"I didn't get picked to buy a NGT" sour grapes thread

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Here's a mounted one from the movie (Christmas Story) - It hangs above the closet in my guest bedroom.

View attachment 42408

Haha....that is awesome. Love that movie, too.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sinovac, you need a new thread for "I'm too tall or too short or too fat or too ......."

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
You guys are derailing my thread. There is way too much optimism and good cheer in your posts. Effeminate weenies.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I am not too worried. I may not do any social media, but I am sure the Ford GT haiku I wrote for the application will blow them away.

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
My quick take:

There are a great deal more potential buyers than there are cars. A great many of these potential buyers have tremendous passion for the Ford GT and would be great advocates for the nameplate. Many of them unfortunately won't be able to get a car in the first go round, and that is a bummer. Very low volume is the price of the time-intensive construction method that has been chosen for the car.

With that in mind, I would say that whether you manage to get a new GT or not, it's a great thing that the lineage of the name has been expanded. There are now 3 historic generations of the car, and it is a lucky thing to own any of the three, especially since they all serve different purposes while retaining such strong familial DNA. And to have the new GT already out there on the top step of the podium? It's a great time to own a Ford GT. Any Ford GT. The legend grows for anything with the name on it.

It's weird to me to see some trashing of the new GT here and there, or "table setting" for trashing based on the possibility of not getting one, or on the misguided notion that the 05/06 is "old news" and dinging the new car will make that go away. I will never own a LaFerrari. I'm still really enthusiastic that it exists because I love cars. I'd imagine there are guys with an F40 that couldn't get one. Engaging in fratricide over that reality is fruitless. Tearing down a different generation of low volume supercar isn't going to make any other generation more valuable or more desirable, and if anything, will do the opposite.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 407

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Great post, Mike.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
filling out this application is like filling out an application to an Ivy League school! And the
Chance of "entrance" probably even less!!! Rumor has it over 7000 applications after first week?!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I think Sue and I could adopt a child at our age and not have to give up as much personal information. ������

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I didn’t get selected cuz Im a loser

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Rocketman...a loser doesn't beat Winn Dixie to Fenway. Don't sell yourself short...even though collectively we don't add up to 11'. Hahahah

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
filling out this application is like filling out an application to an Ivy League school! And the
Chance of "entrance" probably even less!!! Rumor has it over 7000 applications after first week?!

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-12%20at%208.40.12%20AM_zps5ch9t8fy.gif

Indeed.

If there are about 15,000 applications, and 500 allocations, than it's a 3.33% acceptance rate for the inaugural class of 2017.

On the plus side, University of FGF has a strong reputation as a Ivy League prep school and an exceptional Chancellor, Board of Directors and Student Body.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Gentlemen,

All the above is true of course, but my visualization has made it so real that it could take months to shake off. From the day the NFGT was introduced I could see a bright yellow NFGT with black stripes and #34 on the doors parked in front of my favorite restaurants, looking out over the hood on the road during Arizona GT Getaways, on the track at Rally 11, and proudly sitting next to '06 #34 in my garage. I feel like it's already an old friend, I know what it's like to drive, to sit in, to own. In my mind the money has already been spent, the car spec'd, built, and delivered. I remember the thrill when the transport pulled up to the front of my home, Charley flew in from Texas to be there, and how great it was when the lift gate was opened and I saw it for the first time. It's all real.

It will take more than a "Thank you for your interest but...." letter to shatter such certainty. It would require at least 10 sessions with a psychotherapist, Suicide Hotline on speed dial, and a bulk purchase of Zoloft. But hey, I'm a survivor! Certainly no trail for a stepper like me. :willy :willy :willy

Chip

Sorry but we are now outta GT's
th.jpeg

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Sinovac - trolling?? :rofl

That's funny!

When I was younger, "trolling" had an entirely different meaning. It was much more fun too.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
That's for sure! That's why Ford should grant me a GT allocation, so I can re-focus my energy on what is important. ;-))

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
When I was younger, "trolling" had an entirely different meaning. It was much more fun too.

I never heard that one. Is that like motor boating, only slower?

stew

Jan 20, 2015
Louisiana
Has anyone heard anything? A buddy of mine told me his was rejected. I haven't heard anything. The last day I was able to edit it and make changes before I went on a vacation with no internet access, I got an email stating mine wasn't complete. Hopefully that was sent from some earlier revision and not my final, but I don't know. I was just curious if anyone else had gotten a response yet or knows how to find out if your application was submitted successfully...

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Has anyone heard anything? A buddy of mine told me his was rejected. I haven't heard anything. The last day I was able to edit it and make changes before I went on a vacation with no internet access, I got an email stating mine wasn't complete. Hopefully that was sent from some earlier revision and not my final, but I don't know. I was just curious if anyone else had gotten a response yet or knows how to find out if your application was submitted successfully...

If your application was submitted successfully you would have received an email from Ford informing you that it was submitted successfully. Every time you edited it you should have received a new notice from Ford.

Chip

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
So an email from Ford that only said, "LOL" is not a good sign???

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I was wondering what might happen if one had a completed application and then went in again and edited it but did not successfully confirm and re-submit. Would the older completed submission still be intact?

In any event, once I completed it on the last day and received the confirming email, I did not go in again and check it at all. And I haven't gone to the application site since.

stew

Jan 20, 2015
Louisiana
Well that fills me with sadness... Good luck to the rest of you guys. This thing is an incredible marvel.