JBA headers

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
the sound did get a lot louder, I would compare it to the ford rear exit set up with the little collector mufflers, and as for power unfortunatly my dyno day was cancelled and as we speak, this is the current condition of my car I had a flat tire so my wheel is at the tire shop :frown however I know for a fact that the car is making good power, just ask doctorV8:biggrin

gtonstands001.jpg

gtonstands003.jpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Looks like an HD-9. :thumbsup

You should of gotten 2 original RJ-45 rolling jacks, they make life much easier. Unfortunately, Bendpak doesn't sell the made in USA true rolling jacks anymore. IMHO now they sell made in China sliding jacks! :thumbsdow Beware! If you want made in China jacks you can get them for about 1/2 the price somewhere else, rather then pay what Bendpak charges for their new and improved RJ-45 "rolling jack"

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

You should of gotten 2 original RJ-45 rolling jacks, they make life much easier. Unfortunately, Bendpak doesn't sell the made in USA true rolling jacks anymore. IMHO now they sell made in China sliding jacks! :thumbsdow Beware! If you want made in China jacks you can get them for about 1/2 the price somewhere else, rather then pay what Bendpak charges for their new and improved RJ-45 "rolling jack"

I know, I should have gotten the jacks I truly didnt think I needed them, but I was very wrong,:frown I will get something in the near future to address this problem, but for now I was lucky enough that the jack point on the car cleared the inside of the rails as to allow me to put jack stand on the bottom and lower the car onto them, it worked out pretty good. Im off to get my wheel and tire back from the shop later on today, I would say I would like to dyno the car tomorrow, but I wont say anything as everytime I have tried to dyno the car lately something else has come up:thumbsdow.

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
soroush

Did you have to remove the rear hatch ? Did you have to move the CV joints?:confused

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

mine cost $1,125 from Bendpak.....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
mine cost $1,125 from Bendpak.....

I hope you got the jacks with the wheels (rollers) not the sliding blocks, which are on the new and "improved" version.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Did you have to remove the rear hatch ? Did you have to move the CV joints?:confused

No on the rear hatch, but yes on the half shafts, then the rest of the install was a breeze.:thumbsup

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I hope you got the jacks with the wheels (rollers) not the sliding blocks, which are on the new and "improved" version.

Im going to look into that I wonder if I should get two of them as to be able to raise the whole car off the lift.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Headers and Power Output

You will find the cylinder scavenging is improved with individual headers. There is a relationship to the length which has to do with the characteristics of the engine and the rpm at which the power peak and torque peak will occur. The general negative with a supercharged engine is the improved scavenging can reduce the effective boost PSI. With higher than stock PSI pullys, this reduction is mitgated and power output substantially improved over the stock system...again, dependent upon knowledgeable tuning. Retuning is also a necessity with the headers when changing from stock to individual runners. The closer to equal length the individual runners are, the better the overall performance of the engine will be. A guy in Minneapolis with a company called "Headers by Ed" has researched header design very thoroughly over many years, and the data on his site is interesting reading.

I am sure "Shadowman" and a couple of others on this forum can address the general specifics of their GT tuning experience with regard to supercharger manufacturer, header manufacturers, tubing lengths, cats or not, and muffling systems. They are the folks who really know the specific impacts on the Ford GT.

Just got them, they arrived early this morning and as such I didnt have time to take any pic, they will go on the car this weekend and will dyno soon after, I currently have the ford long tubes and....well..... they have been pretty dissapointing, my car made less power on the dyno with the long tubes than it did with the manifold and catback.:willy I couldnt believe it. so off with the ford and let see if Mr Jay Bittle has a better idea, so I volunteer myself and the exhaust guiny pig.:banana

anyone else have the Jba setup?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Im going to look into that I wonder if I should get two of them as to be able to raise the whole car off the lift.

I got 2 jacks works great.

Aug 25, 2006
You will find the cylinder scavenging is improved with individual headers. There is a relationship to the length which has to do with the characteristics of the engine and the rpm at which the power peak and torque peak will occur. The general negative with a supercharged engine is the improved scavenging can reduce the effective boost PSI. With higher than stock PSI pullys, this reduction is mitgated and power output substantially improved over the stock system...again, dependent upon knowledgeable tuning. Retuning is also a necessity with the headers when changing from stock to individual runners. The closer to equal length the individual runners are, the better the overall performance of the engine will be. A guy in Minneapolis with a company called "Headers by Ed" has researched header design very thoroughly over many years, and the data on his site is interesting reading.

