locked steering column

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
I parked the car the other day with the steering wheel turned slightly to the right.

Today I can't unlock the steering column, or turn the key. Tried the usual: jiggle the key, turn wheel from lock to lock, tilt the column,
but no joy.

Any other ideas?

Battery is charged.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Turn the wheel slightly while turning the key in ignition. This will unlock the steering wheel lock.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
jiggle the key, turn wheel

1. Make sure you have the right key.

2. Go do some more jiggling... you'll get it.

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Thanks, tried both keys, both sides, over every mm of wheel movement, no luck.

Tomorrow I guess I'll try to jack it up and see if I can manually turn the front wheels to see if that lets the steering wheel release the sprag, or what ever is in the steering lock..

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
As soon as the key turns the wheel will unlock.

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Jacked up the front, tires will turn the steering wheel but still no luck getting ignition to release. I don't want to put to much force on the steering wheel for fear of hurting the lock. So the obvious stuff didn't work.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Lock lubricant maybe...check what workshop manual says

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You do have to give it a tug. Try it on one of your other vehicles.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I seem to remember somewhere that the GT has a Ford Focus steering column. This is a common problem with the Ford Focus. Maybe a look into their forums would help

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I also see hitting the key with a hammer a good shot works, not for the faint of heart,

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Get a new key cylinder. Good luck!

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
I seem to remember somewhere that the GT has a Ford Focus steering column. This is a common problem with the Ford Focus. Maybe a look into their forums would help

Yeah, I think a new lock cylinder is in my future. I'm going to try vibrating the lock and then hitting it before I resort to a locksmith to drill the cylinder.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Maybe a little WD-40 sprayed into the cylinder under pressure may help

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Key goes in all the way in smoothly, so it doesn't seem to be a lube issue, but I can try.

Does anyone know if the motorcraft SW6208 part has all the tumblers so I can re-key with my existing key? I haven't found the Strattec Ford Ignition Service Kit part number for the GT. It "seems like it is NOT" a Focus part (at least 2005 or 2006) which i think may be motorcraft SW6285 or strattec 707592

Strattec site doesn't list the GT as a model. so I can't confirm if the GT ignition is the same as a focus

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Remember reading steering column was from Aston Martin

Google locked ford steering wheel

http://www.asap-locksmith-buffalo-ny.com/asap-how-to-unlock-car-steering-wheel.html

Lots sites with tips on steps to trouble shoot: hold wheel, pull key 1/16th out, springy v. Hard turn resistance, even vacuum to get lint out

Last edited:

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I parked the car the other day with the steering wheel turned slightly to the right.

Today I can't unlock the steering column, or turn the key. Tried the usual: jiggle the key, turn wheel from lock to lock, tilt the column,
but no joy.

Any other ideas?

Battery is charged.

Any news yet?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Mine got "locked" on a slight incline parked uphill. It took quite a tug to get the key to unwedge. So technowhizzes, how do the purely electric/electronic keys work with the fob and the start button? Doesn't the steering column lock?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Newer cars

The locking wheel is an antitheft mechanism. If the newer electronic keys have it I haven't found it. You must insert physical key into column to u lock which is not needed in newer cars.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Just for giggles, try the key in the door to confirm your not somehow using a different key (just a shot). After that, I would continue on your current plan; jack up the front and try to relieve pressure on the column lock. I know a guy who can disable the column lock and start the car before you can your dry cleaning but we'd have to bail him out to get his help.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ive done that... moving cars around, wrong key, fits in perfect, dont turn, WTF... oh right, this isnt the key....

Just for giggles, try the key in the door to confirm your not somehow using a different key (just a shot).