Joe Gibbs and Toyota!!

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
am I truly the only redneck on this site? I know everyone is an F1 fan but racing is racing and Gibb's to Toyota is huge.... not only a great race team moving to overseas automotive (kinda but not really) but it puts Toyota into a serious contender-ship :)willy) for the cup next year....

Any thought or am I gonna get boooooooo'd off of the stage here?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
am I truly the only redneck on this site? I know everyone is an F1 fan but racing is racing and Gibb's to Toyota is huge.... not only a great race team moving to overseas automotive (kinda but not really) but it puts Toyota into a serious contender-ship :)willy) for the cup next year....

Any thought or am I gonna get boooooooo'd off of the stage here?

Who's Joe Gibbs? Never heard of him. :wink

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Not good for team USA:bored

M

Mark O

Who's Joe Gibbs? Never heard of him. :wink

Is he another Bee Gees brother?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Show some respect for the Gibberizer :)

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
...even though we now have rice burners in Nascar... what is next Montrachet in Victory Lane?

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
As another OLD SCHOOL NASCAR FAN, it doesnt matter anymore, its all pro wrestling anyway :thumbsup DO YOU DRIVE A TAURUS COUPE? a dodge charger coupe? ratings are going down like the titanic and if you look closely alot of seats are not filled. Your right it stinks, remember when awsum bill broke 200 in a tbird, HOW MANY TBIRDS DID FORD SELL!!!!! ALOT !! . Old man just talking again. P.S. Look at the old tapes 60"s through 80' those guys had real male balls....gtjoey 1314 :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
As another OLD SCHOOL NASCAR FAN, it doesnt matter anymore, its all pro wrestling anyway :thumbsup DO YOU DRIVE A TAURUS COUPE? a dodge charger coupe?

I thought I was the only person in America who was disgusted by that!!!!!

'Sent a snail mail to NASCAR 'couple years back asking 'em what the deal was with that...and ALSO asking the same question about allowing V-8's & rear wheel drive in cars that only come from the factory with V-6's and FRONT wheel drive. How are THEY "stock"?

'Coarse, we all KNOW the answers ... but, I wanted 2C how & if they'd reply.

They didn't.

('Also think "restrictor plates" suck. :thumbsdow)

Last edited:

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Joey is right on............NASCAR has changed to become the ultimate SHOW...no more real racing?????

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Gibbs may help Toyota become more competive, but I'm with gtjoey.
I kind of stopped watching when ESPN lost its original coverage
(early 90's?). Then it used to be just the Sunday race coverage and a weekly 1/2 hour show, Inside Winston Cup with Ned Jarrett. Perfect!

Since SPEED went "NASCAR all day every day" the TV coverage has reached SATURATION. No wonder the numbers are down. Haven't they ever heard of too much of a good thing? How many times can you ask drivers stupid questions and expect anything but cliche answers and the required sponsor plug, followed by the profile shot of them drinking? :ack

Speed has so much NASCAR I feel sorry for asking my cable co. to carry it. Good thing they have great F1 coverage or I'd drop it.

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Even though I no longer have my GT :frown I will wade in on this one.

I agree, and am not happy about JGR going to Toyota. There are several reasons why they did it; MONEY, JGR did not like being 2nd or 3rd among the Chevy teams (they will now be the #1 Toyota team), and Toyota will no longer have to qualify to get into races (which they usually did not make this year) - they just bought and paid for 3 cars within the top 35 owner's points, so no more qualifying.

I just can't picture Tony Stewart driving a Camry......

H

HHGT

I never understood NASCAR. As soon as I see NASCAR airing on the SPEED channel, I hit the Up or Down keys almost instantly. Honestly, I would rather watch the bikini contests on NOPI:biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Honestly, I would rather watch the bikini contests on NOPI:biggrin

Well -DUH! (Assuming they were both on at the same time!:lol)

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
As another OLD SCHOOL NASCAR FAN, it doesnt matter anymore, its all pro wrestling anyway :thumbsup DO YOU DRIVE A TAURUS COUPE? a dodge charger coupe? ratings are going down like the titanic and if you look closely alot of seats are not filled. Your right it stinks, remember when awsum bill broke 200 in a tbird, HOW MANY TBIRDS DID FORD SELL!!!!! ALOT !! . Old man just talking again. P.S. Look at the old tapes 60"s through 80' those guys had real male balls....gtjoey 1314 :thumbsup

I could not agree with you more. I worked a bit in nascar back in the 70's when it was still racing and you used what was being sold currently at the dealer pretty much. Today it is nothing more than spec racing using all aftermarket components. If someone could show me one, just one part that is OEM I will eat my shorts with mustard on em too. It's all a big phoney show now. :ack

