Modding the FGT2

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
So...what mods do you guys have planned for your FGT2? I mean, besides cup holders.

IDK much about these tiny turbo'd motors. How much more can you do (and maintain reliability) to an engine that approaches 200 hp/l stock? Remember when 1hp/cu in was a BFD? This rig is almost 3hp/cu in.

Haven't seen any views of the engine bay. Will it have cast iron exhaust manifolds or come stock with SS headers? Probably need to be careful with exhaust system mods. Louder isn't necessarily better with a V6.

All carbon, so not much to do there. No bumper delete or Mac relocate needed. No short shifter. No pulley.

:shrug

Last edited:

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Mod 1: Drop jaw and raise heart rate at opening. (Basically freak the F out.)
Mod 2: Speculate ad nauseum about absolutely everything associated with it while knowing nothing but advertising buzz.
Mod 3: Come to the realization that you are plankton in an ocean full of great whites that have the means to afford this wonderment.
Mod 4: Hope against hope that you can seize the unlikeliest of opportunities and somehow acquire one of the late production builds as long as it does not cost a kagillion dollars.

This summarizes my emotional and psychological mods for the '17 GT!

Vince H

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Wheels are always the first aftermarket mod, tune, bigger turbos. I'll assume they will overengineer the motor. Handful of exhaust options, not to necessarily make it louder (although that's usually why people switch). Sound clips make it sound pretty good, but I'm sure there's a way to make V6 sound more beastly by removing cats and altering the plumbing. Sure someone will try to alter (not necessarily improve) the aero with a different front diffuser and wing, Other than that, mostly aesthetics things. Really need to see what it has/doesn't have before prognosticating on what the aftermarket will bring to the table.

pacettr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 2, 2013
Mustang, OK
See: Nissan GTR

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
I have no clue where to start on this new Ford GT... I can tell you that if the Lord willing allows me a way to own this new beast I will for sure find a way to figure out some type of mods. Not that I don't believe Ford will build this to the best of its abilities, a little more horsepower never hurt anything.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
1st Mod - ACTUALLY GET A PHX!!
2nd Mod - ACTUALLY GET A PHX!!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Mod 1: Drop jaw and raise heart rate at opening. (Basically freak the F out.)
Mod 2: Speculate ad nauseum about absolutely everything associated with it while knowing nothing but advertising buzz.
Mod 3: Come to the realization that you are plankton in an ocean full of great whites that have the means to afford this wonderment.
Mod 4: Hope against hope that you can seize the unlikeliest of opportunities and somehow acquire one of the late production builds as long as it does not cost a kagillion dollars.

This summarizes my emotional and psychological mods for the '17 GT!

Vince H

Way cool. But if I was plankton, I'd be more concerned about the baleen dudes than those Hollywood great whites.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Just like my 05-06, next to nothing. I have zero engine mods.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Supra motors from the 90's (inline 6) have been modded to hold triple+ stock hp numbers. It all comes down to what the stock motor can hold. Once you build a motor it can hold a BUNCH more when you put boost to it. It comes down to the aftermarket to make performance parts for the EcoBoost motor. It seems Ford is going pretty heavy toward that motor in other cars so the chances of better parts is moving in a positive way.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
So...what mods do you guys have planned for your FGT2? I mean, besides cup holders.

IDK much about these tiny turbo'd motors. How much more can you do (and maintain reliability) to an engine that approaches 200 hp/l stock? Remember when 1hp/cu in was a BFD? This rig is almost 3hp/cu in.

Haven't seen any views of the engine bay. Will it have cast iron exhaust manifolds or come stock with SS headers? Probably need to be careful with exhaust system mods. Louder isn't necessarily better with a V6.

All carbon, so not much to do there. No bumper delete or Mac relocate needed. No short shifter. No pulley.

:shrug

Race motor looks like this:

Attachments

• 10857098_10153026685698624_467845921357408202_o.jpg
    10857098_10153026685698624_467845921357408202_o.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 445

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ So...add two cylinders and drop it in?

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
fuel pumps, fuel injectors, custom tune, downpipes with or without cats, cat back exhaust, larger turbos or change the turbine blades, wheels and tires would be a good start for 900+HP on an E85 flex fuel tune, ok make that 1000 HP even.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Call Torrie, Mr. ecoboost.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Call Torrie, Mr. ecoboost.

For sure, he's been working on my Viper already, one of the first tuners that are able to work on the Gen V's.

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
I think the best mod is new tires and brakes, as you have worn the old ones away.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Get it in the hands of Mullet. Then wait and copy.

Macman

May 13, 2013
Perhaps UGR will get a hold one one and create a nice twin turbo setup.

P-Tree

Jan 14, 2015
See: Nissan GTR

I would agree with this sentiment. If you're not in the community, you might not be in the know though. As always, it will be how much money are you willing to spend to go fast. I can make close to 700 awhp on E85 and only bolt ons and run 9s in my GT-R. I also know the path to build, 1,000, 1,200, 1,500+ hp. If the motor has forged internals (stock GT-R internals are cast, they can only handle ~600 awtq before they go) this will be a major help to getting power out of Full Bolt On (FBO)/E85 build. I'm curious if the hotside of the turbo will be cast into the exhaust manifold as the GT-R has it. Just and FYI for people who don't know, AMS has the fastest/quickest GT-R (full weight mind you, they are pigs) in the world trapping 190 mph and running 7.7 in the 1/4 mile. So everyone freaking out over a TT V6, stay calm. :wink

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
4.3 stroker kit.... (in the works shortly here) Ugraded wheels in turbos to start with will net 800-90-whp alone. The stock turbos should carry this thing to 700-750whp with putting more boost in it and with a good tune. Biggest problem is going to be the Injector pump and injectors as this is a Direct injection motor... But i already know someone working on a Injection pump aswell for the other ecoboost motors so it will be available for this motor prob by the time car is released. Good thing i have a chassis dyno in house and know some of the best tuners in the country ;)
Last but not least another issue will be the dual clutch! What type of power will they be able to handle???

BTW All it will take is 1300whp in this car and with what it weighs it will be an absolute heartbreaking monster..... Do the math Gtr 4-4200lbs and 2000whp Ford GT 2900-3000lbs and 1300whp.. another cool thing is Mickey Thompson is releasing its new drag radial tire this summer which is a 335-25-20 and will work perfect on this car! I started on them on that tire 5 years ago and it finally made it into production this year!

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
Headers & straight pipes :biggrin