How many of you have Burnished your Brakes?

H

HHGT

Wow, I did not know there is a procedure for this? How many have Bedded-in (I guess that's the term used) their brakes after buying their GT or after doing a brake-job?

http://www.fastz.com/z06/BrakesBurnish.html
http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Burnishing_Brakes

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I just changed my rotors and pads and did so.

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
A good practice that really pays off! Pagid has a break-in that is similar to the first method listed albeit using higher speeds. I just broke in some new Brembo rotors, Pagid pads and super blue fluid using their method. The combination of good bedding, better pads, rotors and fluid on the track were impressive and a noticeable improvement over the stock system.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Wow, I did not know there is a procedure for this? How many have Bedded-in (I guess that's the term used) their brakes after buying their GT or after doing a brake-job?

http://www.fastz.com/z06/BrakesBurnish.html
http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Burnishing_Brakes

I just changed my rotors and pads and did so.

You guys must brake a lot!! I just turned 46,000 miles today, and my original pads still have about 60% or more left on them.

Remember, brakes just slow you down! :lol

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You guys must brake a lot!! I just turned 46,000 miles today, and my original pads still have about 60% or more left on them.

Remember, brakes just slow you down! :lol

Mine only got fried from the Texas Mile. They were always fine having tracked the car, but hauling the car down from 200+ in a fairly short distance and then having literally zero cool down was causing hairline fractures in the rotors.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
A good practice that really pays off! Pagid has a break-in that is similar to the first method listed albeit using higher speeds. I just broke in some new Brembo rotors, Pagid pads and super blue fluid using their method. The combination of good bedding, better pads, rotors and fluid on the track were impressive and a noticeable improvement over the stock system.

That's exactly what I have and do.I use Pagid yellows for the pads and the brembo racing slotted rotors on the front.You don't need them on the rear
I had no problem at Vir with that set up

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I showed up at VIR with new rotors, their "bedding" was hot laps. I use Pagid blacks, a touch more "street" that the yellows that Ron runs. no issues on the 2-3 hours I packed in the only dry afternon

GTRob

Feb 18, 2009
No matter what type of vehicle you have, when you replace the pads and rotors you should always "seat" (or burnishing) the pads to the rotors. Each type and brand of pad will have a different procedure. 90% of the people are not aware of this (guessing at the number).

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
That is the best part of changing the brakes. ANTI-LOCK CHECK!!! click click click click click clcick

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...90% of the people are not aware of this (guessing at the number).

Yep - it's usually on a folded paper called "Instructions" that everyone throws away. :willy

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That is the best part of changing the brakes. ANTI-LOCK CHECK!!! click click click click click clcick

You really do forget how bad ass the brakes are until you stomp them at 70.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
No matter what type of vehicle you have, when you replace the pads and rotors you should always "seat" (or burnishing) the pads to the rotors. Each type and brand of pad will have a different procedure. 90% of the people are not aware of this (guessing at the number).

Make absolutely sure the shop does it, or that you do it yourself. If the shop says they did it, ask them specifically what they did, and whether they got the ABS to actuate properly after bedding in.

A hard part is finding an appropriate and safe place to do the bedding in runs, where people don't think you are crazy or you attract unwanted attention.