ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

Many of our members who were at "The Quail" a few weeks back saw a beautiful Lola GT, the precursor to the Ford GT. It was the first one built and was sold without an engine in 1963 to a 24 year old man who owns it to this day. Some nice photos and a write up by our friend and author A. J. Baime (Go Like Hell) on page D4 in today's Wall Street Journal.

Chip

Attachments

• Lola.jpg
    Lola.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 473

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Good grief that car is tiny! Or its owner is a bit bigger than the average guy. 'Have to wonder if he could shoehorn himself into it today... (scratch my last...'just read the next-to-last paragraph)

'Haven't seen before. Thanks for the post.

Last edited:

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Amazing that he never drove it AT ALL, until he had to drive it across the stage at the Quail. I don't think I could resist driving such a beautiful car!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Amazing that he never drove it AT ALL, until he had to drive it across the stage at the Quail. I don't think I could resist driving such a beautiful car!

Gentlemen,

Not driving his Lola GT during his 50+ years of ownership was probably pretty easy as the car was purchased without an engine and none was installed until a couple months ago. Still, after spending the $ to have a proper motor built and installed you would think the owner would spin it around the block at least. Somebody had to drive it after the install to confirm it would run.

Chip

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
I was at the "The Quail" a few weeks back. It was awesome to see in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
If you were EP, it wouldn't be a problem!!!!!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
This I assume is at the Quail, these were sent to me by a friend that was there.

Attachments

• Lola1.jpg
    Lola1.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 387
  • Lola2.jpg
    Lola2.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 379
  • Lola3.jpg
    Lola3.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 327

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Ford (Lotus) Cortina tailamps.

See note on bottom of spec sheet: 440# of ballast required to bring it to an approved FIA race weight minimum. :wink

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Drive it? Yes!

Ed

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
I have always thought Lola coupes are SO cool!

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Looks like a very nice car.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Cool pics! When were the pics of the coupe taken?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Terry if you are asking about the ones I posted, A friend of mine was in Cali at the Pebble Beach week, and he took them and sent them to me, I believe this was at the event called the Quail.

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007

If you were asking about mine, they were taken at my www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com dealership in Wichita Falls, Texas, on our wedding day, Valentine's Day, Feb 14, 1984. Hard to believe, but this is my 50th year in business at the same location. I started it as a one man store in 1966, when I was 30, and now I'm 80. Time sure flies when you're having fun!

Cheers,

Eddie FourFather Hill

Last edited:

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Eddie:
That's an early T70? It doesn't have the twin covered lights, no?

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Mark III GT Coupe, #SL73/117. Chassis completed August 25, 1967. Fitted with 5.5 litre Chevrolet. To James Garner's American International Racing Team

And on the bittersweet day that it left Texas on its way to Belgium-

The last time I checked on the Lola , it was in France with an asking price of about two million US dollars.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Good grief that car is tiny! Or its owner is a bit bigger than the average guy. 'Have to wonder if he could shoehorn himself into it today... (scratch my last...'just read the next-to-last paragraph)

'Haven't seen before. Thanks for the post.

No kidding, It looks like a toy.