wrapped the steer wheel and back seat belts with plastic like the Cobra R in the ad. It was spotless.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Gentlemen,

It would be a shame to rack up miles on it now and as a driver, the new $43,000 2012 Mustang Boss 302 LS has certainly eclipsed it in performance and handling. Chip

Uhhhhh, Chipper, Please tell me where I can purchase a 2012 LS for $43,000. I'll take two please! Try MSRP $47,990.

Unless the official Ford list prices in the Arizona are different than in other parts of the country..
http://www.2012boss.com/blog/2012-boss-302-pricing-leaked/

Most dealers in my area are tagging a +$10K to the MSRP or taking $5K deposits to give a perspective buyer the "right" to bid on the car when it arrives at the dealership. Highest bid buys the car and deposits are returned to non-winners. Same kind of dealer gouging which took place on the early '05 GT's.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Splitting hairs.

Uhhhhh, Chipper, Please tell me where I can purchase a 2012 LS for $43,000. I'll take two please! Try MSRP $47,990.

Unless the official Ford list prices in the Arizona are different than in other parts of the country..
http://www.2012boss.com/blog/2012-boss-302-pricing-leaked/

Most dealers in my area are tagging a +$10K to the MSRP or taking $5K deposits to give a perspective buyer the "right" to bid on the car when it arrives at the dealership. Highest bid buys the car and deposits are returned to non-winners. Same kind of dealer gouging which took place on the early '05 GT's.

Bill,

I've never seen pricing for the 2012 LS and whether it costs $40,000 or $60,000, it's still a better performance driver than a brand new 10 year old Cobra R for $70,000. That's all I was saying. When I was at Santa Margarita Ford last month ordering Charley a new 2012 Mustang (not a Boss 302 :ack) I asked Tom Glockner how much he thought the Boss 302 LS would cost and he told me (without looking it up) that he thought it was around $43,000. And yes, because of my long relationship with that dealership Tom offered to order me one for MSRP. Like the early buyers of 2007 GT500s who paid $20,000 over MSRP, the "gotta have it first" LS buyers will take a similar beating when they sell. Those who wait a while will pay MSRP for their LS.

I want to buy a Boss 302 LS to use as a track car so when I eventually crash it I won't be as upset as I would be banging up my Ford GT. After my off track adventure at VIR that miraculously ended well, I should probably get that order in the pipeline! :lol

There was a new Boss 302 LS at Barrett-Jackson with another on it's side in a display stand so the undercarrage/suspension could be studied. It was really impressive stuff even if you don't like red trim. :thumbsup

Chip

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
After my off track adventure at VIR that miraculously ended well, I should probably get that order in the pipeline! :lol

Chip,
1) order the Mustang
2) sign up for Drivers Ed -HP edition--Family Plan, V. & Charley too.
3) Get a Play Day Scheduled at the Track.
4) Go Fast, Be Safe, Have some FUN!

Your humble servant,

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thanks Chip, I somehow thought you were quoting Ford's MSRP 302 LS for the car in your post. As my link indicated, the retail price has been out there for a couple months now and is about $48K.

I have no question that the new '12 boss is a significantly higher performer than the earlier Cobra R. The R still is a nice looking period Mustang and very capable with the 5.4L engine, but different strokes for different folks. One of my GT track instructors had one and I spent some cockpit time with him during advanced driving sessions and was quite impressed.

I hope you get a 302 LS, they look to be very nice automobiles! And should be a blast on the track. Take Jeff out for a ride....

I too, do not like the red trim of either flavor LS and I saw pictures of the Mustang on its side showing the 4 port exhaust, suspension upgrades, etc. Ford did a similar display for the GT at early mustang events as well.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yup saw it, this is at least the second tour on e-bay for this car. They are not going to get what they are asking, i dont think. There are a LOT of these cars out there, with very low miles. I also worry about getting the plastic off the paint after a decade. There is another one on Autotrader with 60k miles, they have been lowering the price, now down to $29k, which sure seems like a pretty good price for a car they made 300 of, that really is special, like the boss's of old, just not long enought time has passed yet. Mine had 12xx miles on it, orig owner pd $10k over, I got mine for $42k.

