Loss of 3rd gear

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Well, my gal is back and running better than ever. Got a new transmission from Ford. Maybe it's just me but my clutch feels even lighter than before and the shifter simply fantastic. Rich at Ford GT guys did an excellent job touching the car up! A potential bad story ends well! Thanks for the support guys!:biggrin

Now I have to install those hot buttons and my harness bars (that I received a long time ago!).

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Congrats! Glad to hear it all worked out!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Well, my gal is back and running better than ever. Got a new transmission from Ford. Maybe it's just me but my clutch feels even lighter than before and the shifter simply fantastic. Rich at Ford GT guys did an excellent job touching the car up! A potential bad story ends well! Thanks for the support guys!:biggrin

Now I have to install those hot buttons and my harness bars (that I received a long time ago!).

What was the final diagnosis? ....besides losing the gears.

And congrats on a great outcome!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

Scott, great to hear! I'll give a call over the weekend and catch up. Didn't want to bug you when you were in mourning!

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI

Thanks, We are glad that you are happy with the car. Let us know if you need anything else.

Rich

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables

Glad it went well for you! When my tranny went my car was down for nearly two months. Did they give a reason why the tranny went bad on yours?

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
According to Rich at GTGuy, no one currently works on the internals of our transmission...well, stillen does their final ratio change...so if your transmission fails then it is an entire new one at $15K. I understand that this may change though, it appears that someone, correct me if I wrong Rich, may be starting to do just this. I hope so, at least for the future. However, overall, I think these Ricardo transmissions are very robust, and that my failure was an anomaly. And no...I don't know exactly what happened since Ford does not work on the internals.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
It would be nice to know from someone what the actual failure is. I've wiped the teeth off enough transmission gears to know they don't go easy. It sounds like a keeper has slipped, failed or was not installed and allowed a gear to slip out of position or some keying to fail. Usually gears are on some sort of spline. I guess one could split but it would be real noisy. The 3rd syncro slider could simply come unlinked and be in neutral too. (if that's the way they shift) A lot of us have very few miles on the cars and the warranty expired or will soon. Ford is probably happy. If mine stops working I guess I'll get an education on the insides. I take a lot of things appart your are not supposed to and find they go back together just fine. Howabout a chime in from someone doing gear changes?

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
My GT had the same gear loss several weeks ago. Nice to find similar on here. We will remove the Ricardo this week. STILLEN repaired one with exact problem. Third gear synchro separated from steel gear via a weak weld. Apparently this was discovered by Ricardo and repaired before they got into cars. NOT SO. mine is a 2006 with 4,200 miles. Lost third completely under full throttle at 125MPH. All other gears perfect. Apparently Ricardo let a few out the door. Mine is far out of warranty but we think we can repair the gears and reweld. IMHO Ricardo should stand behind all of these!!

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
Update on my third gear loss. We were 99% sure we had third gear synchro and gear separation. Just had transaxle completely disassembled and all is perfect. Now addressing shifter and linkage. If you guys need help with your transaxle I have the guys who can handle the unit and very competent mechanics. Will update in a few days and post photos and funal issue and resolution Milling flywheel before installing STILLEN clutch and exhaust and engine/supercharger mods plus oil cooler.