How far do you need to open door?

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Hello,

This is my first post in the forum, I've been reading for a while and been admiring the GT for 5 years now. I'm now in a position to get one, yet I only have a two car garage of average size. Therefore there is only 1.5ft between vehicles, and I was worried this would not be enough room to get in and out of the vehicle. What are yalls experiences with this unique door/roof combo? About how much room do you need to get out?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ideally, the door needs to open all the way, almost a 90 degree angle. 1.5 feet would make it hard. If you're thin it's easier to get in and out without the door being wide open. Sounds like your other car needs to be outside all the time.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
With only 1.5" you might have to do climb out the window like the car transporters do! :ack

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ice, he said 1.5 ft, not inches.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
My garage is bit less than 16' wide - smaller than standard due to the age of my house. I can do it with 1 GT. Other option is to get out of the car just in front of the garage, and push the car into the garage by the bumper. Car is light and this is easy to do. At one point, I had 2 GT's in my small garage and had to do this. I'd just get one and figure it out later...

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
My garage is slim too.

Thing to do is park the GT first (before the other car), that way you'll have room to open the door.

The GT is 'moderately' light, you can roll it around, particularly if you push on the wheels (which is always easier).

As noted above, you need to open the door fully, however I get away with about 70% open in my garage.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
5 ft needed :) My fat butt can't get out hardly at all if the door isn't all the way open. Now here is your solution if you like mods and can swing the money.

1. Buy GT
2. Send to Detroit, have GT Guys install Door Modifications
3. Install all other modifications and begin the addiction
4. Drive car enjoy the crap out of it

I have attached a picture for you to see what the doors look like.

gtbhinge.jpg

Good luck...oh and you didn't tell us what part of the world your in?

Matt

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
I'm definately on the slimmer side for now, 180lbs 5'11", but growing by the minute :ack I like the idea of pushing it except that I'm afraid I wont be straight and push it into the shelves. As far as getting the other car out of the garage, I've tried talking to the misses without luck. I'm guessing moving the other car first, then bringing out the GT and putting the other car back is another option I didnt really think of. The GT is worth is right? :biggrin

Edit: I do like the lambo type hinges for increased functionality out and about, and could eliminate my garage problem. How much do those run? I had tried to find them after I saw a pic but had no luck. And yes I'm sure the mod addiction would begin soon after. I grew up modding my mustangs and established my Ford roots. I'm now looking forward to buying the pinnacle, and puttting on probably 4.0 whipple, heffner exhaust, and a solid tune. That should be good to start, haha. And BTW I'm in Austin, TX. I've seen some members from here I'd like to do one of those cars and coffee sometime soon.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Neilda hit the nail on the head. Though it WILL become a tiresome routine, the only real practical solution to your delema is to move the other car out of the garage before getting in/out of the GT. (And, for obvious reasons, I'd suggest you also park that other car with it's driver's door AWAY from the GT.)

Of course, you COULD do the obvious & widen the garage a couple feet...assuming that's a physical possibility. Or (also assuming THIS is physically possible), install a wider-than-standard side door in the wall of the garage adjacent to where the GT's door will be when 'parked. You could then just open that side door to gain the necessary clearance.

Edit: From what you stated about your garage's width, the "butterfly" GT door hinges may not actually provide enough clearance "real world".

Hey, Aggie: Would you measure the max total width of your GT WITH THE DOORS OPEN so daytrayd can determine if that mod would solve his pblm?

(Pockets, you're a GENIUS...)

Last edited:

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
(Pockets, you're a GENIUS...)[/QUOTE]

Not exactly a word I would use to describe you....but if it makes you feel good.....go ahead!
:lol:rofl

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
(Pockets, you're a GENIUS...)

Not exactly a word I would use to describe you....but if it makes you feel good.....go ahead!
:lol:rofl[/QUOTE]

You're one to talk! I've been told by the time you graduated kindergarten - you were DRIVING TO SCHOOL. :tongue :slap

'Mizzerbull, no good, nasty, no account dadgum Texas blowhard...

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
About how much room do you need to get out?

About enough not to hit your head again ........and again.......and again....... :ack

I'll learn one day. :rofl

--

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Fat men can drop in - it's the getting out thats the PIA!

Need to learn the drop, duck and roll. 90 degrees is preferred but it has been done in 60 degrees.

I have a three car garage with a single and double door. So-I back the FGT in the single side under the 4 post lift with no problem!

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
I went through this dilema when I bought my GT and before it arrived I was so worried about this issue. But when it actually go there I managed to squeeze is perfectly to one side near te wall so My wife's SUV comes in with ease and I can get in my car (Only if I Back In) and she can rol in and out too. Sometimes you may have to get trickie and get your clothes dirty and do a semi Ninja roll out. But your biggest concern should be when you park in public parking lots and if some dude just parks right next to you !!! Daaah Good luck!!! I may consider the door job by GT guys in the near future just because I think its much cooler. But for now just get your GT and join us officially. I suggest you talk to some of the guys on the Forum including Shelby EliteAutos and FordGtforsale and and other guys who are actual dealers who know these cars and can make sure you get a good car.

Good luck and practice your Ninja rolls!!! :):thumbsup

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Ninja skills.....check...

GT....work in progress.....

Just need to decide, red, blue, black, or tungsten. They all look so beautiful :biggrin

Leaning red even if it is more common, still havent seen a red in person though. I've seen a black in horseshoe bay area, and a white/blue out by the airport and on burnet. That one of you guys?

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
Hello,

This is my first post in the forum, I've been reading for a while and been admiring the GT for 5 years now. I'm now in a position to get one, yet I only have a two car garage of average size. Therefore there is only 1.5ft between vehicles, and I was worried this would not be enough room to get in and out of the vehicle. What are yalls experiences with this unique door/roof combo? About how much room do you need to get out?

Daytrader

You asked a good question. I have 3 car garage with not much room. If park as far up against the 4x4 support beam on the passenger side I have 23'' to open the drivers door against the carpeted padded wall. in that space I rotate in the seat and get my feet out the door. From there crouch crawl out from under the door. Don't stand up before you clear the door or you will bump your head.
Good luck you may want to try it out first.:cheers and welcome the a great forum

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The mod hinges are furnished by one of our sponsors, Guerin (?) in Florida. Only certain people can install them (GTGuys, Shadowman). Cost, if I remember correctly, is about $13K for parts plus several K for the install cause it is labor intensive.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
do a semi Ninja roll out.

:lol

New GT phrase 'the semi ninja Gurney roll'

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Hello,

While it is much easier to get in and out when you can swing the door all the way open, it is possible to get in and out in a regular parking spot. Getting OUT isn't so bad as you can see where you are going, you just have to stay crouched under the top of the door. Getting IN the car when you can't open the door very far is the trick. I've learned to get in the exact opposite as you get out. That is, bend over at the waist and Back your butt into the seat and then swing your legs in..

Piece of cake... and no worries if someone parks next to your drivers door. But better, if you park in a lot, put the drivers door next to an island or grassy area so no other car can park next to the drivers door.

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
Daytrayd

Judging by the locations you saw the GTs at you must be living in BC , Canada

I also live here and I have a white with blue stripe GT , you indicated that you saw one by the airport , that would not have been mine.

If you want to see my car and the garage it sits in you are welcome , I am going through a similar dilema as to how to organize cars as I have my shely cobra arriving in a few weeks and I have to sort things out so I can get in and out of the GT , I am thinking about a 4 post lift

I also know another forum member that lives close to me who has a red one and you can see a brand new red one in Ocean Park Fords showroom , I think that might be the only brand new GT left in Canada

Rob