Motorcraft 5W-50 full synthetic

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Found it today selling for 8.19 a quart at http://k-mansparts.com/ .. I have been looking for some time and best I could find was circa 10 dollars a quart. Just passing this on.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Ive bought from there a few times. Typically the best price on the web.

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
Autopartstomorrow has it for 8.89/qt and free shipping. Is shipping free @ K-Mansparts?

Thanks.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Autopartstomorrow has it for 8.89/qt and free shipping. Is shipping free @ K-Mansparts?

Thanks.

I wanted the option of buying by the quart,believe free shipping is for bulk orders at autopartstomorrow....however great deal for a case or two.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Thanks.

FedEx ground was about $1/qt from SC to VA. You may be better off finding a west coast vendor.

BTW, dealer price is $15/qt + sales tax. Even if you find a dealer who will give you a break, I think K-Mansparts price (no sales tax) is hard to beat. You just have to see how much shipping adds for your location.

Which brings up a further point. This product obviously has a huge markup.

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Is the same fluid that ford used in early GT prduction? I thought they quit making that stuff, it was significantly more expensive than the typical 5w50.

I've been thinking about changing the main oil to Castrol TWS. I know castrol 5w60 TWS uses more esters than the their 5w60 Sport. Any thoughts on oil blends.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Is the same fluid that ford used in early GT prduction? I thought they quit making that stuff, it was significantly more expensive than the typical 5w50.

I don't think it's the same, because of regulatory requirements. People debate oil quality ad nauseum. I have yet to hear of a factory supercharged Ford engine that suffered any damage from using Ford recommended oil and service schedule, but the interweb being what it is, I'm sure there is someone who insists the current oil sucks.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Not the same.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
No, its not the same oil developed for the GT. I will not get into a debate on if its 'good enough'.

I use Rotella T6 which works very well in this engine with good oil analysis results to back it up.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
No, its not the same oil developed for the GT. I will not get into a debate on if its 'good enough'.

I use Rotella T6 which works very well in this engine with good oil analysis results to back it up.

I would love to see the results of a Rotella oil test after using it in a FGT.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
^^^ +1
I know we can all do our own investigations, and I certainly will, but if someone has some empirical data to get us started, that would really be helpful. I'm all ears (or i guess eyes in this case)

JCO1966

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 22, 2006
Greenville SC
Yes please share data! I am getting ready to change my oil and have the motor craft oil. Thanks

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The closest analysis reports I have are from 36,000 miles in a GT500, when I do my next change on the GT, it will get an analysis done too.

If you would like to do a bit of reading on the subject as applied to GT500 engines which are very similar, please read this thread:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/787413-official-uoa-thread-oil-poll.html

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Thanks. Interesting data. According to this, Motorcraft 5w50 loses an average of 30% of its shear strength by ~1500mi.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
The closest analysis reports I have are from 36,000 miles in a GT500, when I do my next change on the GT, it will get an analysis done too.

If you would like to do a bit of reading on the subject as applied to GT500 engines which are very similar, please read this thread:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/787413-official-uoa-thread-oil-poll.html

I've been following that thread and my sons GT500 where he went to Amsoil 10w40..... No problems yet but he has yet to get to get the oil tested. He's running tune, TB, pulley, Exhaust pushing 675HP... sounds like the FGT....

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Copied to hard drive. Love it when it gets down to the brass tacks right off the bat.

I run the Royal Purple in my F-350. Is PenRite available here?

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Interesting read, but...

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_06 Nov. 25 11.40.jpg
    ScreenHunter_06 Nov. 25 11.40.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 374

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
According to this, Motorcraft 5w50 loses an average of 30% of its shear strength by ~1500mi.

I have seen this as early as 1k miles on the MC.