Interested in a Ford GT

Zan186

Jul 28, 2008
I am just now starting to get greedy as I want to add to my stable of sports cars. So I am thinking big and wanted to get some owners perspectives on the Ford GT.
I currently have a 2002 Dodge Viper GTS running about 510 rwhp.
I just bought a 2008 GT 500 (bone stock).

Now the GT500 shares a little bit of mechanics from the GT. Heads are the same, yet the engine is cast iron vs aluminum in the GT.

From a driving experience the Viper is just pure power, massive torque down low with a whip like acceleration.

The GT 500 is a bit more progressive, where you really feel the powerband at around 3000 rpm's, right about when the Eaton supercharger with a 3.5" pulley starts to wine.
For the guys who have Vipers how would you classify the GT?
Yes I know it is fast, but what is the acceleration like, is it torquey or very linear. I don't know anyone in the Buffalo area that has one as they are pretty rare, so I havent ever been in one.

Next question: How is the maintenance on them? I assume Ford built them very well and that the motor and tranney are rock solid, and your not burning up clutches every 3 years. Are the parts rediculously expensive...ok let me rephrase that: Are the parts expensive like Viper parts or redunculous like Lamo's because the parts are well (insert excuse here) rare and have to be shipped from Italy (lol).

Next question : When do you think they will reach maximum depreciation? Usually they say 10 years after the vehicle rolls off the lot it hits rock bottom. Seems to be that way with the Viper Market (GTS specifically).
I am looking to buy in about 5 years. (have to plant the seeds with the wife (biggest obstacle) first. Might use it as a mid life crisis excuse lol!
I see a lot of the GT's priced in the 150k range, but I am seeing a lot of them for sale lately. Any predictions on how the market for GT's will be in 3 to 5 years?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
-Brutal/ferocious power...jet takeoff..Unlike any other wheeled vehicle.

-Maintenance is minimal; Super Duty Ford Truck engine; race tranny

-Parts, see above; iron-clad warranty with mfg's special support

-Depreciation not an issue; 4038 made 10-15% crashed; compare to McLaren-F1 value

-Market 3-5 yrs: up 25-33% from now= +45% since new

-Buy one; sell all else if need be.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
The viper and the GT are 2 very different vehicles to drive for sure. ITs going to be very difficult for anyone to quantify the driving experience of the GT without spending time in one. That would really be what you need to do to figure out if its something that fits your ideals. Where are you in the US ? World ?

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
Zan,
Ref. your acceleration question. I just purchased my first viper-an '08 ACR. i think Rocman on this board has recently dynoed his ACR and reached ~535 RWHP. I have a '05 GT with a pulley and tune-658 RWHP and 645 lb.ft. torque. In a straight line, the GT is faster than the ACR. The ACR is "Now, that's fast!" while the GT is "Holy Sh-t!!!" My recommendation-get one.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
More than anything else, it's the lineage of this fabulous machine that gets the juices flowing. Just tonight I though what would it take for me to sell ..... how much? The answer is at least a couple of hundred thousand more than anyone would be willing to pay! It's that special.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
check us out on the web at www.eliteautosllc.com
we would love to help when the time comes. There is alot of helpful information on this site. You have come to the right place. Just curious though, where are you seeing these cars priced in the $150's? We watch all the cars on the market closely and have not seen many priced in that range....

Anyway, all the best and hope you find what you are looking for!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
my 2006 Ford GT is very different from 2001 viper ACR. to be fair i will compare my bone stock Ford GT to my viper back when i bought it new b4 i modded it out for road racing.

the viper has a short wheelbase with wide front tires and so the handling is very different than the GT which has a longer wheelbase with narrower front tires. the motor in the rear of the GT and the short height of the car makes it handle much differently too. even though you are in a lay down driving position in the GT it has more room in the cockpit. the peddles in the viper are offset towards the drivers door and in the GT they are offset more towards the center of the car. the vipers gearing is tall but the GT's is even taller as a result of the trans ratios and taller tires. both cars need way more power based on this or shorter gearing if you leave the motors stock. the GT revs way higher and the viper makes more power down low. the viper engine feels like a BIG block and the GT's motor feels like a small block on roids. the viper is a better short track road race car and the GT is a better HIGH speed road race car.

i could go on for days about the difference but the bottom line is the GT costs more $$$ because it is a superior car imo.

Last edited:

Zan186

Jul 28, 2008
Zan,
Ref. your acceleration question. I just purchased my first viper-an '08 ACR. i think Rocman on this board has recently dynoed his ACR and reached ~535 RWHP. I have a '05 GT with a pulley and tune-658 RWHP and 645 lb.ft. torque. In a straight line, the GT is faster than the ACR. The ACR is "Now, that's fast!" while the GT is "Holy Sh-t!!!" My recommendation-get one.

hmm, now the big question I have is the Shelby GT500 is setup similar to the Ford GT. Unfortunately they used a Cast iron block instead of the Aluminum. However it does have the Ford GT Heads and a supercharger (Eaton).
What I noticed about that is it really doesn't come alive till around 3000 rpm's. The Shelby rev's really fast too. I am guessing the Ford GT rev's really fast as well and that the powerband comes on higher in the RPM range?
The Viper just seems to be a beast from 1500rpm's on up.

As for the GT being a superior car, well I guess that depends on both your taste and driving style. (Also how much money you want to dump into the mod's). Personally I want one of each, but I have to wait and slowly coerce the wife.

The way I look at it the Shelby is a great car. The Viper is just a beast. It is raw and very unrefined. It almost begs to be highly modified. (eventually I will put twin turbo's on it and probably kill myself going side ways lol).

I am guessing the Ford GT is more refined where it has the handeling of a supercar but yet is comfortable and luxuirous in the Ferrari type way.

Although I just watched Redline while working out in the gym and they dissed the Ford GT as being a cheap car lol!

How does the GT compare to the Saleen? One of the guys in the Viper Club just bought a Saleen S7 and although fast as hell, the biggest complaint I hear is that it is actually rather uncomfortable, and difficult to get in and out of. (this is from Viper owners, saying a car is uncomfortable) What is their like nails sticking up from the seat or something, Vipers aren't exaclty comfortable :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...the biggest complaint I hear is that it is actually rather uncomfortable, and difficult to get in and out of. (this is from Viper owners, saying a car is uncomfortable)

'Depends. How OLD are you!!!:lol

The sill is 14 feet wide ...bring your own pole for "vaulting" over it. The "box" into which one puts his feet is not only angled waaaaaaaay over to the right, but the darn thing SEEMS like it's about 3" X 6" X 10" deep in size. I wouldn't think one would care much for driving an S-7 on the road - especially in traffic - for very long.

Just by way of "perspective": I looked at/sat in an S-7 when I was mucho serious-o about buying one. 'Almost had to get a crane to hoist me back outta there. That said, I'm held together with plates & screws, so my "elasticity" isn't the best in the world. (That's why I asked how old you are! :biggrin)

Other opinions may very (kinda like EPA mileage estimates vs. real world!), but, an S-7 IS a lot more challenging to get in/out of vs. a Viper. And NOT as "comfy" once you're IN it.

Just MHO.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
If it were me and I could not afford to add a car. I would sell the two you have and buy a GT. You have two that will depreicate much more, while the low mileage GTs will rise slightly.

You will also free up garage space and reduce insurance. Those savings are good arguments with the wife unit when mod fever hits.

I love the vipers, always have. But if I could own just one car, it would be a GT.

Power I can't believe we are talkin' 1,500 rpm is that all the Viper guys got these days:frown

You want to beat a Viper - You will, bone stock vs. bone stock in just about any speed contest. Some roll on situations could pose a problem in a short distance. The new Z06 is tough depending on gear selection at the time. but after 85 - 90 it's all over, pretty much the same for the Viper. :thumbsup

You want to feel OMG fast, add a Pulley and forget about all other cars. Power to weight in this trim is among the top 5 in the world. :thumbsup:thumbsup

You want down low raw spank your ass and scream holy sh#t power. Load a Whipple on the bad boy. I cry for mercy everytime I passenger with agressive Whipple driver. Power to weight in this trim is nearly impossible to beat for less than $1.2 mil. :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:biggrin:bow

You want to have endless superhuman power- See Heffner for a TT. The only faster top speed car would be the Veyron. That is about to get smoked too from what I hear. :bow:bow:bow:cool

Driveability
Drives better, rides better, draws more attention, parked next to a Viper ,people treat the Viper likes it's not even there. :thumbsupEither car is good solo. The only car I have felt like folks were drawn to is the Enzo.:thumbsdow

Wives

My wife has put up with my car habit for nearly 30 years. After the first drive in the car she has been in total support. Like I said, it drives better, rides better, you can hold a conversation in it, the Mac stero kicks butt. People assume you are a Rock star or celebrity. Note; Use reduced insurance and more garage space selling points to buy now. Just bring it home, there are worse palce to sleep than in a GT if you get kicked out. :cheers

Maintenance
Basic maintenace is Ford Like, Parts are Viper like for the body and interior and Mustang Cobra/Shelby like for most others. :thumbsup

Cons
The only cons with the car are Trunk space and planning parking spaces for the door opening. :bored

Answering questions at every stop. Women hitting on you in front of your wife. :biggrin

Your daughter will get marriage proposals just for being related to the owner. Actually kinda flattering for you:biggrin

Pro's - Far outweigh the Cons. :thumbsup

Git off your behind and Call Shelby @ Elite Autos now. He has all trims in stock and will even work out the trade in's.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
You want to have endless superhuman power- See Heffner for a TT. The only faster top speed car would be the Veyron. That is about to get smoked too from what I hear. :bow:bow:bow:cool

This is the kind of stuff that keeps me up late at night on this site:sleep: To find out what you guys are up to next!:secret:

Zan186

Jul 28, 2008
If it were me and I could not afford to add a car. I would sell the two you have and buy a GT. You have two that will depreicate much more, while the low mileage GTs will rise slightly.

You will also free up garage space and reduce insurance. Those savings are good arguments with the wife unit when mod fever hits.

I love the vipers, always have. But if I could own just one car, it would be a GT.

Power I can't believe we are talkin' 1,500 rpm is that all the Viper guys got these days:frown

You want to beat a Viper - You will, bone stock vs. bone stock in just about any speed contest. Some roll on situations could pose a problem in a short distance. The new Z06 is tough depending on gear selection at the time. but after 85 - 90 it's all over, pretty much the same for the Viper. :thumbsup

You want to feel OMG fast, add a Pulley and forget about all other cars. Power to weight in this trim is among the top 5 in the world. :thumbsup:thumbsup

You want down low raw spank your ass and scream holy sh#t power. Load a Whipple on the bad boy. I cry for mercy everytime I passenger with agressive Whipple driver. Power to weight in this trim is nearly impossible to beat for less than $1.2 mil. :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:biggrin:bow

Driveability
Drives better, rides better, draws more attention, parked next to a Viper ,people treat the Viper likes it's not even there. :thumbsupEither car is good solo. The only car I have felt like folks were drawn to is the Enzo.:thumbsdow

Wives

My wife has put up with my car habit for nearly 30 years. After the first drive in the car she has been in total support. Like I said, it drives better, rides better, you can hold a conversation in it, the Mac stero kicks butt. People assume you are a Rock star or celebrity. Note; Use reduced insurance and more garage space selling points to buy now. Just bring it home, there are worse palce to sleep than in a GT if you get kicked out. :cheers

Maintenance
Basic maintenace is Ford Like, Parts are Viper like for the body and interior and Mustang Cobra/Shelby like for most others. :thumbsup

Cons
The only cons with the car are Trunk space and planning parking spaces for the door opening. :bored

Answering questions at every stop. Women hitting on you in front of your wife. :biggrin

Your daughter will get marriage proposals just for being related to the owner. Actually kinda flattering for you:biggrin

Pro's - Far outweigh the Cons. :thumbsup

Git off your behind and Call Shelby @ Elite Autos now. He has all trims in stock and will even work out the trade in's.

Well selling my two cars is out of the question. My Viper is a Final Edition (one of only 360 made). The car collectors pretty much said the GTS Vipers will start to gain in value in about 5 years. Plus that car is like my 4th child lol!
The Shelby I can't sell because I use that to get to work during the summer and I can fit the 3 kids in it. I can't think of a better car that seats 4 lol!

Ok, I see a little bit of bias on this site (ya think). Stock the Ford GT is all that. When you talk mod's, well the Viper hold the record for IRS in the standing mile, and I have seen some TT Vipers in the 7's in the quater. As for street appeal, well that is really in the eye of the beholder. The Viper and the GT are really different in body style. Curvey vs Sharp line angles.

