Motorcraft 5W-50 full synthetic

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I think what he means is the original oil's formula and part number of changed. Due to gov. regulations the level of ZDDP in all motor oils for gasoline engines have be lowered to extend the life of cats. Diesel oils still have the higher levels of ZDDP.
Just a minor point, but the Rotella T6 is not a diesel specific formula. It is for diesel and gasoline engines and is certified to the API SM spec. It is primarily marketed to the diesel fleets however it has gained significant ground in the motorcycle and forced induction sports cars areas because of its high shear strength and very low wear. Its intended for fleet wide use, not just diesels. I do not think the very low zinc and phosphorous requirements imposed in API SM effect 5W40 and 5W50 weights.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Pre-oiling and or preheating are always good if you work out the details. The GT pre-oiling procedure works well, but of course wears on the starter a bit. Oil cling is pretty good on today's oils, but most of the film is gone after 48 hrs. I usually pre-oil if the car has not started in more than a week or so and then usually I've planned on a battery top up before. Don't forget the thread earlier about a locked car's battery drain. The alarm system pulls a fair number of milliamps continuously, so if you stand locked for a period and then pre-oil you might find yourself in a weak battery condition if you are not on some sort of charger. And then there is the gauge failure phenomenon that some associate with low batts. Beats me.

But we were talking about oil effectiveness in use. I'm going to take the approach that OEM MC oil is fine for daily driving - putzing around town style, looking at babes. Ford did a lot of work so it must be good for something. But if I want to do more than that, and given that MC 5W50 may not stay 5W50 for very long, I may want a more specialized oil for tracking or more aggressive driving conditions. So, I'm going to go find my oil version of daily driving Bridgestones and harding running Hoosiers for my oil choices.

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
what would be the problem of using Redline?

JCO1966

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 22, 2006
Greenville SC
How do you pre-oil? I assume pull the coil wire and turn it over a few times? Thanks, Chad

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
How do you pre-oil? I assume pull the coil wire and turn it over a few times? Thanks, Chad
Chad, if you hold the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor while pushing start, it will crank the engine without starting.

Jeff

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
i run all types of oils from dino oil from major oil companies to synthetics, i have never had an oil releted engine failure on the cars that i drive. My all of wifes car have had oil "burning" issues which i believe are from poor breakin and continual heavy throttle use when cold from day 1. If you don't track, mile, or push the limits of the car much i doubt that the engine will wear out from use of any reasonable oil. It should last well over 100k without issues.
amen

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
Autopartstomorrow has it for 8.89/qt and free shipping. Is shipping free @ K-Mansparts?

Thanks.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Autopartstomorrow has it for 8.89/qt and free shipping. Is shipping free @ K-Mansparts?

Thanks.
I wanted the option of buying by the quart,believe free shipping is for bulk orders at autopartstomorrow....however great deal for a case or two.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Thanks.
FedEx ground was about $1/qt from SC to VA. You may be better off finding a west coast vendor.

BTW, dealer price is $15/qt + sales tax. Even if you find a dealer who will give you a break, I think K-Mansparts price (no sales tax) is hard to beat. You just have to see how much shipping adds for your location.

Which brings up a further point. This product obviously has a huge markup.

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Is the same fluid that ford used in early GT prduction? I thought they quit making that stuff, it was significantly more expensive than the typical 5w50.

I've been thinking about changing the main oil to Castrol TWS. I know castrol 5w60 TWS uses more esters than the their 5w60 Sport. Any thoughts on oil blends.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Is the same fluid that ford used in early GT prduction? I thought they quit making that stuff, it was significantly more expensive than the typical 5w50.
I don't think it's the same, because of regulatory requirements. People debate oil quality ad nauseum. I have yet to hear of a factory supercharged Ford engine that suffered any damage from using Ford recommended oil and service schedule, but the interweb being what it is, I'm sure there is someone who insists the current oil sucks.

JCO1966

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 22, 2006
Greenville SC
Hey Jeff, thanks for the info! I never knew that. I joined this forum back in 2006 and did not stay connected due to young kids, business, and everything else that happens in life. I just recently got dialed back in and regret not staying involved in the past! Since getting back involved I appreciate and love my GTs even more now, so a BIG thank you to ALL!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Bigger problem with high initial oil pressures due to very viscous oil is the over tension of the timing chains. This is the reason ALL of Ford's OHC mod motors are speced to use a 5Wx range oil.
I have only built Pushrod motors. Does the higher viscosity oil not flow into the tensioners of the timing chains? This is at start up or when up to temp?

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
Twin Cities
Not the same.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Good point.
Jeff and I both have been using the Motorcraft 5w-50 motor oil.

Ford recommends it, from the beginning, and I find no reason to change it at present. :thumbsup

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Oil change today with Rotella. Some time ago, I found this on Wikipedia. You can find various similar versions on the web. My car has long tube headers. Based on this, I would not have used the Rotella with catalytic converters in a state with tough emissions inspections. IDK why diesel engines with cats would be any different, but I didn't pursue the issue with Shell.

SwGI23M.jpg

Sorry, that png file doesn't display full size. Here's the essential text:

"Rotella oils are not recommended for gasoline vehicles with catalytic converters.
Best regards,
Shell Technical"

Dated 11/13/13

Last edited:

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
No, its not the same oil developed for the GT. I will not get into a debate on if its 'good enough'.

I use Rotella T6 which works very well in this engine with good oil analysis results to back it up.

dpdive

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I have an Accufab built engine & I'm using John's recommendation. Mobil 1
Plus a little ZDDP to bring those levels up to Mobil 1 racing oil levels.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Rotella must say that because of the higher zinc content can damage converters over the very long term. I use it in everything now except my Harley.