I have never been so happy to screw up a DR launch

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
Definitely. Joe's car is a "limits" car. I think the 1000hp is more than enough.

As they said in the video......"Theres no such thing as too much power, just to little traction" :lol

This video makes it look a LOT slower than it did live.

MG0427

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Central Florida
That's strike 2, I don't want to see strike 3 with that car. You can only get lucky for so long, Please be careful guy's, it a beautiful car, enjoy safely.

MG

Aug 25, 2006

WOW !!

Now having shared this I appreciate you sharing not only the "GREAT" experiences but also those less than stellar. This is the bases of a good story; I like it.

So after watching the clip the first question that comes to my mind; do you or Joe know what sort of lock up there is in these Ricardo units? Certainly I have no way of knowing what took place during this clip and yet is sure seemed like your gal snapped hard left rather than being a torque drift

Takes care of yourself and thank you again

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
damn, I had to swallow another nitro cap... glad the strip was wide...:biggrin

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
High Voltage!

Wow! That was HIGH VOLTAGE! :eek :eek :eek :eek

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
:eek :eek WOHA!! :eek :eek

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Are these links still active? Couldn't get them to work.

Yes they all work.

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area

I noticed that when the car hit 2nd, it went out of shape. This happened to a friend of mine last year, after getting a pulley and a tune, he was traveling down a long road here in Staten island,NY,
when he shifted into 2nd, the car made a left turn, over a center devider, and taking air, landed into a very large tree. Although the front of the car was almost sheared off, the driver and the passenger were able to walk out of the car unhurt. Unfortunately for the GT, it was a total loss. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture.

A testament of how strong these cars are. His speed was very near 80MPH, and he sailed across 2 lanes from the opposite direction.

Gino

Attachments

• ford gt staten island crash.jpg
    ford gt staten island crash.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 141

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I noticed that when the car hit 2nd, it went out of shape. This happened to a friend of mine last year, after getting a pulley and a tune, he was traveling down a long road here in Staten island,NY,
when he shifted into 2nd, the car made a left turn, over a center devider, and taking air, landed into a very large tree. Although the front of the car was almost sheared off, the driver and the passenger were able to walk out of the car unhurt. Unfortunately for the GT, it was a total loss. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture.

A testament of how strong these cars are. His speed was very near 80MPH, and he sailed across 2 lanes from the opposite direction.

Gino

We heard about that wreck. These cars can be a handful, this is the second time we have see Piko's car out of shape. I am only running a lousy 750rwhp, got to get more, but also remember to respect the gal.

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
Bony,

I know it's been mentioned a few times, wouldn't these cars been better off having some sort of traction control? Yes, I agree that this is a drivers car. What you put in, is what you'll pull out....but, although we are all macho guys etc, etc, and we can drive better than the next guy, etc, etc, this car requires a lot of respect and attention to say the least. I just had a pulley and tune done, the car has dynoed at 619 RWHP...I am going to need to get to know this car all over again it seems after watching and hearing all these horror stories. It would of been nice for Ford to make it mandatory to take a driving course....just add it to the price of the car..what do you think?

Monday morning quarterback at your service.......

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
There are implicit reason why Ford designed this car the way they did. No TC was a function of time constraints basically. The lack of TC or speed control didn’t impact my love for this car. It was its platform and ability. I have been in many many situations with my car and it has always been extremely controllable and never scared me. If you want to have seat time in a car that needs both hands on the wheel to enjoy go spend time in a viper.

Always respect what your in control of and learn to understand and enjoy it.

Bony,

I know it's been mentioned a few times, wouldn't these cars been better off having some sort of traction control? Yes, I agree that this is a drivers car. What you put in, is what you'll pull out....but, although we are all macho guys etc, etc, and we can drive better than the next guy, etc, etc, this car requires a lot of respect and attention to say the least. I just had a pulley and tune done, the car has dynoed at 619 RWHP...I am going to need to get to know this car all over again it seems after watching and hearing all these horror stories. It would of been nice for Ford to make it mandatory to take a driving course....just add it to the price of the car..what do you think?

Monday morning quarterback at your service.......

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bony,
It would of been nice for Ford to make it mandatory to take a driving course....just add it to the price of the car..what do you think?

I think we all need to be mature and respect what we have. We already have some states telling gun owners that they need to take a course before they become owners. I frankly know what my limitations are (they are many) and don't want big brother or a corporation to tell me or look out for me.

High performance driving identical to becoming proficient with a weapon. Unless you train all the time, your skills will not be at the cutting edge. I worry about folks who attended racing drivers school years ago and drive once a year at an open track or a vintage race.

I recall what the insurance companies did to the muscle cars, and I expect to see that happen again. Today aircraft insurers determine which pilot can fly what based upon rating their policies up to stratospheric unmanageable levels.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
this car requires a lot of respect and attention to say the least. I just had a pulley and tune done, the car has dynoed at 619 RWHP...I am going to need to get to know this car all over again it seems after watching and hearing all these horror stories.

Somewhere I advocated for everyone to take their car to the track once. Not to really race, but to see what it does when you put your foot in it while from a stop or in first gear. Makes you a whole lot saner (if that is a word) and gives you respect for the car and the trouble you can get yourself in to REAL QUICK. I know - more than one unintentional spin on the track.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Wassup with the time stamp? This was last weekend correct?

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
Wassup with the time stamp? This was last weekend correct?

Saturday.

QKSTNG514

Mar 8, 2006
Orange Park FL
Torrie sent me the video yesterday.. I was in Bradenton running our Drag Radial car where we lost in the finals but had a blast anyway..

I sat here staring at the video saying ... WHOA!!!!

Havent seen the car in awhile.. Hope to see it again in still in one piece....

TonY G

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
If I remember from their dyno sheet, the car gains 400 whp from 4000 to 4800rpm.Might have something to do with sudden wheel spin/loss of control.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I guess this is just too much torque, too quick. Would make sense with four wheel drive, but even my modestly set up car is at the limit of grip so often, you really need to be comfortable to react instinctively to keep it on track.

Can't imagine how it is to drive Joe's rocket. But frankly, I think the driver here should have been able to keep her on the straight. seems to react too late once the car swings, and then, hits the brakes... All over, naturally.

632C2

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
Puyallup, WA
Torrie, that's just incredible! You are one fortunate guy! I would really like to see a 1/4 mile run in your car - providing they would let you run.

Steve