Mass Inspection

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
so, as I said earlier.... the Government charges you for this "test "?
ajb (andy)

Oh yeah, and it's absurd at times. In Nevada new vehicles get a two year free ride (first registration and one renewal) and then it's a trip every year. The emissions warranty is for 7 years!!!! It is a "tax" to private parties. They charge about 30 and then add an additional 5 fee to "file" with the state, so it's about 35 bucks once a year. The whole thing is driven by lobbyists. CO tried to decentralize it from the Hamilton Test stations but it never got anywhere. CO was 2 years between tests.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
They look at a whole host of things. Starting with, lights functionality (directionals, hazzards, reverse, headlights etc), wipers / washer, horn. broken windshield and seat belts (existence, condition, and function). They jack the car up to check for play (ball joints, tie rods etc). They also do a visual, looking for illegal mods, including cats. They also look at tint level (MA legal tint level is very conservative). I also believe they are really cracking down on the 4x4 trucks, too tall, wheels that extend past fender flares etc. And as mentioned, yes they plug into the OBDII port to be sure all the monitors are on etc. Oh, and one more biggie they look for, license plates front and rear.

For all of this, $35....

For those of us who don’t have an inspection like this, what the hell are they inspecting for?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The inspector has to wear a body camera for the MA test? They photograph the car? Geez, even CA is not that bad. At least the weather in MA makes up for it. LOL

Ed

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
No body cam, but the inspector needs to take pictures of the front / back of the car, VIN plate, and a head shot of the inspector. There is a different camera(s) that records the entire inspection.

quahog

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2017
Cape Cod
Mass hole

Specracer filled you all in on our state of Mass hole . I selected a basic garage w/ an older tech guy. The ordeal was over in a few .. He hit his head only once ! Only one camera . I have been in the trade 50 years now so get a bit insulted by those that know better . A decent day to do a oil service where I work and a short ride into Chatham Ma. Like all the comments plus and minus. Some states are better than others . No wonder the other 4 GT's housed locally to me all have out of state plates !!!!! quahog