They say cars depreciate the most 10 years after they roll off the lot. The GT has been holding its value pretty well, although it has only been 2 years since the 2006 has rolled off the lot. One of the car collectors had a really good point. The Ford GT had 4000 units made. At which he said "That is not really a whole lot of cars". Then he said "but at $150,000 to $200,000 a car there are not that many who can afford it either. Which he then added "at that price range and at the number made, there will almost always be a bunch 4 sale, and they will depreciate as the market dictates".

Of course for me, if the car costs me $200k to buy,in reality it will cost me closer to $500k due to the fact I have to appease the wife first. Ohh and she has a ton of remodeling projects stacked to keep me from jumping into a Ford GT early. hence 5 year plan.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Only answer I found, summer car Viper convertible, Winter car Ford GT. That may sound simple but in SanClemente it gets confusing. Maybe I should have said morning car Ford GT, afternoon car Viper convertible.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Sell the wife - Buy the GT :driving::lol:bow:lol:smash

Last edited:

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
The 1st one is not the problem. It's the 2nd one...thats a tougher sell. Get the car. The bonus is that with it, comes an extended family.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
The 1st one is not the problem. It's the 2nd one...thats a tougher sell. Get the car. The bonus is that with it, comes an extended family.

True !

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Sell the wife - Buy the GT :driving::lol:bow:lol:smash

I am sure that will cost much more than remodeling and a GT!

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I had a 1996 Viper GTS Coupe, just sold my Shelby GT500, and currently own a 2006 Viper RT10 Couple (FE), and have a "few" Ford GT's. None of these cars are even remotely similar. The Viper is "crude" and has low torque to end all. The Ford is much more linear, more refined ride, and more of a sports car than a muscle car. You really must drive one for yourself to see the difference. I am also and economist and have to say that your economic assumptions about the Ford GT cannot be based on Viper historical data. The Viper has been in production for 16 years, while the Ford GT only was produced two years. These cars keep going up at a pace of about 5%, or more a year since 2006. If you wait, it could cost you. However, as an economist, I may end up being completely wrong in the end!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Of course for me, if the car costs me $200k to buy,in reality it will cost me closer to $500k due to the fact I have to appease the wife first. Ohh and she has a ton of remodeling projects stacked to keep me from jumping into a Ford GT early. hence 5 year plan.

Lemme guess. ONE of them is a kitchen remodel?

(Don't ask me how I knew that..........:bored)

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
"Ok, I see a little bit of bias on this site (ya think). Stock the Ford GT is all that. When you talk mod's, well the Viper hold the record for IRS in the standing mile, and I have seen some TT Vipers in the 7's in the quater. As for street appeal, well that is really in the eye of the beholder. The Viper and the GT are really different in body style. Curvey vs Sharp line angles"

Yes I am 100% biased based on my opinion. But, as they say opinions are like #$$holes, everyone has one. :biggrin

Here is my beef with 7 sec cars and such. Most of that stuff really becomes un driveable and has many quirks and maintenace issues. Been there done that many times. So, my bias is based on reasonable mods that have a system approach. One off's will always be faster, but also not enjoyed as often in my experience. Most are parked and just shown or run once in awhile. You would think twice about taking them on a day trip, worry about fuel, NOS, Smog laws, Having your tuners number in your ceel for emergencies.

The thing I like about the GT power mods is that you really don't get all the other quirks that go with most other highly modded cars. You really don't notice a thing unless you step into the gas. They idle well, use 91 fuel and have pretty much no downside. You will have confidence you can drive them anywhere. They represent the term Supercar very well.

The value situation is a little different IMO though.
4,000 cars less (400 totaled) = 3,600. Cars in other countries (800 and growing with the euro to dollar value) = 2,800. I think dollar for dollar the depreciation will shine vs. other cars discussed here.

Cars depreicate when the next model year comes out. People change to the new styling. These have no more model years or updates. The styling is 40 years old and still works today. No one will ever build anything like this car. The Enzo may be able to claim the same thing, but eventually it will be one upped. The CGT will be one upped, the Lambo's already are doing it. The Vipers are doing it. Hope you see the difference. Speed is not everything ( God I can't believe I said that).

Some things just don't go out of style. My 1994 Viper I though was so bitchen took a huge dump when the GTS came out. I do think the 1996 GTS has the iconic styling to stand the test of time tough. I wish I would have kept that car. The final edition is a good choice.