I am sure "Shadowman" and a couple of others on this forum can address the general specifics of their GT tuning experience with regard to supercharger manufacturer, header manufacturers, tubing lengths, cats or not, and muffling systems. They are the folks who really know the specific impacts on the Ford GT.

Very good comments with specific reference to the fact that improved scavenging will lower the measured boost number as can ported heads, larger valves, and cam profiles.

Now the lower measured boost does not necessarily mean less power but rather can indicate a more efficient system; resistance = boost and in the end what one really wants is as dense a fuel charge as possible while maintaining the desired air fuel ratio.

There is no doubt that a well designed long tube header system can create measured results; now this is not to say a shorty header cannot too however it is a different kettle of fish. Typically is is more difficult to create an equal length shorty header within a confined environment as such this is a significant benefit of long tube headers.

A well designed header system will draw the exhausts out of the gal aka an extractor however most do not live up to this. Furthermore the primary limiting factor is producing more power is the fuel and there is only so much one can do with 91 octane fuel and the ideas of self pumping drum fuel IMO is ridiculous not to mention the fact that with true racing fuels the service intervals need to be increased because of the natural process of it migrating into the oil/sump and never being able to be fully distillated out as such corrosion will become the by-product. With 91 octane fuel timing is far less aggressive and air fuel ratios are much lower than desirable for maximum power however in this case the additional fuel is being to combat combustion temperature hence detonation because of the lower octane.

In the ideal world every bit of fuel is burned during every combustion occurrence however with air fuel rations in the 11’s this cannot happen

I am asked all the time about headers and I like them; I like the way they look, the unique sound that they produce, and the fact that the radiant heat when compared to a cast iron manifold is measurably less; even with the heat shields because the cast iron manifolds migrate their heat throughout the gal’s heart. I also share that for most the measurable gain will be modest at best with most of it found on the big end which not where most play.

Takes care

Shadowman

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Thanks for responding so quickly, Shadowman!

My apologies to all on the Forum regarding my reference to "Headers by Ed" 's website. I have not visited the site in some time, and this morning noticed his site is not accessible, and may not have been for a while...don't know why. Ed has been doing header work for years, accompanied by lots of real world and dyno testing on his products, and was "the guru" to go to for lots of us old timers when seeking header information. Sometimes controversial, he has been discussed a lot in hot rod and custom car magazines over the years...at least 43 years since I first heard of him. I read a lot of his published stuff, and it was interesting. I hope nothing has happened to his operation.

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
interesting point about better excavenging leading to lower boost level, the one thing I had going for me as a measuring stick was my good friends ford gt aka doctorv8. we both have the whipple and the tunes are very close, I run one size smaller pulley on my whipple designed to make 21lbs of boost, while doctorv8 is running the 20lb pulley. On the dyno his car saw 19.3 lbs of boost, I had dyno'd my car with the old exhaust setup(ford long tubes straight to factory muffler) and my car saw the same boost level at 19.3. Im still awaiting to get my car dyno'd with the new exhaust setup(jba's) to see if the boost level has changed. if the boost level is at 19.3 I shall change the pulley again and try to make a bit more.

someone please stop me:biggrin

myheritage

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
San Diego, CA
JBA Headers

Wow, alot of conversation about the JBA headers. About a year ago Jay Bittle started the GT project. I had them on my car in Newport Beach last summer. My car had the mid-range headers, cats and stock muffler. On the first dyno my car was stock and made 485hp and 489tq at 12.1 PSI. We used that as the baseline. Jay's guys built a really cool muffler and with the headers, cats, tune, and new muffler, the car produced.... are you ready?...592 hp and 566tq at about the 6000 rpm range, the dyno wouldn't go any faster! Since then I've added a 2.9" pulley on my stock supercharger and now the car has... are you ready?... 621hp and 603tq !!! We're talking rear-wheel hp and tq which is all documented.

