I survived the texas mile

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i trailered my viper 2200 miles round trip to do this race which is basically a 1 mile drag race on a airport runway (concrete). i made 4 runs total (2 on saturday and 2 on sunday). my best pass was my final run on sunday when i hit 183.63 mph driving into a 15 mph headwind with a 2500 foot corrected density altitude. my GPS indicated that the static altitude of the starting line is 270 feet above sea level. unfortunately as a result of all the rain and fog that we were fighting all weekend long my weather station was reporting a much higher corrected density altitude of 2500 feet above sea level as result of the HIGH amount of humidity in the air. the air temp was pushin 90 degrees and the humidity was pushin 75%.

anyway, i only made 1 run on the motor (516 rwhp/563 rwtq without the nitrous) and that pass was 172.7 mph. all three of my nitrous runs (640 rwhp/703 rwtq on the bottle) were in excess of 181 mph. when i used the nitrous i used it in all my gears except 1st and 2nd. the general consensus in the pits from the racers that i talked to was that the constant headwinds that we were facing was slowing our top speeds anywhere from 5-10 mph. i think that with no wind and a lower density altitude that i could have hit 190 mph.

there were 3 Ford GT's and 5 vipers there. there were to many vettes there to even bother counting. two of the Ford GT's had whipple superchargers with all the bolt ons and the fastest one of them hit was 203 mph. it was by far the loudest car at this event. it was a tungsten colored GT. if anybody knows what he was running for an exhaust setup please do tell us so i make sure not to do what he did because that was just way to loud :eek

the fastest viper was a gen-2 gts coupe with twin turbos and parachutes. he went 214 mph. there was a bone stock 2008 viper with 1000 miles on the odometer that went 169 mph. i was pitted next to the fastest Vette at this event and it was a C6 Z06 with slicks a cam/bolt ons and a 150 shot of nitrous that he used in all of his gears. his fastest time of the weekend was 195 mph. from what i hear the fastest stock C6 Z06 was slower than the 2008 vipers speed.

a jet powered funny car hit his afterburner at the 5/8 mile mark when he was goin more or less 200 mph and this rocketed him up to 324 mph at the 1 mile mark. supposedly he burned something like 35 gallons of JET-A fuel on that pass :eek

a "jay leno" turbine powered motorcycle made a buch of passes that looked to be in excess of 200 mph but i never did get his speed #'s. in the tech line he told me that it dyno'd 450 rwtq on a chassis dyno and that he went from 0-225 mph and back to zero in 1 mile of distance :eek

a twin turbo supra with parachutes set the new track record for the unlimited street cars at 229 mph. a porsche carrera GT with exhaust modz made a bunch of 180-185 mph runs as well.

i look forward to putting a whipple supercharger on my GT someday and goin back to the texas mile and joining their 200 mph club :cheers

texasmile-resized.jpg

Last edited:

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Was the viper Grey with Maroon stripes? That's Ricky and its one of Heffners twin turbo cars...the car is insanely fast..I think he said he had to do the run in 6th the last time because he ran out of gear.

Outkastscc

Oct 17, 2007
You kept track of speeds better than I did. That jet car was insane. The driver said the windshield was caving in @ 324.

We were running the 1930 Ford Model A with the BBC. We ran 172mph twice. That was our best speed.

How about the Ferrari with the BBC that was crazy too.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Congrats !

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
T Mile

Great Job!

Thanks for letting us know about the Mile. Any video's of your run?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"... if anybody knows what he was running for an exhaust setup please do tell us so i make sure not to do what he did because that was just way to loud." - F.F.

From your description, I'd bet the farm he was runnin' the complete Ford racing exhaust (headers, blah, blah, blah). 'GOTTA be what it was...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
"... if anybody knows what he was running for an exhaust setup please do tell us so i make sure not to do what he did because that was just way to loud." - F.F.

From your description, I'd bet the farm he was runnin' the complete Ford racing exhaust (headers, blah, blah, blah). 'GOTTA be what it was...

Yep, either the FRPP rear exit headers, or Stainless Works without any cats.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Yep, either the FRPP rear exit headers, or Stainless Works without any cats.

Ya. I forgot about the Stainless. But, same-o, same-o anyway bottom line.:cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm sure it wasn't DBTGT. His car will only do "0" on the trailer.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Yes that was Ricky's car. SW ran the 229 in the Supra.

Congrats all!

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Great job Fred!! Hey you making it to the Sliver State in May?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Great job Fred!! Hey you making it to the Sliver State in May?

Larry i will doing the Bonneville 100 this year in June with my viper in the 145 mph class again. i will be doin the Silver State next year in my GT (150 mph class again). i hope to do the BIG bend open road race next year in my viper too (140 mph class). my plan is to eventually use my GT for all the open road racing stuff and just use my viper for short track road racing only at nasa events; but its gonna take me a couple years to make the transition fully complete. i am wating for the warranty to expire on my GT before i start modding and racing it. are you doin the Silver State this year and if so which car are you gonna use?

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Great Job!

Thanks for letting us know about the Mile. Any video's of your run?

yes, somebody videotaped my run. i hope he emails it to me. this is a pic of me and my viper in the pit :thumbsup

SL370666.jpg

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'NICE pic of YOU!!!! :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter