Is there a "Toggle Bolt" issue on the GT

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Is there a "Axle Flange Washer" issue on the GT

Have heard that there is a potentially weak axle flange on a bolt on the undersurface of the GT. I can't find any threads on this issue with the Forum Search engine. If anyone knows of details on this, please post.

Last edited:

rgates

GT Owner
Jul 1, 2006

zim32

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2006
Pacific Palisades, Ca.
It's the axle flange bolt. I was told the washer that was produced was made too soft causing the axel flange bolt to loosen and potententialy come off. Spoke to other GT owners who were aware of it...should be checked out at the dealer

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
rgates,

Ford GT is not a choice under "Model" on your website. Do you have a link somewhere else?

Last edited:

rgates

GT Owner
Jul 1, 2006
look under ford, it works fine. about 14 TSB'S

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
AtomicGT said:
rgates,

Ford GT is not a choice under "Model" on your website. Do you have a link somewhere else?

I searched under 05 and it had the gt listed

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
yes, has to be 05, there is no GT under 06. Still can't find any info on this washer problem.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Eric,

Not sure how you missed it, but this was one of the most discussed theads in the Forum's history. Click on the link here.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Search for "Found on the road dead"

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
nota4re

This is Deja Vu all over again. I remember reading this threat when I first joined the forum. Fif not link the two together until you brought it to light. So I guess the main resolution is to have the axle flange bolts examined by dealer. Why is there not a more visible effort to notify people onthis issue by Ford?

Kinda sounds like it is a rare occurance?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I think the net net is that Ford is quietly watching to see how rare this really is. Within the thread I referenced, you can see my position - I wish Ford had the courage to tell us if they made any corrections for this during the builds and, if so, when. So far, nothing official.

To all who may be contemplating an inspection and/or pro-active replacement: To inspect/repair these bolts/washers you must disassemble the half-shaft couplers. There are 6 bolts per side. These bolts are one-time use bolts and should be discarded in favor of new bolts when disassembled. (Per Ford's explicit instructions.) Also note that there is a very specific torquing procedure that should be followed precisely on the coupler bolts. The point is that you shouldn't let your dealer or favorite mechanic go in for an inspection/repair and unknowingly make matters worse by not assembling the couplers back together correctly.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
nota4re

Sounds like a mess, and if your dealer is like 90% of other dealers, when you show up with the car they don't have hte personnel to manage it, this makes one leary of the exercise of replacement. I would think something on a larger scale is needed to find out exactly what officially FoMoCo suggests as a solution.

I am sure FoMoCo monitors this web site and there are GT owner operatives that have major connections to Detroit and Dearborn personnel. Do we need a sign or a neon blinker to let them know that there is a potential risk to the GT mechanics, passenger safety, and potential recouse if someone has injuries related to axle issues if this bolt - washer and lingage malfunction???

Who ever made the comment about the Ford GT hotline is 200%. I have never received any useful information from this line. I think they are part of Saturday Night Live!

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA