Modifications Done

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
I got my car back from Ida performance yesterday. I went with a very modest boast increase of just 15 psi, changed the spark plugs, installed k&n air filters, Bob Ida's exhaust/muffler and we dyno tuned the motor. In addition, we had to stiffen the rubber air tubes because they collapse at higher RPMs. We think that the air inlets (in the air box and the clam shell)need to be enlarged. We will make a new air box and thottle body but that is a project for another day along with the trans cooler which is on backorder. Horsepower is now 616 and torque is 560. An increase in the rpm limit to 7,000 would have yielded more but we decided to leave it at 6,500 given the engine is starved for air now.
dynobeforeandaftersmall2yj.jpg

The look of the muffler is great, it is much lighter than the stock muffler, the sound is incredible, low at idle and moderate while cruising. The car runs about 20 degrees cooler without the stock muffler.
exhaust7vm.jpg

exhaust26yq.jpg

imga00940po.jpg

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
Congrats Saber!

May I ask how you went about stiffening the inlet tube? Do you have any pics of what you did there?

Any driving impressions yet?

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
Clax said:
Congrats Saber!

May I ask how you went about stiffening the inlet tube? Do you have any pics of what you did there?

Any driving impressions yet?
The car feels great but traction is a real problem. I was not at the shop when the stiffing was done but I believe it is as simple as fitting stiffer plastic material on the inside of the tube.

Chris

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Saber,

First off, thanks a lot for posting the dyno plot. That really helps a lot to see what is really going on. I hope that we can get a lot more posts like yours when people are getting their mods done and tuned.

Saber, I am, however, a little concerned about your a/f ratio with the mods. Assuming I'm reading the graphs correctly, your car is running ~ 14:1 from 3K on up. This is just too lean - especially in the upper boost/rpm range. Your tuner should be targetting ~12.5:1 max.

Again, I apologize for armchair quarterbacking but I do have a lot of experience with forced induction tuning and if the graphs are accurate, you are too lean to be safe.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
No A/F plot?

nota4re said:
Saber,

First off, thanks a lot for posting the dyno plot. That really helps a lot to see what is really going on. I hope that we can get a lot more posts like yours when people are getting their mods done and tuned.

Saber, I am, however, a little concerned about your a/f ratio with the mods. Assuming I'm reading the graphs correctly, your car is running ~ 14:1 from 3K on up. This is just too lean - especially in the upper boost/rpm range. Your tuner should be targetting ~12.5:1 max.

Again, I apologize for armchair quarterbacking but I do have a lot of experience with forced induction tuning and if the graphs are accurate, you are too lean to be safe.
nota4re,

I think that the two lower plots are of little value to us. The plot you are looking at is probably "boost," before and after, 12 vs. 15 PSI respectively. I would of liked a direct A/F ratio plot instead. I do not think Bob Ida would let a car leave his shop running too lean. Let's hope it's just a misinterpretation of the plots.

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Awesome HP!

saber said:
I got my car back from Ida performance yesterday. I went with a very modest boast increase of just 15 psi, changed the spark plugs, installed k&n air filters, Bob Ida's exhaust/muffler and we dyno tuned the motor. In addition, we had to stiffen the rubber air tubes because they collapse at higher RPMs. We think that the air inlets (in the air box and the clam shell)need to be enlarged. We will make a new air box and thottle body but that is a project for another day along with the trans cooler which is on backorder. Horsepower is now 616 and torque is 560. An increase in the rpm limit to 7,000 would have yielded more but we decided to leave it at 6,500 given the engine is starved for air now.

The look of the muffler is great, it is much lighter than the stock muffler, the sound is incredible, low at idle and moderate while cruising. The car runs about 20 degrees cooler without the stock muffler.
saber,

Nice work! I am really getting jealous just thinking about that extra horsepower...

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Why does the car run so much cooler now? I understand there is more airflow around the engine without the muffler blocking the rear panel, but doesn't most to the engine's heat get eliminated through the coolant and radiator system?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Florida Chris said:
Why does the car run so much cooler now? I understand there is more airflow around the engine without the muffler blocking the rear panel, but doesn't most to the engine's heat get eliminated through the coolant and radiator system?

Chris

The mass of the muffler is reduced (meaning less metal to retain heat)and there is now an escape route for the engine compartment air. Nothing is blocking the air from exiting from the rear.

Look behind your rear license plate and compare it to the above posted pictures. Its almost that simple. Bob Ida said from the first day he saw the GT and learned of the engine heat problem that air flow was a problem.

Dave

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Saber

Is your GT a "05" or a "06" ?? My "06" GT has a VERY STIFF intake !!!

AMB

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have an 05 and it is stiff except in the accordian like rubber sections. You can easily crush them with very little pressure.

BlackICE

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I agree with Florida Chris about "working hard and getting rich" If I might add, Don't let the bastards take your hard earned money thru the neverending scheme of taxation and wealth redistribution ; federal, state, local, gas, sales, etc, etc, and to top it off estate.

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
AMB said:
Is your GT a "05" or a "06" ?? My "06" GT has a VERY STIFF intake !!!

AMB
My is an 05 but the 06s are the same. There is a hard plastic middle section with a soft rubber section on each side.

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
barondw said:
Chris

The mass of the muffler is reduced (meaning less metal to retain heat)and there is now an escape route for the engine compartment air. Nothing is blocking the air from exiting from the rear.

Look behind your rear license plate and compare it to the above posted pictures. Its almost that simple. Bob Ida said from the first day he saw the GT and learned of the engine heat problem that air flow was a problem.

Dave
Dave,
I really apreciate you stopping by to meet me at Bob's. Thanks

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The plot you are looking at is probably "boost," before and after, 12 vs. 15 PSI respectively. I would of liked a direct A/F ratio plot instead.

Jay, you are absolutely right. Looks like boost and not AF as I had incorrectly assumed. That said, it sure would be nice to see a/f.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
barondw said:
Chris

Dave

Thanks for the explanation Dave.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
saber said:
Dave,
I really apreciate you stopping by to meet me at Bob's. Thanks

Your welcome it was very nice meeting you and your wife.

Dave

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
BlackICE said:
I have an 05 and it is stiff except in the accordian like rubber sections. You can easily crush them with very little pressure.

BlackICE

The accordian like center section is where the problem lies. It collapses during driving restricting air flow. This is the case on the 2005 and 2006.

Dave

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
GT Inlet

My inlet only has about 1" of soft rubber on each side of the stiff center section. I don't see how it can colaps !!!

AMB

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
nota4re said:
Jay, you are absolutely right. Looks like boost and not AF as I had incorrectly assumed. That said, it sure would be nice to see a/f.

I have had my share of "tuners" that were operating "above" their experience level, hence, I researched Ida Performance before I brought my GT there for upgrades. Bob Ida has been doing supercharged cars since the 60's, and in fact is in the hard covered book " The History Of Supercharged Gasses". He is also on the cover of " How to Tune Accel Fuel Injection", the A/F on my car is averaging 12.25 to 1.

Air foil / stiffer is made from hand formed aluminum by Rob Ida.

Last edited:

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
AMB said:
My inlet only has about 1" of soft rubber on each side of the stiff center section. I don't see how it can colaps !!!

AMB
AMB,
Maybe you have a different set-up than the rest of us. See this picture, the rubber tubes on each side of the hard plastic in the middle are soft and collapse.

inlettube6ap.jpg