intermittant guage cluster failure 2006 Ford GT

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Aren't the Ford logoed batteries built to order and therefore more fresh than something off the shelf?
Everything these days is just-in-time inventory. Mine was about a month old.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Aren't the Ford logoed batteries built to order and therefore more fresh than something off the shelf?
Other battery options available. PM me

Last edited:

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
These cars for some reason are tough on batteries. I know when I need a new one because some of the gauges are dead when I start up. Drive for a while, restart and everything’s fine but - time for a new battery. I’ve always used the Ford unit, on my fourth in 13 years

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
What is the battery part number? I do not need the exact one, yellow top??? 199?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
red top Optima # 8025-160

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
So, I cannot find that, what Optima tells me the number for a 06 GT is SKU: 9025-160

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
O'Reilly part number for the Optima is RED25

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I've been using a non-Optima, AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery of the proper dimensions for years. If you don't care about points deductions at Pebble Beach, just buy a good AGM battery. The C-TEK maintainer, recommended here often, has a specific mode for AGM batteries.

doc4140

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
Palm Springs, CA
Sorry for the delay but here is the f/u
I ordered a new Odyssey battery 25 pc1400 that lasted about 10 years on a trickle charger. The dealer installed it for free and the guage cluster was normal without a problems. Thanks to all the forum members that saved me over $10K !!!!!
Yes the battery shows the correct voltage but the amperage was down which was expected.
BTW- I ordered the battery from Battery Mart about $250
Thanks again forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had the car since new 2006 Ford GT titanium/ silver stripes and now have 7600 miles. No issues previously but took the car in for airbag replacement a month a go and they said that they changed both airbags. I have had the car in storage on a battery tender the whole time and got a call from Ford performance asking me to take the car in for the airbag recall and I said I did. They said they only show that the drivers side was changed. I subsequently found out that the dealer put in the wrong airbag so I took it in again for them to replace the passenger side. Upon leaving the dealer the entire instrument cluster was dead. I restarted the car and it worked OK but after several attempts it showed dead. I returned the car and they said that the guage cluster module was faulty and needed to be changed at the cost of $8700 plus labor totaling about $10,000.
THEY SAID THAT IT WAS JUST A COINCIDENT THAT THE FAILURE OCCURED AFTER THE AIRBAG WAS CHANGED FOR THE SECOND TIME ! I DONT WANT TO USE AFTER MARKET AND REFURBISHED PARTS BUT I AM PISSED ABOUT THIS SINCE IT WAS FINE BEFORE THE AIRBAG EXCHANGE. Is it possible there was a voltage surge or a short when they changed the airbag? nI was going to call the Ford assistance line and ask for help.

Reactions: viva gt

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
XO Now put the date on the battery and every 4 year replace, its cheap insurance....one spike and the gages can blow....
gtjoey1314

Tomcat

GT Owner
$250 vs $10,000....this forum is worth it!!!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
$250 vs $10,000....this forum is worth it!!!
It's too bad the dealer service guys arent aware of the battery / gauge link

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
I just had the air bag recall performed on my 05 GT all of a sudden the fuel gauge stopped working.

Ordered and received replacement gauge. Wanting to install myself. Removed small screws holding gauge panel. Panel is loose but doesn't want to come out Whats the trick in getting it out? Help please.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Gary because I had a 1930 model a rumble seat coupe that I miss. If this works, promise when you want to sell the pickup you email me first!
Did you try a new battery as well!
blue tape around the whole facia.
Then tilt the steering wheel as low as possible.
Pull from the edges or from the gage ring around the fuel if that's the broken one.
The harness is VERY TIGHT and wedged in there....
It will come forward......
Be patient.
REPORT BACK BUT change the battery first . PLEASE.
good luck
gtjoey1314

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Note: there is this thing up up in the top right corner of the page, it's really handy, called "search".

Ordered and received replacement gauge. Wanting to install myself. Removed small screws holding gauge panel. Panel is loose but doesn't want to come out Whats the trick in getting it out? Help please.