Specracer you see this ??
Andy (Specracer ) has one of these!!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Yup saw it, this is at least the second tour on e-bay for this car. They are not going to get what they are asking, i dont think. There are a LOT of these cars out there, with very low miles. I also worry about getting the plastic off the paint after a decade. There is another one on Autotrader with 60k miles, they have been lowering the price, now down to $29k, which sure seems like a pretty good price for a car they made 300 of, that really is special, like the boss's of old, just not long enought time has passed yet. Mine had 12xx miles on it, orig owner pd $10k over, I got mine for $42k.

I think I'll paint my '95R red, put a big wing on the rear deck so I can get $70K! Then again, it is pretty nice as-is.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
VERY nice "as is"!!

I think I'll paint my '95R red, put a big wing on the rear deck so I can get $70K! Then again, it is pretty nice as-is.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
I'm changing out the engine on my 95 R tomorrow for a ford 427 crate engine. Anyone have an in at ford as far as the tune? I have several ideas and a few questions.

Steve

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
This gets it.

Gentlemen,

Please forgive the 2nd rate I-Phone photos. Even with the red trim, I think it looked pretty cool. Charley and I watched it go around for about 4 rotations!! :willy

Chip

Attachments

• Boss 2.jpg
    Boss 2.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Boss 3.jpg
    Boss 3.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Boss 4.jpg
    Boss 4.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Boss 1x.jpg
    Boss 1x.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 179

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Gentlemen,

Please forgive the 2nd rate I-Phone photos. Even with the red trim, I think it looked pretty cool. Charley and I watched it go around for about 4 rotations!! :willy

Chip

Yep, the team did a great job on the Boss, hope to own one some day - when it get back to MSRP.....

But Chip, you really need to appreciate those older 'R's, comparing them to the current Boss is unfair. In the '93, '95 and '00 timeframe, Ford wasn't nearly as supportive of their performance legacy as they are today. A couple of fellows, by the names of Neil Ressler and John Coletti (apology to others not mentioned), put their careers on the line (more than once) to get those few cars built. The limited production runs of +250/300 in those prevailing environment(s) at Ford, was and is, simply amazing. I wasn't too surprised when Ford decided to build the Ford GT, that it went back to this same people to execute the plan. Chassis and engine technology, as well as corporate support, has greatly improved to bring us the current Boss, but it remains a huge accomplishment to have built these 'specialty' vehicles. And frankly, those cars will still amaze you when you drive them. At 42K, Specracer got himself one great deal !

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
But Chip, you really need to appreciate those older 'R's, comparing them to the current Boss is unfair. In the '93, '95 and '00 timeframe, Ford wasn't nearly as supportive of their performance legacy as they are today. A couple of fellows, by the names of Neil Ressler and John Coletti (apology to others not mentioned), put their careers on the line (more than once) to get those few cars built. The limited production runs of +250/300 in those prevailing environment(s) at Ford, was and is, simply amazing. I wasn't too surprised when Ford decided to build the Ford GT, that it went back to this same people to execute the plan. Chassis and engine technology as well as corporate support has greatly improved to bring us the current Boss, but it remains a huge accomplishment to have built these 'specialty' vehicles. And frankly, those cars will still amaze you when you drive them. At 42K, Specracer got himself one great deal !

After personally speaking to Neil at length at Rally V, I could not agree with you more Cobrar.

And the trim color in the above pictures (if in fact really was orange as depicted--may be a camera issue) is not really production available in the Boss 302 LS which the pictures depict. The LS is available in only two color options -Black (order code UA) or Ingot Silver Metallic (UX) both exterior body colors are "highlighted" with wheels and graphics in Race Red (85E). (not orange as shown above in the pictures, which may be show car only).

Last edited:

GTRob

Feb 18, 2009
How about something older. 1996 Cobra R 8,300 miles listed for for $26k. That car has a 5.8L

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
.....if in fact really was orange as depicted--may be a camera issue......

Bill,

The trim on that Boss 302 LS I photographed at B-J was bright red. The I-Phone photos under the spot lights made it look orange in the photos. The Boss on it's side was not an LS but was a standard Boss 302. The bright red trim on the LS looked better in person to me than I thought it would look after seeing photos.

Chip

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
How about something older. 1996 Cobra R 8,300 miles listed for for $26k. That car has a 5.8L

No Cobra R in '96. That car must be a '95, which came with a 5.8L.