Just purchased 06 white/blue GT Need recommended parts source

hhaleblian

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 25, 2020
Crystal Lake Il
Looking for hood and clamshell struts, steering wheel emblem, floor mats, oil and air filter, rear struts weeping slightly. Appreciate any and all advice. hh

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Your local Ford Dealer.
Andy (ajb)

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Or Rich Brooks GT guy

Reactions: GT Venum

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
For Ford sourced parts order from Tasca Ford (www.tascaparts.com). With shipping they were tons cheaper than the local dealer.

Ford oil I ordered from Rock Auto. Again, with shipping still lots cheaper than local dealer.

Struts someone here has equivalents. Search can be your friend.

Steering wheel emblem can't be gotten from Ford. Someone here used to make one but I don't know if he still does.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
In summary;

1. We have front and rear gas struts in stock;
2. Steering wheel emblem repair - can be sent to Elite Autos to be repaired and returned
3. Floor mats: likely multiple options
4. Oil and Filter : Rock Auto or TASCA are good choices
5. Rear shocks - probably TASCA will be least expensive

Reactions: kumar

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
My rear shocks are weeping slightly also - any advice on how to tell when it is time to replace? Thanks!

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Mann makes the Motorcraft filer, common to many BMW's as well. Oil I use motorcraft.

If your struts are leaking, consider an upgrade to Scotts Ohlins. Not only will they ride and handle better (especially street use), you can also have them rebuilt, eliminating this issue in the future. Scott was one of the engineers that designed the 05-06 GT. Note I have no affiliation beyond being a happy customer).

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
My rear shocks are weeping slightly also - any advice on how to tell when it is time to replace? Thanks!

That's a good question - not sure there's a definitive answer. Slight weeps are OK, I guess, but a sign that the shock it losing its pressure. If the entire shock body is covered in oil, it's time. But honestly - just based on the calendar, it's time. Replacing shocks once every 15-years is probably not excessive in anyone's book.

Reactions: GT@50

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
Looking for hood and clamshell struts, steering wheel emblem, floor mats, oil and air filter, rear struts weeping slightly. Appreciate any and all advice. hh

Welcome aboard and congrats on the GT!!!!!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Re the hood and clamshell struts, I’ll put in a shameless plug for Kendall at nota4re/cooltech.

I have gone through several sets from the Ford supply system in the last 4 years. It appears even the “new” ones were made 15 years ago. They don’t last.

I just put on the ones from Cooltech, and these definitely have more oomph than the stock struts. They are made under contract for Cooltech. Don’t bother with the OEM.

Re shocks: shocks can weep a bit with no degradation in performance. Wipe them clean and see how much additional weeping you get. If the weep turns into a drip at the bottom of the shock, you will need to replace them.

How many (s)miles on your car?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Get Scott Ahlman’s shocks! Nothing better!!