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
1st off, sorry I keep postin under general discussions... I hate seeing my posts moved because that means I'm an idiot and didn't do right ( so sorry for the effort put in to move my thread ) I promise to be better next thread..:wink

A lot of true great responses guys.... Someone mentioned "saturation" WOW... hit that one on the head... the saturation has actually sparked interest elsewhere such as F1 (sshhh!) but its true... My guy has been Mark Martin for the last 5-7 years and now he's retiring and only racing... maybe every other if I'm lucky... he's one of the old timers that is still competing in the top 10..

Waltrip is an idiot and Stewart I swear is Bi-Polar... Not been wanting to like Jr. because of the whole band wagon thing, but..... I like him... a lot..... Younger guy with old school (traditional) manuerisms????? You know what I mean.... He's respected and he respects which is a very important value to me...... You can judge a person by how they respect others more than you can judge a person by how many people respect them (get my drift?) Hey!! that should be a copy write saying there.... all right.. I'm babbling now so I'll stop.

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
... Not been wanting to like Jr. because of the whole band wagon thing, but..... I like him... a lot..... Younger guy with old school (traditional) manuerisms????? You know what I mean.... He's respected and he respects which is a very important value to me...... You can judge a person by how they respect others more than you can judge a person by how many people respect them (get my drift?)

How could anyone not like Jr? :thumbsup Just listen to him - always calm, laid back, not pretensive - just a good kid and he always says something that cracks me up. I am not afraid to admit that I actually like Nascar racing - there are a lot of racing snobs who put it down, but Cup racing is always closer (feet, or inches) than most other forms of racing. And those that kid themselves that going in circles is easy don't know. Juan Pablo said driving the Cup car is a lot harder than F1 - the skill level is there in Cup. But the main reason (IMO) that people like Nascar is because of the drivers. Whether you like them or not, there are some really great characters and once you choose a favorite or two it is great fun following them and the racing is almost always close.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If someone could show me one, just one part that is OEM I will eat my shorts with mustard on em too. :ack

THE WHEEL'S BOLT PATTERN!!!

May I pass you the "Grey Poupon", Tony???:rofl

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
THE WHEEL'S BOLT PATTERN!!!

May I pass you the "Grey Poupon", Tony???:rofl

Oh man! You got me on that one. Now I know I owe you a dinner Larry. As for Mr. Stunts, I can appreciate your enthusiasum. I grew up in a different time, a much simpler time, a time of much less regulation in racing. Much of the stuff that they were using then you could buy at your local dealership. My old heros are gone from the sport now and it is harder for me to relate to it like I once did. It's more about marketing & big business these days, I guess. :wink

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
My guy has been Mark Martin for the last 5-7 years and now he's retiring ...

He's never been "my guy" - though I have no neg. feelings about him at all. But, I sure felt sick when th' ol' guy got passed on the last lap at Daytona.

'Wanted to SHOOT what's-his-name for doin' that.

Crap. That stunk. :frown

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
My views I sent to JD Gibbs and Joe as well as a few sponsors.

Chevrolet built the team to what it is today.
Now that it is fully developed they hand it over to Toyota.
So its not loyalty or racing its simply they bought their way in to automatic qualifying.

Here is something to ponder.
  • If a COT built car wins and it is not a Ford, Chevy, Mopar or Toyota who will they say won?
  • Toyota never built a V8 push rod center block cam motor ever.
  • Cubic in must be 350 to 356 cu in push rod valve train
  • NASCAR spec said you must run one based on a production Cast Iron block.
  • Ford block is a 351 Windsor
  • Chevy 350 small block
  • Dodge 360 with 340 crank
NASCAR wanted the "T" money so bad they gave them one of each of the USA manufactures and said take what ever you like from all 3 and make your own.

So now I assume what used to be;
Build your best car and best team and best driver and see if you can beat the other guy.
Is now; get into the 4 wheel thing and drive around in circles but stay real close to each other and oh don't forget a sticker on the bumper so we can identify which MFG gave you the cash.

All the anouncers get paid to say Toyota's name now. I have never heard so much praise for cars running in last place heck if a Ford wins all you hear is look at that a Toyota had a good run he made it up to 22 before he blew up.

It is just going to suck like Indy & Cart did when you no longer have a team a car and a driver you could cheer for.

I wanted the Z06 pace car to stay on the track and waste a Toyota last week....now that would be cool.

Ok you guys pushed my button.......