Lower Ride Height?

texasgt

GT Owner
Aug 12, 2005
Has anyone looked into trying to lower the front ride height? Or maybe front and rear?
It is very nice not having to worry about scraping the chin spoiler as much as with other cars in this class, but it seems like the ride height, especially in the front may be something of a compromise?
Anyone investigated the possibility of lowering the car, and what effect there might be on the handling? I think there were some pictures of coilover shocks with threaded collars for ride height adjustment?
Thanks for any advice.
Mark

Last edited:

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
texasgt said:
Has anyone looked into trying to lower the front ride height? Or maybe front and rear?
It is very nice not having to worry about scraping the chin spoiler as much as with other cars in this class, but it seems like the ride height, especially in the front may be something of a compromise?
Anyone investigated the possibility of lowering the car, and wheat effect there might be on the handling? I think there were some pictures of coilover shocks with threaded collars for ride height adjustment?
Thanks for any advice.
Mark

I am interested too. The car does seem to sit up a bit in the front. I'd like to lose 3/4 of an inch or so in the front only.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Florida Chris said:
I am interested too. The car does seem to sit up a bit in the front. I'd like to lose 3/4 of an inch or so in the front only.
Agree, it rides way up there, compared to the Italians.. I'd think stiffer front tyres are a way, also improving steer-in and wheel feedback..

FGT4me

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
I would suppose you would need to change out or alter (cut ) the existing springs.

Of course, either of these may change the ride quality some, which I think is quite good now.

yozi007

Oct 15, 2005
Bend, Or
I agree that the height, in the front for sure , appears to high, but does it work in handling and ride quality! My buddies Stradale sits perfect, but with a lot of compromise in ride quality. Hopfully Ford comes out with a performance part replacement, anything else could be risky.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
yozi007 said:
I agree that the height, in the front for sure , appears to high, but does it work in handling and ride quality! My buddies Stradale sits perfect, but with a lot of compromise in ride quality. Hopfully Ford comes out with a performance part replacement, anything else could be risky.

I even lowered my stradale (see the post in my garage), amongst other setup improvements, but I use it mostly on racetracks.. Now it is the best handling Stradale here in Italy, setup has been copied quite a few times already, once you drive it people say : I want exactly that .. :lol

I am sure one can improve the setup of the Ford, re steer in and oversteer behaviour. I think lowering is part of it, should improve bodylean and therefore understeer tendency. But if you lower it on the front only, you change aerodynamic angling, not necessarily a good thought for a car that is faster than a 747 at takeoff.. I would strongly recommend to equally lower front and back, also you will get more downforce at the diffusur, now that is a good thing at takeoff speed, I'd reckon.. :biggrin

yozi007

Oct 15, 2005
Bend, Or
SLF360 said:
I even lowered my stradale (see the post in my garage), amongst other setup improvements, but I use it mostly on racetracks.. Now it is the best handling Stradale here in Italy, setup has been copied quite a few times already, once you drive it people say : I want exactly that .. :lol

I am sure one can improve the setup of the Ford, re steer in and oversteer behaviour. I think lowering is part of it, should improve bodylean and therefore understeer tendency. But if you lower it on the front only, you change aerodynamic angling, not necessarily a good thought for a car that is faster than a 747 at takeoff.. I would strongly recommend to equally lower front and back, also you will get more downforce at the diffusur, now that is a good thing at takeoff speed, I'd reckon.. :biggrin

How did you lower the Stradele further that the factory set up, after market or factory? Thanks!

texasgt

GT Owner
Aug 12, 2005
Anyone??

I'm anxious to see about lowering the car, especially the front.
Is anyone working on springs or suspension? I read that the GTX is 1" lower, maybe they have an aftermarket coilover?
Thanks for any advice.
Mark

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
texasgt said:
I'm anxious to see about lowering the car, especially the front.
Is anyone working on springs or suspension? I read that the GTX is 1" lower, maybe they have an aftermarket coilover?
Thanks for any advice.
Mark
TexasGT,
I am not sure if you read SLF 360's last post. Let me repeat it,
"I am sure one can improve the setup of the Ford, re steer in and oversteer behaviour. I think lowering is part of it, should improve bodylean and therefore understeer tendency. But if you lower it on the front only, you change aerodynamic angling, not necessarily a good thought for a car that is faster than a 747 at takeoff.. I would strongly recommend to equally lower front and back, also you will get more downforce at the diffusur, now that is a good thing at takeoff speed, I'd reckon.."
I repeated it because lowering just the front of the GT WILL have a major effect on aerodynamic forces. A lot of time was spent in the wind tunnel and track testing by Ford. I think lowering the whole car is the only way to go!

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Didn't some of the cars have height adjustable coil springs???

I saw this a while back on some pictures found on the web somewhere...

1of19(GER)

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Germany
one of 101 said:
Didn't some of the cars have height adjustable coil springs???

I saw this a while back on some pictures found on the web somewhere...
Bilstein is doing testrides on the GT with adjustable coil springs at the moment. These will be for sale March/April next year .

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
How did they lower the GTX? Thats exactly the ride height I want for my car, PLEASE!

Bman33

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Miami
abolfaz said:
How did they lower the GTX? Thats exactly the ride height I want for my car, PLEASE!

Probally a hack job :willy .. The Bilstein adjustable coil springs sounds like a nice setup. But the wait dosent!

1of19(GER)

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Germany
Bman33 said:
Probally a hack job :willy .. The Bilstein adjustable coil springs sounds like a nice setup. But the wait dosent!
Information was written in 2005!!!!
Newest Information: May 2006

Bman33

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Miami
One of 19 (GER) said:
Information was written in 2005!!!!
Newest Information: May 2006

Nice!!!!

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I was told by a guy who owns 2 gt's that you can get coilovers from Roush but for $12K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
abolfaz said:
I was told by a guy who owns 2 gt's that you can get coilovers from Roush but for $12K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will very soon get the exact info and prices on the Ohlins stuff...
Stay tuned...

Bman33

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Miami
abolfaz said:

Not nice!! :lol

Bman33

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Miami
one of 101 said:
I will very soon get the exact info and prices on the Ohlins stuff...
Stay tuned...

VERY nice!!!! :rofl

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Kinetics Speed Shop

I stopped in the Kinetics shop today to see what they could do with the GT. They have an adjustable ride height package they are putting on GTs now.
The fellow I talked with is Chad, very knowledgeable about the GT. They had the adjustable height on the SEMA race car that they built. You can email Chad at chad@kssmotorsports.com or phone at 770-271-1577.
Don