I was lied to and deceived at a Toyota dealership:

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
I was deceived at a car dealership:

My wife and I contracted to buy a car on New Year’s Eve at Toyota of Hackensack in New Jersey. (2005 Lex GX 470 with only 30,000 miles in excellent condition and every option available to the 2005).

The only other used car I ever purchased is called “sonic blue”. (With Gino and GTJoey of course). Joey, do you still have that car? :biggrin

After signing a contract which was approved and then paperwork executed we were brought over to finance. At 3.2%. why would I tie up $26,000 cash?. Prior to leaving the dealership I took out my credit card to leave a deposit on the vehicle. I was told to put it away because of our past relationship with the dealership and that it was New Year’s Eve. I was told everything could be finalized the following week. The salesman was told to move the car and take it to detailing so that it could be detailed again prior to us picking it up. I am unclear if this representation from their agent changed the terms of our “contract”. We were told upon offering to put a deposit down that it was not necessary and that our contract could be finalized the following week. No money had exchanged hands at their request.

When I called to finalize the paperwork the following two days later, no one represented to me that the car was being shown to any one else for sale. In fact, it was made clear to us that nothing had changed. Towards the end of the week, when I called to find out the status of the paperwork and it’s finalization, the salesman advised me that the car was “sold to someone else for more money”. :bs “It's a dirty game”, he said “that's the way the car business is played”. I think my friends (Nardo) Chris and Shelby Smith would have a lot to say about that! In fact, the salesman had indicated to us prior to leaving the dealership on New Year’s Eve that he was concerned because he was planning to sell the car to a friend of his and he didn’t get an opportunity to contact his friend. Same day we found out the car was sold, the finance person could only apologize to us because he indicated to us that he was unaware that the car was sold prior to the paperwork having been finalized with us and was also surprised.

My questions are:
Do I have recourse?
Does the dealership have any liability?
What does my brethren say?

Regards, GTNJ

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I don't know about the laws in your State, but in California I would say that you had a binding oral contract with plenty of evidence to support that fact. I suppose the dealership would try to argue that there was some kind of contingency on the car - but they would likely have to fabricate something to support that.

Depend on how mad you are and how much energy you have to pursue this. As much as you might be in the right, the dealership can still make "collection" difficult. Speaking of collection, I think you should really decide what you would want from them. As it was a used car, it is likely that you don't want another car from them but perhaps you want some kind of compensation which allows you to purchase a similar vehicle at potentially a higher price with the dealership on the bubble to make up the difference.

It sucks that there are still dealerships like this in business. Unfortunately, I suppose there are a lot of them. Sorry for your unfortunate experience.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
A car dealership lied to you??

Well, sorry this happen to you. I would believe that if monies were exchanged, this would have validated the contract/agreement. Sinovac?

Words are words, but black & white on paper is truth... for the most part.

Gone are the days of honor and a hand shake agreement.

Another reason to never buy a vehicle from a dealer. No offense to our sponsors here and this statement in no way is directed at them and probably not their practices and realistically completely different as dealers go.

In my experience, I have bought a "NEW" car three times from three different dealers, and they are all the same. Somehow someway they are screwing you, that has always been my gut feeling. They are your best friend until you drive the car off the lot.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
In fact, the salesman had indicated to us prior to leaving the dealership on New Year’s Eve that he was concerned because he was planning to sell the car to a friend of his

Depending how bad you wanted that vehicle, that statement alone would have made me finalize the deal right there and then.

The salesman screwed his "friend" for more money on the sale. :lol

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I don't know about the laws in your State, but in California I would say that you had a binding oral contract with plenty of evidence to support that fact. I suppose the dealership would try to argue that there was some kind of contingency on the car - but they would likely have to fabricate something to support that.

Depend on how mad you are and how much energy you have to pursue this. As much as you might be in the right, the dealership can still make "collection" difficult. Speaking of collection, I think you should really decide what you would want from them. As it was a used car, it is likely that you don't want another car from them but perhaps you want some kind of compensation which allows you to purchase a similar vehicle at potentially a higher price with the dealership on the bubble to make up the difference.

This.

Ungentlemanly behaviour at best, breach of conditional trust and breach of trust at worst. I would fire off a letter to the head boy expressing your dissatisfaction, that you're considering your options and that you'd welcome his comments. Iy might get their attention before going down the costly legal road.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Nothing you do is gonna change who they are or what they did. Wash your hands of them and walk away. Trying to pursue them is only gonna cause you further frustration and expense. Just be sure and tell everyone you know how you were treated. That's the biggest hurt you can really put on them. I would say that 50% of my business is from word of mouth. I care about the way I treat people, simply because if the person I am inside. I also care very much about my reputation that is spread around from people who have had direct dealings with me. If these guys don't, then just walk away. It will come back to bite them in the ass one day......

