Is this an issue with all FGTs?

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
I was watching a video on someone's review of the FGT and he mentions getting into reverse requires both hands. Was or is this common to all FGTs? There were some issues that I can deal with, such as the rear visibility and if you're a certain height, closing the door requires cranking your head to the side. To open the engine lid, requires two people. The smallish trunk will be an issue for the wife, but not so much for me if I am traveling alone, which I suspect won't happen at all, but who knows.

Last edited:

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
No !

SFGT

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2012
getting into reverse is a non issue

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was watching a video on someone's review of the FGT and he mentions getting into reverse requires both hands. Was or is this common to all FGTs? There were some issues that I can deal with, such as the rear visibility and if you're a certain height, closing the door requires cranking your head to the side. To open the engine lid, requires two people. The smallish trunk will be an issue for the wife, but not so much for me if I am traveling alone, which I suspect won't happen at all, but who knows.

You don't need both hands to get in reverse. A firm "slap" to the left will break the gate.

I open the clamshell by myself all the time. Break the catch on the driver's side, lean through the open driver door and unlatch the other side.

My hair does get caught in the door when I close it if I don't lean in. Oh well, it does on my truck too.

Trunk: Pretty useless. Don't put anything in there you don't want to melt because it will. Irregular shape means soft bags filled with underwear. Some people who don't need the seat all the way back have success using the space behind the seats.

It's a great day trip car!

Don't talk yourself out of it!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
You are making up issues.

Reverse gate has a stiff detent so you can't hit reverse when you want first.

One person can open the engine cover.

I think I remember that retarded video. Some kid who didn't own the car.

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
You don't need both hands to get in reverse. A firm "slap" to the left will break the gate.

I open the clamshell by myself all the time. Break the catch on the driver's side, lean through the open driver door and unlatch the other side.

My hair does get caught in the door when I close it if I don't lean in. Oh well, it does on my truck too.

Trunk: Pretty useless. Don't put anything in there you don't want to melt because it will. Irregular shape means soft bags filled with underwear. Some people who don't need the seat all the way back have success using the space behind the seats.

It's a great day trip car!

Don't talk yourself out of it!

Definitely all in, just want to know all idiosyncrasies so I am not surprised. I have a bunch of time before I purchase because I have to sell one car to get the GT.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
The video is clearly made in (partial) jest. If you're taking car buying advice from a teenager, you may be beyond the help of this forum.

[video=youtube;I280XuCOfZ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I280XuCOfZ8[/video]

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
My FGT has always required two hands for reverse, or an extremely hard one handed maneuver. Cranking your head to the side? Only if you're 6 ft 3 or so. In the video he says he feels he "has" to turn his head because he is "always worried" about decapitation or something, even though He's not that tall. I fit fine with my helmet on with no head angling. I'm 5'8 (6'3" with the afro)

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I'm 6'3" 230lbs and I fit great however with a helmet it is a bit tight. As already stated the reverse requires a very mild slap....total non issue. I am talented enough to slightly dip my head when shutting the door so no problem there and I've been opening and closing the engine cover all by myself since 2005. Biggest hazard to owning this car are the people driving around you taking pictures of it not watching where they are going.....seriously.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Best solution to opening the clamshell, is the GT Guys release option. Should have been standard when the car was built!!!

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
I'm 6'3" 230lbs and I fit great however with a helmet it is a bit tight. As already stated the reverse requires a very mild slap....total non issue. I am talented enough to slightly dip my head when shutting the door so no problem there and I've been opening and closing the engine cover all by myself since 2005. Biggest hazard to owning this car are the people driving around you taking pictures of it not watching where they are going.....seriously.

Steve, is there a club for GT owners, or do you do clubs? Presently I am a PCNA with many members, but it looks like in the future there is just the two of us.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Steve, is there a club for GT owners, or do you do clubs? Presently I am a PCNA with many members, but it looks like in the future there is just the two of us.

wtf? What do you think this forum is all about? 10 national rallies for GT owners? More concentrated GT info on this website than anywhere in the known universe?

oli, I wish you all the best, but I suggest you take some time to look at the thousands of posts on this forum. Everything you have asked has been answered over and over. Seriously.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Best solution to opening the clamshell, is the GT Guys release option. Should have been standard when the car was built!!!

:agree:

I'm tall enough to reach both sides, but that only works if the gas struts are in good condition. They only last about 5 to 7 years for me. With the GT guys release a piece of cake to open if you are shorter and or the struts are not 100%.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
We are the Ford GT Forum.Thats our club.Its a wonderful group of people.I have been a PCA member for 25 years and have made some great friends .BUT NOTHING COMPARES to the friendships I have made because of this forum.
Once you join as in pay to join the forum membership your in! Go to the national rally section and read all about our last 10 rallies.AWESOME!!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Need to adjust your mindset to GT world.

Its literally Toyota reliability; Mercedes Bank-vault quality, and rock star iconic

Despite what the Ministers of Propaganda/Disinformation say at F'chat, Lambo Forum, skinny jean journalists, etc. its hands down best exotic of the last decade.

There are literally 99.9% of people here who have gotten into GT and pushed starter with no issues for last 10yrs; ex-fluids, filter, tires, air.

FORD still supports it in symbiotic manner, from Billet A-arms, to half-shaft upgrade, with dealer paid flatbed available for Takata recall; and having an OEM gauge mfg. redo set of gauges 10yrs after last car sold b/c of forum requests, and (compare that the Z8's strut towers, Carrera GT clutch software, and numerous F car issues) .

All that, and today's experience during my AM ride up PCH / Malibu, across Kanan Dume Canyon and upto MuGu Point:

-Salute from Red '57 300 SL owner pulled side to let me pass
-Train of Porsche GT-2/3, 2.7 RS, CGT, and 918...all thumbs up thru canyon
-Leno wave at Trancas Market Malibu
-Viper club flashing lights
-Cobra, Shelby Stangs waves
-Standing ovation of Ducati Club at Mugu Point

You are not going to get that reception with ANY other car.

Last edited:

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
Obviously I am not familiar with GT forums. Different from Porsche forum, where non club members are aplenty but not members of any PC.

Last edited:

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
In almost any car if reverse requires "the touch" u just go into first gear and roll forward an inch and then into reverse without an issue.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Obviously I am not familiar with GT forums. Different from Porsche forum, where non club members are aplenty but not members of any PC.

Very different from other forums. And I quote "...Ford GT Forum is a forum dedicated to the OWNERS of the Ford GT and the people who worked in the development of the car."

When you registered here, you dropped in on the club.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
GT's with the Ford Racing short throw shifter are a little harder to put into reverse. There are two sets of bushings, either rubber or metal. The metal ones will last much longer than the rubber,but they make it harder to shift into reverse. I only need one hand since I'm long use to it, but a month or so ago I drove a stock car and it was like I forgot how to shift. In daily driving the difference is not much, but there is a noticeable difference on the track.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Ditto all the above...I'm 5'11". The roof part moving "feels" funny but is not.
I use two hands to get to reverse but slapping works.
I opened (one person) the clamshell for ~ 2yrs (reaching across roof)...no big deal. Got the GT Guys mod (less of a NBD).
Car is stupid fast/powerful, Mustang reliable, exotic at cruise ins (clam shell, doors, midengine, meaty tires, etc...) and is well received/respected in EVERY circle (I've never met or even heard a hater).