Just had my salvaged 2005 delivered

f4udriver

GT Owner
May 9, 2011
Springfield, Il.
New to the GT but not exotic cars. I bid on a 2005 that went through a barb wire fence. After looking the car over it will need a complete repaint.

I have found a supplier for most of the parts I will need on this forum but I will still need the rear glass.

Anyway I have some questions that i haven't been able to find on the forum yet.

1. The windshield has scratches on it. Any idea if they can be buffed out and not be unsafe. I haven't asked the glass shop yet and there is the possibility that even if they can do it, it may not be the best way to go.

2. Since it will have a salvage title for the rest of it's life, will a color change make much of a difference in value in the future. I assume that anyone who is interested in the price savings of the salvage value might not care that the color has been changed. I am not sure how long I will keep it but I like it more and more every time I look at it.

3. I am figuring a 20 to 30K discount due to the salvage title but I have been told that people who wish to use it as a race car would not care about the title, and would pay a little better rather then a premium for a perfect car.

It has 8,000 miles and is currently red with a white stripe. Damage is light other then a lot of scratches. There are two dents on the left side, two broken mirrors, 2 under body pieces damaged, and the power steering cooler is damaged. Plus the broken rear glass and scratches on the windshield and head lights.

I have taken hundreds of pictures figuring that it would distinguish the car in the future from one that had hit a telephone pole.

I am convinced that these cars will appreciate quickly and I hope that the salvage titled vehicles will be lifted up with the ones that haven't been damaged.

Thanks in advance

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.
Would be cool to see some pictures of your new GT when you get the chance. How long have you been flying F4U Corsairs?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Keep it same color; less is more on story cars

f4udriver

GT Owner
May 9, 2011
Springfield, Il.
photo.jpg

Not sure how to post pictures I hope this works. This picture will not show all of the scratches but it gives an idea that the damage is mostly all cosmetic.

I bought my P-51 "Worry Bird" in 1989 and the Corsair "Flying Nightmare" in 1999

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
It has 8,000 miles and is currently red with a white stripe. Damage is light other then a lot of scratches. There are two dents on the left side, two broken mirrors, 2 under body pieces damaged, and the power steering cooler is damaged. Plus the broken rear glass and scratches on the windshield and head lights.

Amazing this totals a GT. :eek

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Not sure how to post pictures I hope this works. This picture will not show all of the scratches but it gives an idea that the damage is mostly all cosmetic.

HOW IN THE WORLD can that be a "salvage" car?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless there is a ton of damage on the driver's side & underneath (suspension/chassis?), I just can't understand that designation!

(Edit: 'Only other thing I can think of is the price of replacement parts must have R-E-A-L-L-Y gotten out of hand.)

Last edited:

f4udriver

GT Owner
May 9, 2011
Springfield, Il.
It was listed on Cranky Ape and I never thought I would get it for where I set my maximum bid. But it came in 1,500 under my max. I was told by a friend in the business who has the exact same car that he sees heavily damaged cars go for about the same as I paid.

I am pretty excited with this investment so far. Just drove it from the 18 wheeler on to a lift and it seems to be a very well built car with a great feel.

Probably the biggest value is that I will be into it so right that I won't worry about putting a miles on it.

Right now I figure my repairs with a repaint will be around 15K. Could be worse if I have to replace the windshield and both headlights. I have 2 excellent painters to choose from who are very reasonable and very capable. One of the guys is a well known custom painter and I could go with a candy or something similar. Although I am aware that would be considered a sacrilege on this site.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
HOW IN THE WORLD can that be a "salvage" car?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless there is a ton of damage on the driver's side & underneath (suspension/chassis?), I just can't understand that designation!

(Edit: 'Only other thing I can think of is the price of replacement parts must have R-E-A-L-L-Y gotten out of hand.)

+1

Good for you F4udriver for being in the right place at the right time.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
As above, keep it original color, keep everything as original as possible if you have any hopes of getting a profit out of it later, even as a salvage car.

Also, keep those photos.....

f4udriver

GT Owner
May 9, 2011
Springfield, Il.
This is the worst of the damage
P1040978.jpg

P1040971.jpg

The piece under the radiator is beyond repair and the pan under the engine is damaged but not bad enough to be replaced I just want to do it right.

I don't know why they totaled it but I am glad they did.

My guess is they saw that it was damaged virtually everywhere you looked and they decided to total it.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
WOW :eek:eek:eek
Not only good for you, but GREAT FOR YOU :thumbsup

I love seeing good things happen, you must have been paying it forward most of your life for this to happen, love it:rofl

Yes, Keep it O.G. Color or Go RETRO for the track and racer enthusiasts. White with black stripes, numbers etc.....

CONGRATS!!!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't know why this car was a savage the damage from the photo don't seem that bad at all.

If you change the color and do it right it would be very expensive. Right being you cannot tell the color was changed. There are a number of places that are painted type OEM color that are not accessible or not normally seen that would require a complete disassembly to do right. Besides Frank would say it was painted the right color already.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Just saw the photos. If that car is totaled, I'm the next Pope. :screwy:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I don't know why this car was a savage the damage from the photo don't seem that bad at all.

If you change the color and do it right it would be very expensive. Right being you cannot tell the color was changed. There are a number of places that are painted type OEM color that are not accessible or not normally seen that would require a complete disassembly to do right.

What he said. :)

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
"Totaled" used to mean it would cost more to fix than a car is worth. Over the years salvage values grew and insurance companies figured that into the equation. Generally if damage is at or around 50% value they can, or not, "total" it. Easier on the customer and the ins. company. No whining about poor repairs....no arguing about diminshed value. Better for both parties. Especially on a high-line car or exotic where the customer is going to be hard to please the insurance will just pay the value of the car to the owner and take the car and sell it. Especialy if the customer demands this (which he may get or not but doesn't hurt to ask). I would say this is the case here. Some insurance companies do not "brand" a title irregardless of the amount of damage. Most do. There lies the biggest issue. No matter how well it is repaired or how small amount of damage it hurts big time to have a "branded" title. Great car to drive or be raced,,,,,,,but resale...not so much. Definitely keep the orig color And I wouldn't paint more than absolutely necessary even if it meant leaving a small scratch or two on a few panels. Originality is key. Cover up the least.

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
'Just saw the photos. If that car is totaled, I'm the next Pope. :screwy:

Black smoke was seen coming out of Black Ice's exhaust.......... Pope EP.........

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Andys view was if every panel has a ding, it's impossible to do economically

The clamshell is like $40k I think

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Maybe it's time for a new white and orange

H

HHGT

British Racing Green...All the way.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
If the argument is it will never overcome the title issue, I don't see the logic in trying so hard to keep it original or not to fix all the flaws. I would paint it 1970 Calypso Orange with metallic charcoal stripes!