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Listen you little orange tiger if you just bought a GT through shelby, you wouldnt have to worry about any of this..........:biggrin Serves you right,your father was in WWII and your buying Jap Crap.......shame on you....a dealer in jersey not telling the whole story.:eek...Gino has dozens of brooklyn bridges to sell too.:wink......P.S. I think the state put a limit that your only allowed 10 binding lawsuits in one year at a time:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol go look at the vw torag or audi, you will be very impressed......gtjoey1314:thumbsup almost forgot take your kids to see the new yogi bear movie, it was lots of fun and they even started with a cartoon at the begining...tigers/bears...oh my......in 3d...........
CAN YOU IMAGE A SALESMAN IS AT HIS DESK, ITS SNOWING 10 INCHES AND AN ORANGE TIGER COMES IN WITH 4 TWINS AND AN ITALIAN WIFE AND SAYS TRUST ME IN GOOD FOR IT.........THATS ALMOST AS GOOD AS GINO CATCHING ALL THOSE GERMANS IN VIETNAM......:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol IlOvE me....GtJoEy1314

Last edited:

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
ac?

"Gone are the days of honor and a hand shake agreement."

Sad, but true.

"Another reason to never buy a vehicle from a dealer. No offense to our sponsors here and this statement in no way is directed at them and probably not their practices and realistically completely different as dealers go. "

I disagree. I have been screwed over by individuals more times than by dealers. Dealers are just people. People lie and are greedy...both dealers and individuals. I would agree with Shelby and broadcast "the experience" to friends. They were wrong but since nothing was in writing not much can be done. Just not worth the stress.
I would like to include a recent experience of mine. An older "gentleman" recently traded in a Suzuki Verona for a Tahoe. He said it was an 06 ,his wife's car and they bought it new. I wrote up the deal and he went to his credit union to get the financing. When he returned with the title it was an 05. No, I did not look at the VIN....I just trusted him. We signed up the deal and he mentions after all is done that his wife justs "putts around" in the car but says sometimes if feels sluggish....but it has never done it on him. Then I go out and the airbag light and check engine lights are on. Again, all this just after signing up. I figure, oh well, it seems to run well, at least right now so maybe it is just her "opinion" and not a big deal. The only Suzuki dealer is 30 miles away so I take it there to get it checked out before I can sell it. On the way there the automatic transmission sticks in 3rd gear....like a "limp mode". Takes off in 3rd (very slowly and stays in 3rd). Does this apparently after being fully warm and driven a few miles. Does great cold. He knew this...no doubt. Just another food for thought.......upon driving it back after being repaired there is a CD in the radio. Written on it....it says "Peggy's Christian Music". Peggy is the wife. Also has a "Jesus Is Lord" license plate frame. Never heard a word about any problems with the Tahoe. I'm sure he is one happy customer.

H

HHGT

Word of mouth will kill him. They are available at $25K all day long.

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Money is king. Find another one. If it makes you feel better send a letter to customer service of Toyota and report the dealership and let them know this is how they are representing Toyota. Ask them to give you a reason to show some brand loyalty.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Write HQ

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't understand why this is such a big surprise. I trust salesman as about as much as my elected officials. One will say almost anything to make a sale, the other will say almost anything to get elected.

Before throwing stones, I know there are always exceptions like Shelby and others.

Last edited:

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Serves you right,your father was in WWII and your buying Jap Crap.......shame on you....a dealer in jersey not telling the whole story.:eek...Gino has dozens of brooklyn bridges to sell too.:wink......P.S. I think the state put a limit that your only allowed 10 binding lawsuits in one year at a time:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol
CAN YOU IMAGE A SALESMAN IS AT HIS DESK, ITS SNOWING 10 INCHES AND AN ORANGE TIGER COMES IN WITH 4 TWINS AND AN ITALIAN WIFE AND SAYS TRUST ME IN GOOD FOR IT.........THATS ALMOST AS GOOD AS GINO CATCHING ALL THOSE GERMANS IN VIETNAM......:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol IlOvE me....GtJoEy1314

GTNJ is your Dad's name Walt Kowalksi? lol

Ok, ironically, Walt's son in the movie Gran Torino drives the Toyota Land Crusier, Lexus version = GX470

I don't know, maybe this was a blessing in disguise, the Ford gods giving you a message.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I tend to agree with Shelby. This is not a legal opinion (though I am a lawyer) but even though I might be as pissed as you, I would move on. Maybe my feeling would be different if it was a one of a kind car or deal. But here "going legal" is just going to make life more frustrating not to mention expensive. Easy for me to say but I would put it behind you.

