John Surtees son Henry dies at track

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
John Surtees, a friend of ours ,in the Jag world, test driver,EVERYTHING winner and motorcycle champ winners 18 year old son died in a freak f -2 accident. Balls of steal,as seen driving lolas past gt40's in the early days....loss beyond words..look him up on the web. Lots of gt references in the old days....including David Hobbs..God speed..gtjoey 1314

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I think the BIG MAN upstairs is calling up a lot of the good ones recently. Somethin' must be going on.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Very sad - I heard about it just after it happened.

He was hit by a runaway wheel from an earlier accident which knocked him out and then he went at full speed, unconscious, into the barrier.

18 years old is tragic, it really is....

Thoughts to his family.

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Very, very sad! PD

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Trajedy, can imagine losing my daughter near the same age. Putting oneself in harms way has both triumph and trajedy, unfortunately, the trajedy often exceeds any rewards of the triumphs.

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
Very sad indeed, I had the pleasure of spending the day with Henry a couple of months ago at Brands Hatch.

A very polite and courteous young man.

A tragic loss.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Sad indeed. Youtube has video of the incident. Looks trivial at first but the replay shows the tire bouncing off his helmet while at full speed. Open wheel racing is definitely quite dangerous. I have a friend who raced formula cars and was knocked out by a tire once. He also launched airborne once after tire to tire contact. His belly pan left a mark on top of another guys helmet. Makes me rethink driving the Caterham, with my head out in the breeze.

H

HHGT

Rip....

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I have two sons, the youngest of which raced a GT1 Vette from 16 to 21 years of age. I would not even be able to phathom my life after the loss of one of my sons. They are both the world to me. My sincerest sympathies.