Is this an issue with all FGTs?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Ditto all the above...I'm 5'11". The roof part moving "feels" funny but is not.
I use two hands to get to reverse but slapping works.
I opened (one person) the clamshell for ~ 2yrs (reaching across roof)...no big deal. Got the GT Guys mod (less of a NBD).
Car is stupid fast/powerful, Mustang reliable, exotic at cruise ins (clam shell, doors, midengine, meaty tires, etc...) and is well received/respected in EVERY circle (I've never met or even heard a hater).

Go to the Fchat forum for haters!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
oli - spend more time here. You'll learn a lot (maybe we could learn something from you too) & meet many great people. This forum rocks!

I'm 5'9" & can open clamshell no problem. Door & my head is no issue. No need to duck. I slap into reverse without even thinking about it. Stupid video but entertaining.

Ed

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
oli - spend more time here. You'll learn a lot (maybe we could learn something from you too) & meet many great people. This forum rocks!

I'm 5'9" & can open clamshell no problem. Door & my head is no issue. No need to duck. I slap into reverse without even thinking about it. Stupid video but entertaining.

Ed

So far nothing here I can't deal with. Even if it required two people to open the clamshell, there doesn't look like a need get in there, other than routine maintenance. If need be, there's the wife.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
So far nothing here I can't deal with. Even if it required two people to open the clamshell, there doesn't look like a need get in there, other than routine maintenance. If need be, there's the wife.

Oh, believe me- you will be asked to open the clamshell REPEATEDLY, so people can gawk at the beauty below. It is done easily enough, even with one person, but I did finally break down and get the GT Guys one-hand clamshell release. Nice product.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
At any car event, the clamshell goes up and down a number of times.

Down so people can appreciate the exquisite design of the car.

Up, because the engine bay is a work of art all by itself.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The video is clearly made in (partial) jest. If you're taking car buying advice from a teenager, you may be beyond the help of this forum.

[video=youtube;I280XuCOfZ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I280XuCOfZ8[/video]

When I saw this video I figured he's just another video game kid who could use some time in the gym.. I'm sure his mom opens his peanut butter jars for him.. geeesh...

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I'm 6'2"; I duck
Clamshell opens for me with only me opening it, but I AM 6'2"
Reverse is no issue at all, easy and smooth as butter for me, no slapping etc..
This IS the club
Car is reliable, stupid fast and is the ultimate attention-getter.
Watch out for people snapping pictures of the car while driving; it's big issue and it's dangerous They are idiots and should be shot.

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
Watch out for people snapping pictures of the car while driving; it's big issue and it's dangerous They are idiots and should be shot.

That will be interesting as the people here might be different than in SoCal. When I owned my Ferrari in SoCal, I didn't have any issues with people getting in the way, trying to snap pics. We will see and since there are less people here I suspect it won't be a problem.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal

That will be interesting as the people here might be different than in SoCal. When I owned my Ferrari in SoCal, I didn't have any issues with people getting in the way, trying to snap pics. We will see and since there are less people here I suspect it won't be a problem.

That's because there have been many F cars on the SoCal roads for decades. Even though SoCal has a large concentration of GTs, ten years into it people still don't see them often and many don't know what they are, even with FORD on the side door.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
When I owned my Ferrari in SoCal, I didn't have any issues with people getting in the way, trying to snap pics. We will see and since there are less people here I suspect it won't be a problem

Ferrari are a dime a dozen in Cali; and headed that direction in value

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Oli, I live in Sandpoint (30 miles north) and it's a problem. Even worse if you're trailering and trying to change a lane.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

People make really stupid moves to get pictures of GTs. One time I was driving and close to home going through Lyons when a car that was in the left lane (he had to take the road to Allenspark) I was in the right lane to home (the highway to Estes Park). The guy bolted to the stop sign, took an illegal right turn and speeded to catch up with me (I always went the speed limit through there because the area was a known speed trap). He passed me ON THE RIGHT as the lane ended and continued into the bike lane to get in front of me, then slowed down to a crawl (like 5MPH) while, get this, someone opened the sunroof, stood up on the seat and started snapping pictures on their cell phone.

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
Oli, I live in Sandpoint (30 miles north) and it's a problem. Even worse if you're trailering and trying to change a lane.

Really. I drive a Viper Green Posche and you'd think that would attract alot of attention on the street, but not. I hope I don't have to do much of any trailering, because I don't own one and don't want to own one. It was an issue to find a transport company when I moved up here.