I have had awful experiences with dealers just as I have had awful experiences with other lawyers, doctors and accountants. There are bums in every business. Sooner or later the bums by and large get thinned out either by reputation or whomever regulates them.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
We've ALL been there one way or another.

There's an outfit in south Seattle ("B.J.'s Classis Cars", or, "J.B. (B.J.?) Motors", or whatever they're called...they may be out of business now...'havent heard their name in years) that had a "gennie", black-over-red, 1962 Bubble Top, 409/409, 4-spd, 4:11 posi car for sale several years back. I called 'em about the car...got all the usual info...'told 'em if it proved to be what they SAID it was all the way around I'd give 'em "X" dollars for it - would they sell it for that? The owner said he would. So, a friend and I drove down there (2+ hour trip - ONE WAY) to look the car over. As I was in the process of visually verifying what the owner had told me about the car, he said, "Ya know, when I said I'd sell the car for "X" dollars, I'd forgotten THIS car is equipped with blah, blah, blah...so, I'm going to hafta get ("X" plus $5K) for it."

I immediately STOPPED looking at the car...shot him a look that would have KILLED anyone but a crooked car salesman...verbalized EXACTLY what I thought of him for completely WASTING SEVERAL HOURS OF MY TIME...and I left the place before I flew off the handle completely (in my younger days, I did that a few times!).

For YEARS after that, anytime that outfit's name was mentioned I BAD MOUTHED 'EM. Doing so cost them the sale of several cars that I know of...at least they weren't sold to people I know.

I agree with Sam & 'drummer. If enough people bad mouth dishonorable businesses, it'll eventually put 'em out of business.

Last edited:

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Doug,

Word of mouth is the best way to get even. I would also write a letter to the regional manager of Toyota with copies sent to as many in corporate management as you can think. A friend of mine had a similar thing happen some time ago when toyota was making the MR2 Spyder. He wrote letters to Corporate management explaining the terrible treatment by the dealership and was treated to a new car at 7500 below invoice.

Stu

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Money is king. Find another one. If it makes you feel better send a letter to customer service of Toyota and report the dealership and let them know this is how they are representing Toyota. Ask them to give you a reason to show some brand loyalty.

This is the best recourse you can take at this point.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
So, a friend and I drove down there (2+ hour trip - ONE WAY) to look the car over.

Nice to know you drove in your younger days, or did your friend do all of the driving?

H

HHGT

I don't understand why this is such a big surprise. I trust salesman as about as much as my elected officials. One will say almost anything to make a sale, the other will say almost anything to get elected.

Before throwing stones, I know there are always exceptions like Shelby and others.

You were once a Sales Guy. An honorable one I am sure.

nsfkid

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2007
Port Credit Ontario
ac?

"Gone are the days of honor and a hand shake agreement."

Sad, but true.

"Another reason to never buy a vehicle from a dealer. No offense to our sponsors here and this statement in no way is directed at them and probably not their practices and realistically completely different as dealers go. "

I disagree. I have been screwed over by individuals more times than by dealers. Dealers are just people. People lie and are greedy...both dealers and individuals. I would agree with Shelby and broadcast "the experience" to friends. They were wrong but since nothing was in writing not much can be done. Just not worth the stress.
I would like to include a recent experience of mine. An older "gentleman" recently traded in a Suzuki Verona for a Tahoe. He said it was an 06 ,his wife's car and they bought it new. I wrote up the deal and he went to his credit union to get the financing. When he returned with the title it was an 05. No, I did not look at the VIN....I just trusted him. We signed up the deal and he mentions after all is done that his wife justs "putts around" in the car but says sometimes if feels sluggish....but it has never done it on him. Then I go out and the airbag light and check engine lights are on. Again, all this just after signing up. I figure, oh well, it seems to run well, at least right now so maybe it is just her "opinion" and not a big deal. The only Suzuki dealer is 30 miles away so I take it there to get it checked out before I can sell it. On the way there the automatic transmission sticks in 3rd gear....like a "limp mode". Takes off in 3rd (very slowly and stays in 3rd). Does this apparently after being fully warm and driven a few miles. Does great cold. He knew this...no doubt. Just another food for thought.......upon driving it back after being repaired there is a CD in the radio. Written on it....it says "Peggy's Christian Music". Peggy is the wife. Also has a "Jesus Is Lord" license plate frame. Never heard a word about any problems with the Tahoe. I'm sure he is one happy customer.

Just be glad the deal did not go through, If you had purchased the vehicle and you had any issues it does not sound like the type of bussiness that would have stepped up to help you out anyhow.

Things do happen for a reason, More than likely there is a better deal around the corner.

Nardo,
WTF, You know better, You should always look at their trades, if not only to make the customer feel better:biggrin
It still seems to be bothering you though, send me your address & I'll FedEx some anal lube to you
J/K

Mike