How far do you need to open door?

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
I would add, if possible, put the passenger side of the car against the wall tight. Position the drivers side in the center of the garage... So you can drive in straight on the right side of a 2 car garage or back in on the left stall. But you knew this already....

Slow Poke

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2009
Bay Area
I may hold the record at about 35 degrees (I am only 5"7' and 125 pounds). Technique is as follows - stretch legs out, roll to left on stomach, put stomach on door jam, put arms on floor and pull yourself out. I try to count the advantages of being small. This is one of the few.:banana

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Slow Poke - if I tried your exit technique, sliding out on my belly, I would still be on the floor in my garage. Wow.

Last edited:

Slow Poke

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2009
Bay Area
Like I said, there are a few advantages of being small (but not many). That being said, we all love our GTs. The car is practical in its ease of driving and comfortability. But it becomes impracticle since it is so hard to park, get in and out of and there is absolutley no storage, even for a map or ones glasses or wallet. If Ford had to do it again, I would say either: 1) keep the doors the way they are with the roof attached to the door but put on butterfly hinges or 2) make a regular door like the F430 but I suppose doing that would take away from the original history of the car which is not good.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
gtforme - the OP says he is in the Austin area, not BC. I know the guy with the black GT in Horseshoe bay; I have a Tungsten/Silver and live here in Austin. I'd be glad to let you check mine out; send me a PM. However mine is currently in West Texas since I took it up there to welcome the original #1 MKIV that won in 1966 to the Chapparal museum in Midland. I should have her back in Austin in the next few weeks. In the meantime I'm schlepping around in my GTS Viper :lol:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I may hold the record at about 35 degrees (I am only 5"7' and 125 pounds). Technique is as follows - stretch legs out, roll to left on stomach, put stomach on door jam, put arms on floor and pull yourself out. I try to count the advantages of being small. This is one of the few.:banana

...and I'll bet you AREN'T "over 60" either!!!!! :bang :willy

OzarkGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 4, 2009
Opening door wide

Well I have to confess that at 5'6" 225lbs (no comments please I'm short and fat but increadibly strong:wink) I have to open the door completely wide, in fact if you think seeing toothpaste squeezed out of a tube is sexy then you would love to see me exit my GT!
I have wondered if anybody has produced some kind of device that would clamp on the far left side of the seat adjustment handle to help someone like me that has trouble reaching in front of the seat to move seat back to make exiting even possible. I don't know if this even makes sense but I have to move seat all the way back to get out then all the way up to drive and reaching the adjustment is a bitch. Wally

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
There is no way I would let this stop me from getting a FGT! Even if you can not open the door at all, if you love cars like I do you will find a way. In my case, I ran out of garage space in my two car garage but wanted a Lamborghini Murcielago. I put a 4 post lift in my garage and was planning on parking the Murci on top and the FGT on the bottom. The Murci was too wide for the lift so I park the FGT on top as a result. I then pulled the murci in the bottom slot and realized I could not get out since the doors open up and the lift was above me! Solution...lower the window on the Lambo and climb in/out ala Dukes of Hazard style! I have a step stool in the garage next to the wall that helps. Therefore, if I can do this (6'0", 240 lb.) when I can not open the door at all, you can certainly do it if you love cars as much as I do. The FGT is the best car I've ever had and would not let your situation stop me or even factor in to my decision one bit. Best of luck and I hope you get one!:thumbsup

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I ran out of garage space in my two car garage but wanted a Lamborghini Murcielago. I put a 4 post lift in my garage and was planning on parking the Murci on top and the FGT on the bottom. The Murci was too wide for the lift so I park the FGT on top as a result. I then pulled the murci in the bottom slot and realized I could not get out since the doors open up and the lift was above me! Solution...lower the window on the Lambo and climb in/out ala Dukes of Hazard style! I have a step stool in the garage next to the wall that helps.

You need help! :lol

Excellent work... :cheers

I bought a Murcielago only to find it would not go through the front gates of my house (they were at an angle).

I had new gates built and had to store my car at a friends house until the work was complete.

Thank God it went in the garage after all that!!

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Buy the house next door. Rent the house, tenant pays the mortgage, you get the garage.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You need help! :lol

Excellent work... :cheers

I bought a Murcielago only to find it would not go through the front gates of my house (they were at an angle).

I had new gates built and had to store my car at a friends house until the work was complete.

Thank God it went in the garage after all that!!

Just for future reference, Neil, there's wonderful new invention available now that you might want to look into. It's purpose, in part, is to help people avoid little surprises such as the one you experienced. I believe it's manufacturer calls it a "measuring tape"... :rofl

(Rotten to the core, I am...:biggrin)

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
getting out of GT

Just saw this post. I park close to my left wall. I covered the wall with a nice Blue yoga mat so that I never contact the wall with the door (glue to wall). I then open the door and press it against the wall mat. Take left foot out then right foot. bend way over and crawl out of the open door like going thru a short tunnel..
Works every time..proverbs say .."a small garage should never keep a man from owning Ford GT" (old Italian proverb)
AJB

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Ninja skills.....check...

GT....work in progress.....

Just need to decide, red, blue, black, or tungsten. They all look so beautiful :biggrin

Leaning red even if it is more common, still havent seen a red in person though. I've seen a black in horseshoe bay area, and a white/blue out by the airport and on burnet. That one of you guys?

I have always wanted a Tungsten and finally got one but honestly every one of the colors is awesome when you are there next to it. In its own way Red is one of the coolest. I actually love the Red with no Stripe. They are all awesome.

Start yoga now!

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Before you change to the Lambo doors, have a look at why they are the way they are.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4pkiw2H02I

RMaximillian

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2009
I have a two car garage (no post in the middle). One big garage door. In it there is a Ford GT, an 11 ft long three person jet ski with trailer, two motorcycles (including a big Harley), five bicycles, and a storage cabinet. Everything fits just fine. I can only get in and out from the driver's side since the jet ski is next to me on the right. All vehicles can come in and out without moving anything else.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Before you change to the Lambo doors, have a look at why they are the way they are.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4pkiw2H02I

'Good point. However, I doubt "daytrayd" (or any of the rest of us) will ever find it necessary to exit our garage - or a parking space anywhere - quite that rapidly! :rofl

(Okay. I'll say it before anyone else CAN: "I spent a good deal of time coming up with reasons NOT to exit my garage at all...at ANY speed." There. 'Happy now? :tongue :slap)

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
'Good point. However, I doubt "daytrayd" (or any of the rest of us) will ever find it necessary to exit our garage - or a parking space anywhere - quite that rapidly! :rofl

Yeah, but the history is so cool. Quite a number of people ask about the doors, expecting them to open upwards, then you get to tell them about LeMans and the LeMans start.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Yeah, but the history is so cool. Quite a number of people ask about the doors, expecting them to open upwards, then you get to tell them about LeMans and the LeMans start.

Very true. I had that conversation a number of times. BUT! If garage space is cramped and the "B" doors will solve the pblm - the conversation piece logically hasta take the back seat! :biggrin :cheers

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Just for future reference, Neil, there's wonderful new invention available now that you might want to look into. It's purpose, in part, is to help people avoid little surprises such as the one you experienced. I believe it's manufacturer calls it a "measuring tape"... :rofl

Unfortunately, as is often the case, during moments of ENPE (Extreme New Purchase Excitement), neither instruction manuals, tape measures or any other form of sensible strategies are applied. A bit like sex in some respects. Apart from the tape measure bit.

tony h

GT Owner
Jun 16, 2010
United Kingdom
Best bit about a smaller garage is that any potential thief would not be able to get into the car - thats the best reason to go ahead and make the purchase. This is probably the only purchase in life that you wont regret......