GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
In your mind's eye....

Gentlemen,

Ford has tested this engine for hundreds of thousands of miles. This engine block has performed as expected in real world use, in extremes of temperature, load, and just about every other type of abuse that Ford could put it through. It works. How many of us, outside of restoring an old car, have had to re-bore a modern engine and fit oversize pistons? It almost never happens. And if it did, sleeve the cylinders then. We are talking about a car that offers performance that, just a few years ago, could not be had for 6 times the price of the 2013 GT500. Over 650 HP in a 200+ MPH car that is priced, relative to other cars that offer that type of performance, so cheap that its damn near FREE. Does anybody doubt that the GT500 will outlast a new Ferrari engine by double or TRIPLE the mileage even with the coated cylinders? Yet, based upon a possible hypothetical that has not occurred this car is dismissed by a few as unacceptable?!? Ah, OK.

bored-baby-1284.jpg

We have a warped sense of reality after owning a Ford GT with it's 40+K engine that can be pumped up to over 1000 HP without any internal engine mods. Our motors contain jewel like forged rods, pistons, and lots of other cool and expensive stuff that would blow the price of a GT500 sky high. The 2013 GT500 is the most amazing sub $60,000 car ever built, and the most incredible performance car buy ever offered. To pass on it because of a theoretical, hypothetical, remotely possible, but highly unlikely, future slightly higher cost to rebuild the engine is really reaching.

I can sum up my feelings about the GT500 with it's coated cylinders in just 3 words......I want one.

Chip

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Gentlemen,

I can sum up my feelings about the GT500 with it's coated cylinders in just 3 words......I want one.

Chip

AMEN! Me too!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ford licensed the PTWA process to Nissan and it has been used successfully in the GT-R since 2007, not to mention the success of the process on the 2011-2012 GT500. While I admit the cars have not been in service long enough to demonstrate the longevity of the coating, I have to believe both Ford and Nissan tested the coating to destruction and know it will last the typical life of an engine. Having said that, I still prefer iron liners, but this preference is based only on my antiquated view of things.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...I still prefer iron liners, but this preference is based only on my antiquated view of things.

+1

Exactly.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Nice vid :)