High mileage Ford GT

xpresso

GT Owner
Feb 25, 2007
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Interested in getting a FORD GT (>14K miles) and was wondering if anyone has experience with the maintenance associated with such a car.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I'm at 11,500 and my maintenance has been oil changes, one replaced shock (under warranty) that died (rear driver's side), a set of rear tires around 8,000 miles and some door latch adjustments.

I had the GT Guys do some upgrades, but obviously that's not required maintenance (though after experiencing the upgrades I'm thinking they should be added to the service schedule...:biggrin).

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I have 11,000 on my GT and I did the oil changes, replaced the front rotors and pads, replace the rear tires.

Nothing much else.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
It is just like any other NORMAL car. Maintaining these beasts are nothing like an F car or L car. There is one that I know of with over 50K miles.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I was amused at my first service, after years of Bentley, Aston and Lambo driving, to see a bill that featured an oil filter costing about $20! :lol

As posted here, the costs aren't large - however many owners (me included) don't use them that often.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
I was amused at what you call a high mileage car. 35,000 and still going.

My attitude is what was expressed on air at B-J. One of the commentators has a friend that uses his GT as a daily driver. He asked his friend what happens when the car gets beat-up. Friend replied; That's easy I'll buy one and a low price at auction from some one who hasn't driven it and missed the fun and start all over again.

Dave

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I've got 11,000. A couple oil changes, changed the axle bolts. That's it. My AC control is squirelly, so I'll have that replaced in the spring.

A buddy of mine has nearly 40,000. He's done oil changes, and been through 4 sets of rears. Otherwise, nothing to speak of.

(barondw, wow!)

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
A friend of mine has 21,000 miles and drives the wheels off it (been through 3 sets of tires). It runs like a champ.

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
Milage?

Mine's under 8K and Im lovin' every mile, every turn. Must agree with whoever said "enjoy the car and buy another from someone who's kept it in the wrapper, thinking he has a gold mine".
Replaced bolts w/Acccufab, rear tires, oil changes along with diapers and several wonderful up-grades having nothing to do with normal servicing.
These cars are bullet-proof and sooo much easier than a Ferrari! Been there, too and the FGT is every bit as fun as the 250 Lusso. Maybe more!

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
17,000+. Changed oil/filter every 3000-5000 miles, trans axle bolts as precaution, absolutely no problems, except the big s.e. grin plastered on my face!

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
How about 70,000 miles? Our old shop car had been used for high mileage testing. 20 hours a day for months, at the hands of drivers who didn't care about it at all. (contract people)

When it was finally given to the shop as scrap, it had been through 3 wrecks, MANY tires, several clutches, and MUCH abuse. Several of us fixed the old girl up, added a prototype Borla muffler, and used it to give rides out back and around the plant. One employee did a big burn out, not knowing the plant manager was right behind him. Feces in the fan!! Another managed to take out 2nd gear. 30 days off with no pay.

With all the seat time I've had in GTs, I can honestly say that not one production car would touch the old girl.

Sadly, when the shop closed, it went on to the great race track in the sky. But not before our supervisor gave it one more good run.

R.I.P. Baby

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I have one with 12,000 miles. Only oil changes and rear tires at this point. It is somewhat bullet-proof and not too costly maintenance-wise.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

44k +. Oil changes, leaky shock, tie rod ends, door seal, axle bolts, trans fluid changes, air filters, tires, brake pads & rotors, wiper blades.

Just your normal routine items. No squeaks, no rattles.

Just as much fun to drive now as when new.

cimaxgt

GT Owner
Jun 7, 2007
57,500 cimaxgt

normal tune up, oil change,tires,axel bolts,brake pads,trans fluid,wipers, front windshield, engine belt, coolant, normal service etc..... car runs forever...borla exhaust needed welding, head light bulbs,clutch removed and replaced

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
44k +. Oil changes, leaky shock, tie rod ends, door seal, axle bolts, trans fluid changes, air filters, tires, brake pads & rotors, wiper blades.

Just your normal routine items. No squeaks, no rattles.

Just as much fun to drive now as when new.

Jeff what happened to the tie rods?

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
How about 70,000 miles? Our old shop car had been used for high mileage testing. 20 hours a day for months, at the hands of drivers who didn't care about it at all. (contract people)

When it was finally given to the shop as scrap, it had been through 3 wrecks, MANY tires, several clutches, and MUCH abuse. Several of us fixed the old girl up, added a prototype Borla muffler, and used it to give rides out back and around the plant. One employee did a big burn out, not knowing the plant manager was right behind him. Feces in the fan!! Another managed to take out 2nd gear. 30 days off with no pay.

With all the seat time I've had in GTs, I can honestly say that not one production car would touch the old girl.

Sadly, when the shop closed, it went on to the great race track in the sky. But not before our supervisor gave it one more good run.

R.I.P. Baby
This one says it all. Great story Rich.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I LOVE hearing these stories. I know I drove one of the press cars at 23,000 miles at Laguna and it was still awesome.

At almost 12,000 miles I was actually starting to think I should maybe ease up, but after reading this thread $*#@ that! My 20-year high-school reunion is happening back in Denver this summer. Guess I know what I'm driving from L.A. back there to freak out the old buddies. :cheers

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
normal tune up, oil change,tires,axel bolts,brake pads,trans fluid,wipers, front windshield, engine belt, coolant, normal service etc..... car runs forever...borla exhaust needed welding, head light bulbs,clutch removed and replaced

Climax! (Pretend this post is from Shelby :wink) Have you retrieved your FGT?

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
My 20-year high-school reunion is happening back in Denver this summer. Guess I know what I'm driving from L.A. back there to freak out the old buddies. :cheers

And that you will!

We had a "Class of 62 turns 62" reunion about one month after I bought my GT. Somehow or another about 6 "car guy" classmates had found out about my having bought it (THAT word gets out awfully fast). They "confronted" my wife and I at the entrance to the reunion venue, and proceeded to climb all over me 'cause my wife & I had come to the event in my S-10 sport side!:lol ( Don't say it MAD, Stormy, ROC, et al :bored)

After about 3 hours of pretty much constant badgering by them ('literal truth) to bring the car down there (which I didn't really want to do for a variety of reasons), I went home, got the GT, and brought it down to the event for a bit so they could "lookie-loo"... then took it back home and returned to the reunion in the S-10 again! :lol

Oh. Need I mention the car was a "hit"? And much to my surprise (and relief), there weren't but one or two classmates who even appeared to have their noses put "outta joint" over the car. Everyone ELSE seemed honestly excited to see it.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Jeff what happened to the tie rods?

A bit of a clunk going over speed bumps and rougher roads. The rod ends (not tie rods sorry) on the sway bar had looseen up on the inner carrier. Replaced and no more noises. Jeff