Is it stupid...

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
Is it stupid to buy the GT without having ridden in one, much less driven one?

I am ready to push the button, but the car will probably be shipped to me from a far-away dealer... and I realize I've only sat in stationary GT's a couple of times.

Did any of you guys buy one without getting a ride or a test drive first? Or is that the norm for a car like this?

Thanks! :thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Bought mine without a drive. Battery was dead. Still love it, never look back, never sorry.

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
I would NEVER buy a car without driving it first! Everevereverever!!!!!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Have you ever heard anyone say "I love the way the GT is put together, but I'm not so crazy about the way it drives"? :wink

My only concern would be how you fit in the car. Otherwise, I doubt you'll find anyway who was anything less than satisfied with the way the car acts when you're behind the wheel...

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
cudacharlie said:
Is it stupid to buy the GT without having ridden in one, much less driven one?

I am ready to push the button, but the car will probably be shipped to me from a far-away dealer... and I realize I've only sat in stationary GT's a couple of times.

Did any of you guys buy one without getting a ride or a test drive first? Or is that the norm for a car like this?

Thanks! :thumbsup

Charlie,

I think this is a very interesting question - and I'm in the same boat as you!

In the UK, all the cars are 'new' and for sale (and no one can pull on Ford to loan them a demo car); hence, no one is willing to let you test drive one because 5-10 miles make it less than 'new'.

While I have been out in one as a passenger, it's nothing like getting behind the wheel and thus, why I asked the question about "how much of a handful the GT is to drive?"

To some people, spending $160,000 on a car is a drop in the ocean; however, to me it's a fair chunk of cash. Add to this that I want to keep my next 'weekend car' for an indefinate period and it becomes a big decision.

I'm with Big Carrot, I'd always want to drive a car before I bought it - whether that be a £10,000 run-about or a £300,000 Zonda.

But in my case, this isn't going to happen with the GT. Thus, I either take an educated gamble, or I don't buy one... really is that simple. In your case, I'd do my best to make a test drive happen as surely you must be able to get access to a demo car via a dealer?

Simon

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
Simon - It's a similar situation here, sort of... Dealers aren't exactly itching to give you a test drive... Besides, the cars that are in showrooms near me are NOT the ones I'll wind up buying (I'm after Heritage), so I haven't gone in asking for a test drive. I've sat in them (oh man, it fits like a glove!), and I have no doubts that the performance will be all I could hope for (and more), but it did strike me as odd to be about to try to cut a deal for the car when I've not driven (or even ridden in) one yet!

After I've made a (probably long-distance) deal for a Heritage car, I will definitely go to wherever it sits, inspect it, and take the ACTUAL car I'm buying for a test drive, before handing over the check... but by then the decision has been made, and we are just verifying that the unit I'm buying is functional.

I'm glad to hear that some have bought their GT's sight-un-driven... I guess it's not totally insane given the circumstances...

BTW: I almost rented one the other day. I know, I know... don't worry, I didn't.

Townshend

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Bought without driving - Driving it far more than I thought I would.

Love it - Exceeds expectations - Just tire of getting my picture taken to and from work! (Seriously)

If you have sat in one, the rest just falls in place (IMHO.)

Erick

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Drove it 1st? Hell I did not even sit in it untill it was mine. Just the way it all worked out. ZERO regrets!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I wanted the car since 2003. Tried to buy sight unseen in Nov 2003. Been watching the car sales obsessively for over a year before purchase in Oct 2005. Prior to 2005, never ecven saw a GT except for one in Texas on the side road in Dallas where the dealer was beating on it (Ylw/ Blk). Was going to buy sight unseen until I found the car I wanted 45 mi. from the house (destiny).

I was lucky enough to get to sit in it after I convinced the sales mgr. I was serious enough so that he opened the dealership for me on Sunday. Deal closed Monday :cheers - purchased Tuesday, drove it home shaking the whole time! :biggrin

Summary - I loved the car. Was going to buy sight unseen (before i even really saw one), got lucky and closed the deal! :thumbsup

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Bought ours without ever driving or even seeing one in person. I did see a Tungsten fly by on I-285. That was enough. Had ours two weeks later, but would have done it the following morning. Great car.

- doc

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Didn't drive it...most dealers won't let you drive it unless you own it...period.

Matt

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I'd guess 80 percent did not drive one first.

I didn't. Bought the car I wanted. The way it drives is a bonus.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
My Dad and his Partner bought an original in 68' and at that time (11yrs) I new I had to have one.
Being I don't have a couple of million with nothing to do my only option was the local dealer for a new one. He let me sit in it to make sure I fit and asked if I wanted to drive it. I already knew it was fast, handled great, the mac. amp had to go, it was red, and the wife was pissed due to lack of storage....didn't see any reason to drive it.
If this helps, IMHO it drives as good as it looks! :thumbsup
(And the red ones drive a little better than the other colors)

Last edited:

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Don't fret it. I bought 2 different cars without driving them including the GT. Not a single regret.

DeaconBlues

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2006
New Mexico
During my negotiations to buy the GT, my dealer offered to let me drive the car. I actually declined, opting to only sit in the car. When I drove it out of the showroom after it was mine, the feeling was indescribable.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
SHIT OR GET OFF THE POT

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
Hahaha californiacuda.... okay, sorry I wasted your bandwidth...

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I know there are not many that would do this, but if you want, you can come down and take mine for a spin (obviously with me in it :wink ).
Mine is completely stock, so you will know exactly what you are getting.
I'm in So Cal, same as you, so it should be pretty easy.
I can always bring it to the office and you can come up and try it out.
PM me if your interested.

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
ROCMAN / Mark you rock! PM is on its way to you. :cheers

Getting closer... Found eight Heritage cars so far on showroom floors. All have McIntosh and forged wheels, some don't have red calipers (yay)...

How good a deal do you think I can get? Under MSRP? Maybe free shipping? Hmmm....

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
ROCMAN said:
I know there are not many that would do this, but if you want, you can come down and take mine for a spin (obviously with me in it :wink ).
Mine is completely stock, so you will know exactly what you are getting.
I'm in So Cal, same as you, so it should be pretty easy.
I can always bring it to the office and you can come up and try it out.
PM me if your interested.

Can I come take yours for a ride as well...you know just to see if they drive the same.
I think a blast up the 15 to Vegas at mach II would be a great test. :biggrin