Maybe there is hope for 3 pedals?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Take a paddle shift car round a track shifting it yourself. Then take it round again letting it do the shifting. I'm pretty sure you'll be quicker. Chris Goodwin (chief test driver for McLaren) says the fastest way around a track is auto mde. Much as I love manuals, DCTs are superior.

That's never been the point, David. No one is or has ever argued that DCT's are the faster way around the track or a straight line. But for those of us that don't care about tenths of a second (or seconds for that matter), than there is no contest between the two.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Well, I hate to point out the obvious, but....manufacturers build what people want to buy. It's a profit-making business!

That said, my wife's GL450 is the only car at our house with an automatic (if you don't count the race car, which does have paddles because...wait for it...it's faster!

Agree. 3 pedals are becoming rare because the market doesn't want them. I'd pay extra for a car with 3 pedals - but we are in the minority.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
The better is the enemy of good. We do not have manual starters anymore. That's the way technology evolves...

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The better is the enemy of good. We do not have manual starters anymore. That's the way technology evolves...

Apples and oranges. "Better" is only the enemy of "good" if there is agreement on purpose. We don't have the manual starter anymore because the electric starter is a superior device for starting the car and no one derived enjoyment from hand cranking a car, at least not those who valued their appendages.

If the purpose of the car is to negotiate a track as fast as possible, a DCT is unquestionably "better." If the purpose of the car is to give manly drivers with strong wrists and sufficient levels of testosterone maximum enjoyment via control and engagement, a manual transmission is "better."

Applying the "better is the enemy of good" maxim to all things without considering purpose is the same as saying that no one needs more car than a 100 hp, 75 mpg hybrid since it's "better" as a transportation appliance, which, of course, all cars are, aren't they?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
It would not surprise me if a Honda accord is faster on a track than some Grand Prix cars of yesteryear. Does that mean that the accord would be more fun on the track because its faster? Nope. Driving can have 2 sides, fast and ultimate speed, and what can be irrational at times, the enjoyment. The latter is where the former can take a back seat, or why would anyone drive an "old" car? I really enjoy shifting. I could care less if its faster most of the time. 3 pedals are just fun.

Im sad that the NGT is 2 pedals, but Im LONG over it (same of the V-6), this thing is about the ultimate speed, and that is where it totally makes sense to "think outside of the box", and make it go using the fastest technology.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
But for those of us that don't care about tenths of a second (or seconds for that matter), than there is no contest between the two.

I find this a super overblown sentiment.

Have you ever driven something like a 458 in anger on a twisting road? I'm not counting tenths driving through the mountains, but a well-sorted DCT is extremely fun and it adds to the fun of driving rapidly on a winding road. I completely agree that if most of your driving involves stomping on the gas pedal, holding the wheel straight, and then shifting, it's always going to be more entertaining to shift yourself. I completely disagree that a manual will always be more fun when you're driving for entertainment through the hills.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I find this a super overblown sentiment.

Have you ever driven something like a 458 in anger on a twisting road? I'm not counting tenths driving through the mountains, but a well-sorted DCT is extremely fun and it adds to the fun of driving rapidly on a winding road. I completely agree that if most of your driving involves stomping on the gas pedal, holding the wheel straight, and then shifting, it's always going to be more entertaining to shift yourself. I completely disagree that a manual will always be more fun when you're driving for entertainment through the hills.

Exactly Dave and why you need to get that high reving 350R to come with a DCT in 2017 or 2018!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
3 pedal fans.

Get your 3 pedal cars now. They will be extinct within a few years.

We don't need to justify why we want them. We understand why we want them. Nevertheless, they will soon be extinct.

Making arguments for manual transmissions is like saying "Save three on the tree!" "Save Powerglide and Fordomatic!" Hell, "Save Torque Converters!" "Save sealed beam headlights!" How about "Save carburetors!" Better yet, "Save distributor points, rotors and condensers!" I'm sure there are a few left alive who would say "Save mechanical lifters!"

Get over it. MTs are going, going, almost gone.

Buy the good ones now.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The demand will be enough for a long time to justify the production of many reasonably priced fun cars with manual transmissions. Lack of demand won't kill the manual transmission in these cars, but government mandates might. Manual transmissions buck the trend of less driver control, something the government might find intolerable at some point.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Automatics now get better EPA MPG ratings than manuals. I don't think any amount of (rapidly fading) demand for manuals will matter. We'll have a few years yet.

Same with non-blown engines.

Remember when a 328i was a 2.8L na 6? And now a 328i is a 2.0L turbo 4? The apocalypse is happening on a slow roll.

This is why I so badly want a GT350. This is going to be it guys. Last gasp of naturally aspirated engine and manual transmission. Thank you Ford! Now please just make enough of them.

Last edited:

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Don't think the 3 pedals are continued, it's just too expensive to have two transmission technologies being offered for a single car. Also I am quite sure Engine and transmission are seeing more tight integration in the future especially when additional technology is being added like Turbos and electric motors which could be used to hide the lag of the turbos. Don't get me wrong, I like manual transmissions, but I was soo surprised when I did my First drive in a car with a DCT, I didn't even miss shifting, it was sooooo good.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I love 3 pedals. Even my pickup.
But I'm literally icing my knee right now.

Next race car will have to be a paddle car.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Remember when a 328i was a 2.8L na 6? And now a 328i is a 2.0L turbo 4? The apocalypse is happening on a slow roll.
I think the Germans have lost their mind...

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Don't think the 3 pedals are continued, it's just too expensive to have two transmission technologies being offered for a single car.

According to the web, Ford's 3rd qtr revenue was $38B with a profit of $4.7B so far this year. Some perspective;

That $38B quarterly budget of Ford is over twice the annual budget of NASA. :eek

Ford could give away 11,750 new ford GTs @ $400K ea to consume their profit thus far and will prob make another billion or two before years end. :willy

Too expensive? (Of course simple math probably does not apply :biggrin)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/28/business/ford-profit-soars-in-3rd-quarter-propelled-by-f-150-truck-sales.html?_r=0