Lower Ride Height?

Bman33

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Miami
Tungsten said:
I stopped in the Kinetics shop today to see what they could do with the GT. They have an adjustable ride height package they are putting on GTs now.
The fellow I talked with is Chad, very knowledgeable about the GT. They had the adjustable height on the SEMA race car that they built. You can email Chad at chad@kssmotorsports.com or phone at 770-271-1577.
Don

Did you happen to get a ballpark on pricing or what shocks they use?

By the way thanks for the info!! :cheers

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
I will ask Chad, should talk with him this week.
Don

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
My GT is in the shop this week getting a lowering job. If I remember correctly it is 1 1/2" in the front and 1" inthe rear. Cost to lower suspension is around $5,000. They will also open up the brake ducts in the front grill and add a screen for those of you that don't have the screen and want one.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2006
Hello,

I was hoping you could give some details on how your GT is being lowered? New springs, new coil-overs, what brand, who’s doing the work? Sorry for all of the questions. It seems every time someone talks about doing this, the thread dies and no one gets any good answers. Your time in responding is very much appreciated.

Regards,

John

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Check out this link. They have a GT on the showroom floor that belongs to the owner that was lowered. Call them up for a description of what and how they do it. Tell them Jerry sent you.

http://www.canepa.com/SportsLuxury/Showroom/FordGTGallery.shtm

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Look really good, but those wheels should have been mat instead of shiny black...

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Whats with those black mirrors though?!?! :rofl

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
He owns a lot of race cars. It does make it look like it's ready to go racing! I am keeping my stock wheels and no mirror painting for me.

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Ride Height

I got an email from Chad at Kinetics, they have a new system from Moton coming. He said it was still 10 weeks away from being available.
Don

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
adjustable ride height with Penske shocks

See the thread on shocks/spring rate www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269

Adjust your GT's ride height for around $2000 with a set of Penske shocks.

Ed

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Ride height adjusters are coming soon

Ride height adjusters are coming soon from T&A Shocks
I posted a photo of the first prototype in the photo section of this web page.

Search : The adjuster For stock shock.

Like a race shock with out the big price. And will not change ride quality.

The cost will be $485 for a car set of set of 4 ea. + $10 shipping in the lower 48

Thanks

Alex

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
MR2Race said:
Ride height adjusters are coming soon from T&A Shocks
I posted a photo of the first prototype in the photo section of this web page.

Search : The adjuster For stock shock.

Like a race shock with out the big price. And will not change ride quality.

The cost will be $485 for a car set of set of 4 ea. + $10 shipping in the lower 48

Thanks

Alex

I saw Bonys car a few weeks back and very much like it's ride height. He said it was lowered in Detroit at the rally. Does anyone know what springs were used and where I can purchase a set? (Bony is out of town and off line for another week and I would like to get this started ASAP). Thanks in advance, Steve

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
He used the company called the GT Guys... If I remember correctly.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
SteveA said:
I saw Bonys car a few weeks back and very much like it's ride height. He said it was lowered in Detroit at the rally. Does anyone know what springs were used and where I can purchase a set? (Bony is out of town and off line for another week and I would like to get this started ASAP). Thanks in advance, Steve

Hi Steve.
I got my coilovers from T&A. I had Speed Gallery in Studio city install and align the car for me. It came out great. So far, I think I am one of, if not the lowest GT here. I maxed out the front which was a 1-3/4" drop, and leveled out the back.
I am going to change my springs so I can go another 3/4" lower. I haven't scraped anything yet, and I can't wait to get it lower.
Any high end performance shop that works with suspensions can do it.
If you need a phone number, PM me. They charged me less than $600 for the install and alignment.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Thanks.
I do recall him telling me that but if I recall correctly they used off the shelf springs and the stock shocks. I'm not going to do any serious track time so don't feel the need to change the ride. I just would like to get rid of the nose high look.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I used all stock parts, springs and shocks. The coilover kit just lowers the stock stuff. If they have springs that lower it, then that is the way I would go.
From what I understand, it is a standard race spring. The only thing you need to be concerned with is the spring rate.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Thanks for the info Rockman. I can't go as low as you did (dips in road to and from home) but an inch or so in front and a bit off the rear should be a piece of cake. I would assume there are options?

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Yes, they can lower it as much, or as little as you like.
Lowering it 1" will make all the difference in the world. The front wheel gap is horrible.
You really do not need to lower the rear if you only go an inch in the front, but it is nice to have the coilovers on there anyway so you can in the future.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I have the GT's doing mine in November (1" in the front 3/4" in the back). That is what Bony told me he did and he said it did not have any ill effects. It was reallitively inexpensive.

Contact the GT Guys

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
texasgt said:
Has anyone looked into trying to lower the front ride height? Or maybe front and rear?
It is very nice not having to worry about scraping the chin spoiler as much as with other cars in this class, but it seems like the ride height, especially in the front may be something of a compromise?
Anyone investigated the possibility of lowering the car, and what effect there might be on the handling? I think there were some pictures of coilover shocks with threaded collars for ride height adjustment?
Thanks for any advice.
Mark

Put on a set of Goodyear Supercar Run-Flats as sized for the new Z06 Corvette and you will drop the height of the car (1.1 inch rear...28.9" diameter vs. 26.7"... and .35 inch front...26.3" diameter vs. 25.6"). You could use a 245/40 on the front. Not as much as some of the comments in this thread, but you'll gain a wider footprint, lower height and some peace of mind if you pick up a nail. They are a bit noisier than the stock set. You'll need to reset your speedometer and check your alignment. Check out the tire specs at the Tire Rack or on Goodyear's site.