Just as awesome inside too

Aug 25, 2006
BTW: I appreciate all the comments from all (the good, the bad, and the ugly… I have thick skin LOL) as my project unfolds.

I know only too well that one man's sugar is another man's vinegar and yet the process of sharing allows folks to consider twist and tweaks that have envisioned as well.

For many “Blue” will forever be the Ford color however for myself a bit of a tradition has evolved over the years with the “Redheads” that are moved through my facility. One of my first was the “Testerosso” many years ago whose name affectionately means “Redhead”

Takes care

Shadowman

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Shadowman, do Bony & I get to see this beauty when we come to see you? I sure hope so. I've got a feeling it's almost like getting into Groom Lake. See you soon.

Aug 25, 2006
It is time to move this thread back up.

The Forum has been quiet lately as such I figured it was time to present a bit more eye candy.

The one picture shows the wonderful intercooler core which resides directly under the supercharger as the point of first contact for the supercharger's discharge air through which it is cooled before quickly filling the cylinders of the gal.

The second is simply a picture of my on going work in progress.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC01425.JPG
    DSC01425.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC01444.JPG
    DSC01444.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
That looks great. Like almost a "negative" of the stock ford offering....

Shadowman - was the whipple powdercoated?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
LOOKING GREAT, Can't wait to see your gal in person!:wink

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you

Certainly the following is subjectively speaking; "she looks fricken "awesome"

Thanks folks

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
Here is yet another update

Here are a few pictures of the gal and she continues to be massaged.

A couple items (IMO) worthy of mentioning;

1. The OEM exhaust manifolds seem to be restrictive as they funnel through a very small opening before being united with the cat section.

2. My right side half shaft was leaking through the spline area within the coupler however the leak was not visible until the half shaft was removed.

3. My right side half shaft bolts were as follows; 1 very tight; as in needed a 2 foot long breaker bar to break it loose and the other was a bit more than snug.

4. The left side half shaft bolts were both very tight and needed the 2 foot breaker bar to loosen them.

5. Both sides have the hardened washers.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC01468.JPG
    DSC01468.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC01465.JPG
    DSC01465.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC01461.JPG
    DSC01461.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 192

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Looks great and thanks for sharing!

Jason is making mine a "yellowhead" :D

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Shadow - that looks great. The 'heart of the volcano' or 'eye of the storm' - reminds me of a Lotus engine I saw many years ago with some red parts tucked away. Terrific work. :cheers

Aug 25, 2006
UPDATE

Well; the Stainless Works header back; including small metal bed cats exhaust system is installed.

I will write more and post a few picture later however the looks alone are worth the price of admission.

The engine bay looks fricken awesome

Takes care

Shadowman

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Can't wait to see it!

Aug 25, 2006
I am back

First of all let me share that Al Noe aka Stainless Works has remained a pleasure to work with throughout the purchase and installation process. I wanted to get the first of the 4 systems purchased installed on my gal so I could get a handle on the process so as to assist with the installation of the next 3 systems that are in the "Q"

The process albeit a bit lengthy; some of this as the result of my anal nature and also the moderate pace that I created. As I have shared before; for me it is as much about the process as the results.

Now even though the exhaust “can” be installed without removing the gal's ass I am in the process of completing the rear bumper delete so exposing her ass only made sense. I can also share that you have to remove the lower belly pans and once you have done this the removal of the rear screen and bumper take only a few “no” risk minutes as such I would recommend it.

Regardless there are no special tools required only the proper mindset and likely 10-12 hours if you have never been through it before. The OEM exhaust needs to be completely removed which is a very straightforward process however at times tedious and awkward and then the process of installing the Stainless Works system can commence. With the rear screen out of the way the feeding of the headers in through the back is easy and painless however “if” you come in from behind you will need to drop the half shafts which is a great time to update the hardware and yet if you prefer not to drop the half shafts then you will be feeding the headers in from along side the engine bay which is exactly how Stainless Works describes the process in their instructions. FYI: dropping the half shafts is a very simple process and once again requires no special tools; except for a torque wrench during reassembly.

Now before you get started you will need 16 new exhausts nuts and IMO new gaskets, and I also recommend having a couple spare exhaust studs on hand just incase you find a frozen nut. FYI the exhaust studs all come out and go back in very easy; in fact you will have to remove two of them during the OEM disassembly process and they will remain out until after you insert the first portion of the driver side header. I had all of studs out at one time or another getting to know her and figuring out the easiest installation process. The right side OEM exhaust manifold is able to be removed and then the new headers installs with all of the exhaust studs in place however the left side OEM exhaust manifold requires that two of the studs to be removed during the OEM disassembly process and then left out until the header is set into place and then it is a walk in the pack

