Muffler replacement question

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I want to pull the OEM muffler and go muffler delete. Can I do this from below after I pull the belly pans or do I need to do it from above which I’m guessing would require removal of the clamshell?
Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
From above. Experienced people like Rich do it without removing the clamshell but I wouldn't try it.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The clamshell DOES NOT (physically) interfere with the removal of large, 52lb OEM muffler. As such, we never remove the clamshell for this modification. I would strongly recommend leaving it on as there are likely more risks in removing/re-installing than just leaving it in place.

Reactions: viva gt

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
I removed mine on 1316 with instructions from Rich years ago.
Lower pans and rear lower grills go, remove air cleaner, remove rear bumper.
You put a jack under the transmissions , take out the transmission bolt for the mount. then lower the jack for the angle.
Take out the muffler bolts and support bracket and yes from the top if you get it JUST RIGHT you can do it. I had a slight dig mark underneath the rear facia from the curve of the pipe. Its alot easier with the clamshell off, but yes it can be done.
I lovethe heffner pipes, the sound and trumpet ends are special.
Good luck
GTJOEY1314

Reactions: 93extxdps

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
I did it without removing the clamshell. Use plenty of masking tape to protect surrounding.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I agree that the risk of taking the shell off is worse then leaving it on.
As advised, use plenty of tape, and take all the time in the world!
The times that you get in trouble with this, is when you try to rush the job.
I've done 2, and get better at it each time.
Best,
Mark

Tomcat

GT Owner
With Rich (GTGuys) myself and one other guy we did my muffler by taking off the clam shell.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Regarding the steps in post 4 above, there's an important missing step if you are trying to remove the OEM muffler. You must also remove the perforated black screen between the two frame rails. You will need this off to allow the tips to rotate as you lift the muffler up and out.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I did mine circa 2006, I followed the Ford instructions. I not only did I remove the clam shell, but the entire rear fascia. Obviously, I would do things very differently with the knowledge that I have now.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
As mentioned use plenty of tape around the areas indicated in the attached pic. I padded the supercharger body and sat on it - bear hugged the OEM muffler out without removing the clamshell. Careful if you have a bad back.

Attachments

• 319D71BA-400A-4776-B793-9BD6177A8284.jpeg
    319D71BA-400A-4776-B793-9BD6177A8284.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Nice pic, Art. Notice how Art has the aforementioned center black perforated panel out as well.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Thnx for all the info guys. I’m not looking forward to this but at least I’m more comfortable with the shadetree mechanic JOB.

If the clam stays on does the bumper have to come off?

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Thnx for all the info guys. I’m not looking forward to this but at least I’m more comfortable with the shadetree mechanic JOB.

If the clam stays on does the bumper have to come off?

I would say yes. We removed the calm shell, and the bumper still had to come off.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
The bumper has to come off because of the legnth of the pipes. One guy years ago had no patience and CUT the pipes with a sawzall behind the bumper.
It made it alot easier but............one and done
Yes I mentioned in post 4 the screens, its not a hard job just take your time. Put the muffler on the scale......64 65 pounds? I forgot.
Good luck.
gtjoey1314
now looking at that gloriuos picture DONT FORGET TO PUT THAT SUPPORT BRACKET BACK. Some dont but it keeps everything from twisting.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Agree, bumper and mesh screen off.
Plan on a lot of time.
Mark

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Yep and PLEASE don't forget about the transmission bolt and jack, If you don't, it wont come out unless you like digging into the panels...

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
54 lbs.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
lite :)

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The Ford Racing/Borla muff I replaced it with weighs 35 lbs. so almost 20lbs off the ass.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
The Ford Racing/Borla muff I replaced it with weighs 35 lbs. so almost 20lbs off the ass.
Try a Heffner pipe for more wt reduction.
Best,
Mark