Jay's raced Fords for many years, and builds thousands of headers each year for racers and street cars. I went there 'cause he has a reputation for building performance and my numbers prove it. Check out the JBA site and there are youtube audio/video clips of my car. On the right side of the home page there's a Ford GT Heritage... click on it and the info is there. www.jbaheaders.com
Keep the Greasy Side Down!

myheritage

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
San Diego, CA
In a private post to me , someone stated the following:
“most cars that have the pulley and tune without any exhaust modification are making about 620 hp to the wheels, so people will not associate the power level to the exhaust.”
The comment above says that all you have to do is add a pulley and a tune and make 620 hp. Although that may be true, it is very expensive and very hard on your motor. Here’s why. First, you have to buy a new supercharger for $8-$10,000 and install it and tune it. Second, you’ve over-boosted the motor.
JBA’s objective was to stay within the perimeters of the way Ford built the motor, i.e., 13-14 lbs of boost. When you over-boost the motor beyond the 14 lbs, you need to run special fuel which is difficult to find when you need it, but more importantly, with 19-21 lbs of boost the head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, along with the rods, pistons and crank are not designed to take 19-21 lbs of boost. The cool thing about JBA’s headers is you get to the same place for a third of the price and in a boost range that the motor was designed for. Because the motor can now breathe extremely well, the engine will rev much faster and accelerate harder because there is no back pressure in the exhaust system. That’s why JBA headers can make the same amount of hp that others can without putting your motor at risk.
So, it IS the exhaust system and tune that truly makes reliable hp without the risk of doing damage to the motor.
So for those of you with doubts about the JBA headers, and having your car modified and tuned by JBA, I just want to let you know, I am extremely pleased with the way my car performs and I’m glad I had the professionals at JBA do the work.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The FGT motor is very stout. Many, including myself have added to the boost without any problems to date, even with 91 octane gas! With a good tune my motor seem to be very happy with a 19 lbs pulley on a Whipple. Would JBA headers be an improvement in power over the stock exhaust system, definitely yes! However for us in CA the Whipple is CARB approved and the JBA system is not. End of story.

Besides, JBA, maybe 25 HP, Whipple 200+!

:cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Here is my car with the Accufab X pipe, Heffner tune and pulley, and then with the Whipple, Accufab Throttle body, and Accudab X pipe. I think today with another tune I would have seen 620 on the before picture.

I agree with Ice's comments fully

Attachments

• Bony before and after.jpg
    Bony before and after.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 189

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
In the book BUILDING 4.6/5.4L FORD HORSEPOWER ON THE DYNO, flow-tech long tube headers were installed on a stock 03 cobra motor on an engine dyno. Hp was increased by 14, torque 13.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I am now running Stainless Works headers with short cats and think I might have picked up 5-10hp. But lots of eye candy... I am happy with the STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS that have been developed with SHADOWMAN's guidance.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
In a private post to me , someone stated the following:
“most cars that have the pulley and tune without any exhaust modification are making about 620 hp to the wheels, so people will not associate the power level to the exhaust.”
The comment above says that all you have to do is add a pulley and a tune and make 620 hp. Although that may be true, it is very expensive and very hard on your motor. Here’s why. First, you have to buy a new supercharger for $8-$10,000 and install it and tune it. Second, you’ve over-boosted the motor.
JBA’s objective was to stay within the perimeters of the way Ford built the motor, i.e., 13-14 lbs of boost. When you over-boost the motor beyond the 14 lbs, you need to run special fuel which is difficult to find when you need it, but more importantly, with 19-21 lbs of boost the head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, along with the rods, pistons and crank are not designed to take 19-21 lbs of boost. The cool thing about JBA’s headers is you get to the same place for a third of the price and in a boost range that the motor was designed for. Because the motor can now breathe extremely well, the engine will rev much faster and accelerate harder because there is no back pressure in the exhaust system. That’s why JBA headers can make the same amount of hp that others can without putting your motor at risk.
So, it IS the exhaust system and tune that truly makes reliable hp without the risk of doing damage to the motor.
So for those of you with doubts about the JBA headers, and having your car modified and tuned by JBA, I just want to let you know, I am extremely pleased with the way my car performs and I’m glad I had the professionals at JBA do the work.

You dont need a whipple to make 620hp you can make 620 with just a pulley and tune and with out changing any part of the exhaust. with that said I have the Jba's and love them. Although my dyno is about two weeks over due I It feels like it has picked up 20-30 hp.