So what was the worst part; great question. For me it was working through the wee hours and having at least one verification question for Al and then having to wait hours until he was back on line. As for the worst part of the mechanical process; I would say that removing the OEM systems is far more awkward when compared to installing the new Stainless Works systems however the challenges presented by the Stainless Works system were as follows; understanding the installation sequence with particular reference to the clocking of the cats. I would also say that even though the system arrived with the merge collectors already pre-fit I took the time to tape off the tubes leaving approximately 1 ½” at the end from which I completely removed the ceramic coating so as to insure a nice smooth fit during installation as well to insure the ease of removal at some later time. I also applied a small amount of anti-seize inside the slip joints within the merge collectors, etc which likely made the installation easier and will also make future service easier too. Then I spent a few hours thermal wrapping a couple of the tubes before installing the system however once the system was installed I removed it because it simply is not needed and I was not able to get the look that I wanted. I also discussed with at least one other Forum member (also having the system installed) about wrapping the rear tail pipe/H pipe section however after holding the section on my hand there is so little material (meaning tubing) that in the end wrapping it would been more an exercise in futility when compared to offering any measurable reduction in radiant heat. The only secondary heat wrap that I used is at the driver side rear of the transaxle at which there is a plug there that IMO is close enough to the exhaust that over time would likely become brittle as the result of the heat cycling. I used a high temperature spark plug boot sock (the same material as is used OEM on these gals covering the copper EGR tube) which is an item used when the headers will likely melt the surrounding spark plug boot. These boot socks can be rested directly on the headers with no ill effects. In addition all of the OEM heat shields around the ass of the gal remain intact; the only heat shields removed are those that are connected to and encase the OEM cast iron manifolds. The OEM cast iron manifolds are anything but light as such the captured/radiant heat generated by them was extreme as such the OEM tin shields were a requirement whereas with the ceramic/thermal coated headers I suspect the measured temperature in that area will be much less.

I still need to hook up the O2 sensors, secure the clamps …yadayadayada nevertheless here is where we are and the project/process contiues.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC01610.JPG
    DSC01610.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC01640.JPG
    DSC01640.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC01643.JPG
    DSC01643.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC01646.JPG
    DSC01646.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC01650.JPG
    DSC01650.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 197

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Very nice Bill. To me that is the cleanest system I have seen. I like the idea that it is straight out and sits low in the car thus keeping the heat away from the clam shell. Can't wait to hear it. Just beautiful.:thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Beautiful, lightweight, clean and eco friendly! The flow must be awesome, and the weight savings huge.

My bet is it will be much louder than my Heffner with the cats. I wonder what it would sound like with the cats removed, strait pipes, with a crossover?

Aug 25, 2006
Beautiful, lightweight, clean and eco friendly! The flow must be awesome, and the weight savings huge.

My bet is it will be much louder than my Heffner with the cats. I wonder what it would sound like with the cats removed, strait pipes, with a crossover?

Yes it meets all the basis requirements. Now as for the sound; I have listened to the sound clips several times created during the R&D process and I think that is sounds mean but well within reasonable. As for with no cats......................................... WOW!!! Extreme would not be a colorful enough word however converting it for a day at the track would be VERY easy as they sell a slip on tail section with no cats aka test pipe.

Speaking of sound I chatted with Al aka Stainless works today because he is fabricating a couple modified H pipe pieces for the two gals soon to be bumper deleted and initially I said; take the H pipe out of it to which he said that it in fact dropped the decibels by a few points as such the H pipe remains.

Sadly the pictures do not do the system justice as up close and personal it is stunning

Thank you all for the kind words

Shadowman

06gt1858

GT Owner
Jan 29, 2007
Lodi Ca.
Looks great, glad you have a jump on the procedures of the install, will help on install day for my system... I can see what you are talking about on the thermal rap not much to cover , looks great without it...thanks Bill,

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Beautiful! Great write-up! Looking forward to your impressions of the sound quality and level! Thanks!

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
First class as always. Once again I've followed your (Shadowman's) lead and once again I'm confident that I will be totally satisfied. I can't wait to start the install ...... and based upon the appearance of the factory exhaust manifolds, I believe it's possible that a few ponnies may be freed up. Thanks for your selfless and most astute write up ...... I (we) greatly appreciate your ground breaking efforts.

gtkurt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 25, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona

Stainless Works is overnighting my no cat system Monday 03/26/07 just confirmed with Al. I am also having the Whipple installed at the same time I will post a sound report as soon as possible.

Nice work Shadowman every thing looks great!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Stainless Works is overnighting my no cat system Monday 03/26/07 just confirmed with Al. I am also having the Whipple installed at the same time I will post a sound report as soon as possible.

Nice work Shadowman every thing looks great!

There will be no doubt about the power under your hood without even seeing the Whipple. You are going to need earplugs protect your hearing, but it will be even louder outside the car. I am sure the sound will be incredible and one that will leave a lasting impression.