How Fast Will the 08 ACR Be?

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Any thougths here on how the 08 ACR will stack up against other stock cars GT3RS? GT2? ZR1? Z06? on a road course.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Not very good, I would say...not for speed, not for the track and certainly not "best bang for the buck". It does everything good, but the rest are better. IMHO.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'd have to disagree there Rock. The 08 Viper has already been shown to be pretty quick. Take away 60 pounds of rotating mass, add 1000 lbs of downforce at 150, throw in some Pilot Cup tires, etc and I think it will make a pretty stellar race car. I wouldn't be a big fan of trying to use it as a street car, but for a pure track car, I'm willing to bet it will post very fast laps repeatably.

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
Can't comment now on your question, but I should be able to provide an opinion around July-August as I have an ACR[hardcore delete] being manufactured next month. 1st Viper. Have an RS and my oldest son has a '07 ZO6. We do a lot of track work together. Will also be interesting to see how the ACR stacks up to a pullied/tuned Ford GT.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Convenient article to answer some of those questions:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=6460

Lap Times at Willow Springs:

2008 Viper ACR 1:29.33
2008 Viper Coupe 1:32.19
2008 Lambo Gallardo Superleggera 1:32.47
2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 1:33.14
2008 Lambo Gallardo 1:34.32
2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S 1:37.09

Looks like the ACR is pretty monstrous out there.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
looks like about .2 sec to me difference. Now if bony was driving who knows????

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Looks like the ACR is pretty monstrous out there.[/QUOTE]

The non-ACR '08s are not too shabby either!

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia

Dave,
Missed this one from R&T. Thanks for the link. I don't know Willow Springs other than what I've seen on a few videos, but if the ACR is lapping ANY track almost 4 sec. faster than the GT3 RS, it is some car. I ordered one of the ACR's a month ago, more out of possible future collect ability than usage, but now I'll have to re-think that idea.:biggrin
Haven't owned a Viper before, so this may be an interesting "purchase".

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Dave,
Missed this one from R&T. Thanks for the link. I don't know Willow Springs other than what I've seen on a few videos, but if the ACR is lapping ANY track almost 4 sec. faster than the GT3 RS, it is some car. I ordered one of the ACR's a month ago, more out of possible future collect ability than usage, but now I'll have to re-think that idea.:biggrin
Haven't owned a Viper before, so this may be an interesting "purchase".

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. It definitely looks like it performs as a serious hardcore track machine. All those numbers were on the same day too, which makes them much more credible. To clobber the SL and GT3RS like that is very impressive.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
They have already run a 1:28 at Willow with a regular 08 Viper on stock tires. Then again, a different driver, different day.

I can't wait to get mine. It is going in to production tomorrow, so hopefully I will have it in a month. It's all black with only the drivers stripe, so I dont have to wait for Prefix to paint any stripes. After I break it in, I will take it to Willow Springs and see what I can do. I just hope to keep it on the track. :lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Help me out,... you bought a FGT, sold it because of your bad back...
bought a Viper, now buying another Viper... congrats on the new purchase.
Is a FGT in your horizon? Come on Rocman, you fell out of the nest, mama bird is here for you!! :)

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Help me out,... you bought a FGT, sold it because of your bad back...
bought a Viper, now buying another Viper... congrats on the new purchase.
Is a FGT in your horizon? Come on Rocman, you fell out of the nest, mama bird is here for you!! :)

Actually, I bought the FGT, then bought the Viper, then sold the Viper, and then sold the FGT. I would have kept my Viper, but it had the smell of death inside.

Getting in and out of the Viper was really not that bad. The reason the GT did not work for me was that I always had to almost walk on my hands and knees to get under the door. Once I was in the car, I had no problems.

I am on the road to recovery, and ABSOLUTELY WILL get another GT. I think probably next year, after I build a 2nd garage. No room for any other cars. I actually don't have room for the ACR. I am looking for some investment property out here so I have another garage to park things in. :lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
OK Ace:)
Just keeping you on a tight leash :)
Hope you will be back in FGT saddle soon!! :)

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
OK Ace:)
Just keeping you on a tight leash :)
Hope you will be back in FGT saddle soon!! :)

Don't worry, my friend. I will be behind the wheel of another one soon. I'm just waiting for more Carbon Fiber goodies to be available. Believe it or not, I am more of a carbon fiber lover than even the great BONY. :banana

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
They have already run a 1:28 at Willow with a regular 08 Viper on stock tires. Then again, a different driver, different day.

I can't wait to get mine. It is going in to production tomorrow, so hopefully I will have it in a month. It's all black with only the drivers stripe, so I dont have to wait for Prefix to paint any stripes. After I break it in, I will take it to Willow Springs and see what I can do. I just hope to keep it on the track. :lol

I will be very surprised if you see your ACR within 2 months. I have a 08 SSG that was finished the first week of December and its now 3 months later and it hasn't been shipped yet. Now it is getting the stripes but I doubt that takes 3 months. Have any 08's arrived in California yet?

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I will be very surprised if you see your ACR within 2 months. I have a 08 SSG that was finished the first week of December and its now 3 months later and it hasn't been shipped yet. Now it is getting the stripes but I doubt that takes 3 months. Have any 08's arrived in California yet?

I know that stripes will add over 2 months to it, but they could be backed up. Yes, I know someone that got their 08 over a month ago. I got to ride in it, and it is considerably faster than the 06. I am in no hurry for mine, so if it does take 2 more months, it's fine with me. I have no place to park it. :lol

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA

But the ACR coupe they used for the tests wasn't a production car so maybe they could tweek the alignment a bit, tuned the engine a bit more aggressively, etc. And with the roll bar, the car would be a lot stiffer also and that could add to better handling. But alsmot 4 seconds over a GT3 RS is none the less very impressive. Time to look for more garage space....

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
People here pay $30K over MSRP for the GT3RS and the ACR just destroyed it on a road course. Even the stock 08 Beat it handily.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
For those of you that have ordered and taking delivery of the ACR soon, are you guys paying any premium over MSRP? I just have a very very nasty thought that I can make room in my garage by getting rid of the Challenge Stradale and use the money to get an ACR AND a GTR. As the GTR can be left outside of the garage.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
For those of you that have ordered and taking delivery of the ACR soon, are you guys paying any premium over MSRP? I just have a very very nasty thought that I can make room in my garage by getting rid of the Challenge Stradale and use the money to get an ACR AND a GTR. As the GTR can be left outside of the garage.

I am paying MSRP for mine but I have a long established relationship with my dealer and I just bought my SSG from him. If you really want one you had better get to it most of them are already spoken for. I priced a GTR here and there 15-30K over MSRP.