intermittant guage cluster failure 2006 Ford GT

doc4140

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
Palm Springs, CA
I have had the car since new 2006 Ford GT titanium/ silver stripes and now have 7600 miles. No issues previously but took the car in for airbag replacement a month a go and they said that they changed both airbags. I have had the car in storage on a battery tender the whole time and got a call from Ford performance asking me to take the car in for the airbag recall and I said I did. They said they only show that the drivers side was changed. I subsequently found out that the dealer put in the wrong airbag so I took it in again for them to replace the passenger side. Upon leaving the dealer the entire instrument cluster was dead. I restarted the car and it worked OK but after several attempts it showed dead. I returned the car and they said that the guage cluster module was faulty and needed to be changed at the cost of $8700 plus labor totaling about $10,000.
THEY SAID THAT IT WAS JUST A COINCIDENT THAT THE FAILURE OCCURED AFTER THE AIRBAG WAS CHANGED FOR THE SECOND TIME ! I DONT WANT TO USE AFTER MARKET AND REFURBISHED PARTS BUT I AM PISSED ABOUT THIS SINCE IT WAS FINE BEFORE THE AIRBAG EXCHANGE. Is it possible there was a voltage surge or a short when they changed the airbag? nI was going to call the Ford assistance line and ask for help.

Last edited:

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Shouldnt take more than an hour to change the module.($1300/hr) try all the usual stuff first. As they would of had the battery disconnected, I would start there Earth etc.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Dearbourne has a module a lot cheaper

doc4140

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
Palm Springs, CA
Thanks. I may go there and check on a few things.

doc4140

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
Palm Springs, CA
Will call dearbourne. Thanks

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Can these modules be rebuilt?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
How old is the battery? clean the ground cable at the chassis.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Dead battery......
Change battery first and clean and tighten down the ground.
It might take a couple of key cycles to reset the gages
They couldnt install a WRONG air bag
They installed a old nos till the new ones came in. With the non rust cut your head off material.
If the dealership was any good
The battery stays on! And not disconnected
If you were in dearbourne you should have had the Gtguys do it?
But your this far.....
Get a brand new battery!
Good luck
Put my glasses on sorry your in California.....small print😀

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
if you go the new module route with the dealer, just know that this module is what retains the odometer mileage so it has to be sent to Ford first for re-programming to retain your current mileage. they come new showing 00.00 miles. changing them out is less than an hour in the car. it's just hanging over your left knee. we plug any used ones we've ever purchased into a running car to make sure they work and to record the saved mileage data. dealer cost is $5251.12 so I would hope they'd work with you on the part price and labor cost. just sayin PS: Ford doesn't stock this part. it has to be ordered and shipped direct from the supplier.

doc4140

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
Palm Springs, CA
OK. I now have part of the problem. I have a Odesseey 25 -pc1400 battery that is 10 years old. The dealer never said that that is a problem and probably never did a load test on the battery. I am ordering a new one as we speak. That may be the whole problem and thanks to this forum maybe saved me $10K. Will keep in informed. Thank-you!!!!!!!!!!!!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Most likely Ford will have to order the battery. It can take a few days but when I needed one they said 2-3 weeks due to backorder. Unless you're in love with the Ford logo on the battery you can go down to O'Reilley's and get the exact same Red Top for less just without the logo and buy a label to put over the top (which is all Ford does)... Just sayin.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
And pleaseeeeeeees don’t turn the car over till you replace it!
Those power surges will blow out your gages!
You have shed down relats
Put the new battery in
Turn key
Wait till all the bings and lights go off
Then start it should be fine
Hi Scott.... thought you died years ago?
Gtjoey1314

Reactions: RPM217

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
thanks Joey but sorry, still on this side of the dirt! I heard that you moved to Guatemala to start your bucket list dream of opening up a Chik-Filet using buzzard breast. are you still there??? we still all love you!!! lol

doc4140

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
Palm Springs, CA
And pleaseeeeeeees don’t turn the car over till you replace it!
Those power surges will blow out your gages!
You have shed down relats
Put the new battery in
Turn key
Wait till all the bings and lights go off
Then start it should be fine
Hi Scott.... thought you died years ago?
Gtjoey1314
Thanks for the reply. I was playing with a Nissan GTR 2009 for years and then sold it and bought a McLaren 570 spider which is most likely my last super car. I hope the dealer doesn't do more damage to the car.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Scott come on down never rains down here
They have this mango that makes hair grow back😀
Love you too
Gtjoey
Ps Mclaren is another mistress on the side......take my advise

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Did you ever get intermittent check engine light?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
99.9% chance your gauge module is fine. Get a new battery.

doc4140

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
Palm Springs, CA
ordered another Odyssey 25-pc1400 since it lasted 10 years!! Never got any warning lights at all but I have not been driving it alot. wanted to keep the mileage down for resale.

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
I have had the car since new 2006 Ford GT titanium/ silver stripes and now have 7600 miles. No issues previously but took the car in for airbag replacement a month a go and they said that they changed both airbags. I have had the car in storage on a battery tender the whole time and got a call from Ford performance asking me to take the car in for the airbag recall and I said I did. They said they only show that the drivers side was changed. I subsequently found out that the dealer put in the wrong airbag so I took it in again for them to replace the passenger side. Upon leaving the dealer the entire instrument cluster was dead. I restarted the car and it worked OK but after several attempts it showed dead. I returned the car and they said that the guage cluster module was faulty and needed to be changed at the cost of $8700 plus labor totaling about $10,000.
THEY SAID THAT IT WAS JUST A COINCIDENT THAT THE FAILURE OCCURED AFTER THE AIRBAG WAS CHANGED FOR THE SECOND TIME ! I DONT WANT TO USE AFTER MARKET AND REFURBISHED PARTS BUT I AM PISSED ABOUT THIS SINCE IT WAS FINE BEFORE THE AIRBAG EXCHANGE. Is it possible there was a voltage surge or a short when they changed the airbag? nI was going to call the Ford assistance line and ask for help.
I just had the air bag recall performed on my 05 GT all of a sudden the fuel gauge stopped working.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Aren't the Ford logoed batteries built to order and therefore more fresh than something off the shelf?