How much impact will Barrett-Jackson have on the market?

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
It's always interesting to see what all the cars go for. I think the state of the economy and stock market is the real Bellwether for prices of any luxury goods...

Brian is correct. I’ve been tracking the Exotic market for a specific make and model for over a year. As market volatility hit, prices fell. I pulled the trigger and bought two cars that I’ve been tracking within the last two weeks because indeed prices dipped substantially. Now I will be selling a couple cars to make room, but I’m waiting for the next rise in the market to begin my sales campaign. Prices truly correlate to the financial markets.

As for the auctions, specifically B-J, not only do they make tons on commissions, but those of us buying and selling provide them with even more valuable MEDIA CONTENT with which they leverage to rake in even more millions. I prefer to keep my buying and selling quiet and personal, not trotted out across a stage in front of cameras for millions to see.

Last edited:

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
So after fees, what did that 300K do for the owner?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
So after fees, what did that 300K do for the owner?

If 10% commission, $270K

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Remember the old saying. "The House Always Wins"

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
2.1 for a Supra...I wonder if they hadn't hammered so fast on the GT500 if it wouldn't have gotten much more than it did.
The Heritage GT should be crazy high..

If Craig Jackson was the winning bidder... no wonder it hammered quickly

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Brian is correct. I’ve been tracking the Exotic market for a specific make and model for over a year. As market volatility hit, prices fell. I pulled the trigger and bought two cars that I’ve been tracking within the last two weeks because indeed prices dipped substantially. Now I will be selling a couple cars to make room, but I’m waiting for the next rise in the market to begin my sales campaign. Prices truly correlate to the financial markets.

As for the auctions, specifically B-J, not only do they make tons on commissions, but those of us buying and selling provide them with even more valuable MEDIA CONTENT with which they leverage to rake in even more millions. I prefer to keep my buying and selling quiet and personal, not trotted out across a stage in front of cameras for millions to see.

Tim ,
What did you add to your car stable?

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Tim ,
What did you add to your car stable?

Nothing really special. An AMC Gremlin and a Pontiac Aztec, 234,000 miles, used as a farm truck. (If you believe that!)

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Nothing really special. An AMC Gremlin and a Pontiac Aztec, 234,000 miles, used as a farm truck. (If you believe that!)

I'm sure the Gremlin is your favorite! Got any pics?
I'll trade you for Ford Pinto pics! I Also have a Chevy Vega!

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Seemed like this time Scottsdale was the year of the SUV and resto mod. Tricked out Jeeps, custom Broncos and how about those resto mods!
Judging by the hammer prices the builders/consignors were at least breaking even on their rolling works of art.
All original concours correct way under the expected value(s).

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
None, interest rates, global trade and recession will effect the value of the GT.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Difficult to find a pattern. Stock market peaked end of 17. Collector car market in 16 and was headed down in 17 already! Maybe collectible car market predicts economy!!??
Interesting younger buyers like look of vintage cars (especially vettes), but want later mechanicals! Restmods crazy money, more than totally original!!

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
All the restomod crazy pricing reminds me of when custom Chopper bikes were the hottest thing going. How long this cycle goes is anybody's guess but all the awesome creations are still a matter of taste and the long term value questionable.

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I'm sure the Gremlin is your favorite! Got any pics?
I'll trade you for Ford Pinto pics! I Also have a Chevy Vega!

I challenge you to a run-off with a twist. I’ll drive your Vega and you drive my Gremlin in a head to head grudge match.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I challenge you to a run-off with a twist. I’ll drive your Vega and you drive my Gremlin in a head to head grudge match.

Ok I'm in!

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Red GTX-1

465757BD-9157-4AAB-9D21-4089F404CD81.jpg

Dave

Out of all the GT’s there the owner of The GTX-1 was in with car all day Friday and Saturday morning talking with people as they walked by... he was pulling em in.... if memory serves me right it had a Texas inspection sticker in the window

There are multiple factually incorrect statements being made about this GTX1.

For starters, unless someone robbed my building, I have another red one sitting here.

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Chris

Not anymore. This was it... Texas inspection sticker on window

There is a red GTX1 in Austin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
1970 FORD LICENSED (recreation) BRONCO. 5.4 SC or a Coyote.... $250,000

Taking orders!!!!

At least 4 different companies with these. These included diamond stitched seats, paddle shifters, manual transmissions, wooden lacquer flooring and numerous other choices to build your baby...

Cha Ching....

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
I had a 67 Shelby GT-350 restomod years ago like in the 80's if was very cool in the day, but if it still exists, and is in the same condition, it would need fenders, rear quarters, outer wheel houses, due to flairs.....for starters, it would also need a 289 hipo, try to find a date correct 67 hipo....next to impossible. Again that is all for starters....I don't think anyone would pay much for that car today and since you can buy originals for cheap today, why would you pay much? I guess I just don't get the hype.

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Sheesh! A Boss 429 under 200K What is going on????

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
It wasn't resto-modded.