Help I am locked out of my GT

CSX 2104

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2006
Las Vegas
I must have left the rear hatch open slightly last time I used the car and now I assume the battery is dead because the key fob won't open the car and the key won't open the door and the owners manual is in the car. Any idea's would be appreciated. Thanks.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
you should be able to put the ignition key in the tumbler in the driver's side door and open it manually that way.

CSX 2104

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2006
Las Vegas
One would think?

However the key doesn't open the drivers side door. The tumbler is not tumbling.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Very odd. Did you try both keys? One might be a little off.

If that doesn't work: on an ordinary car one can call a tow truck company and with a Slim Jim they can open the car. On a GT I would probably call a locksmith.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Locked Door

Sound like a warrantee issue. Call the GT hotline. Can't hurt. Gotta wait until Monday. Closed all weekend.

Or call Ford Roadside assistance. They are "open" all the time. Just tell them you can't get the door open with the remote or the key.

Let us know how yo made out.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Right Jeff. Only thing is, you might want to get an estimate for how long it will take for the Ford assistance to get there - often these roadside assistance services are VERY slow (hours) and even then they might just load the car on a flat bed. A locksmith can probably get you into the car faster. Then all you have to do is boost it.

FYI the tel no's for Ford are: 1-800-565-3673
The GT hotline is 1-866-742-3673. Good luck

CSX 2104

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2006
Las Vegas
Neither key operated the door tumbler but the key did work the front hatch which I opened and charged the battery and opened the door. Upon opening the door I immediately noticed the fan motor was operating on it's own which is what drained the battery I would guess? Since leaving the rear hatch open slightly I don't think activates any lights or can drain the battery?. No way to turn the fan motor off unless you disconnect the battery. I disconnected the battery and will call the Ford GT hotline Monday. Thanks for the numbers.

Makes me wonder if science has designed an instrument that can accurately measure the speed at which I am going to dump this POS Ford product. A phantom fan blower????? I had the POS Ford battery tender plugged into the cigarette lighter no way the battery drains in a day or two unless something like a fan blower decided to activate itself? That has Ford quality written all over it. I own three late model Ford trucks all have had one electronic glitch or another. Yet somehow my 40 year old muscle cars all seem to start just fine after sitting for weeks on end with nothing more than a battery tender attached to them. I just can't imagine why Ford is suffering from declining market share?

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Now I feel dumb. I assumed that if you couldn't open the door locks you couldn't get the trunk hatch open either.

I haven't had any of these problems (knock on wood) so I don't know if the clamshell being open would drain the battery. I do know that if the clamshell is open and the key is in the ignition the "door ajar" idiot light on the dash will stay on. Seems like the fan is the culprit for the flat battery.

Also, some of these guys who sell SCT tuners are able to re-program the fan settings, so it may be something easily fixed by just re-flashing the ECU.

I would not let the frustration of the moment make me hate the car though. Most cars have some sort of glitch, no matter what you pay for them.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hey, guys - does anybody in this group actually KNOW what, specifically, drains a GT's battery so dadgumed fast W/O a "trickle" on it???
I have several other cars/trucks that "sit" for extended periods of time, and THEY don't suck their batteries dry. They all turn over "right now". 'Never a pblm. THEY all have clocks, and computers, and "black box" ignitions, and all that sorta stuff. ( Well, all the new ones. But, MOST of the rest do too.)
The only other car I've ever had that was prone to this was my Delorean back in the early '80's - BUT IT WAS ALL BOSCH EQUIPPED. ('Nuff said THERE.)
'Anyway, does one of you know what's up with this??????? :confused
Oh! "Happy Vet's Day" to all of you for whom that applies. And, "B.Z.'s" to you as well for your service to the country.)

E.P.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Some alarm systems drain the battery more than others too.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
RED:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
Good point.
But, all my car has along those lines is the "keyless entry". :frown

E.P.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Mine too. No problems so far with anything. But I am definitely going to try the key slot in the driver's door now!! So maybe CSX 1024's problem is a blessing for the rest of us. Look on the positive side Shelby Man!

CSX 2104

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2006
Las Vegas
My car was sitting in the garage without the alarm on and the Ford battery charger plugged into the lighter. Now even with the key out of the ignition the fan motor blows air into the cockpit. Only solution I could come up with is to disconnect the battery? As far as I can tell you cannot open the door even with the key if the battery is dead? You have to open the front hatch or trunk or front deck lid whatever it is called charge the battery then the doors will open.

I don't think if the rear hatch is open slightly it will cause the battery to drain?

Sounds like the body computer has malfunctioned and has the blower motor operating on it's own? About the most ridiculous glitch I have ever heard of? I wasn't too impressed with Fords battery charger that plugs into the lighter because as far as I could tell it didn't have a light to let you know it was charging or not? For all I know it failed the battery drained and that caused the body computer to malfunction? Either way for a 150K car it's all bullshit as far as I am concerned and is consistent with what I had heard about the quality control of the Ford GT prior to my purchase from other Ford GT owners which is why I procrastinated so long before buying one last month.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Open the access panel in the passenger side when the passengers shoes would rest to access the fuse panel, yank 2.32 10 Amps and f2.7 5 Amps and that should stop the fans but allow the car to run. My guess is pulling only 2.32 won't fix it since this is only hot with the ignition on, 2.7 is on always. You must have a short whereby 2.32 is always hot.

BlackICE

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
CSX 2104 said:
My car was sitting in the garage without the alarm on and the Ford battery charger plugged into the lighter. Now even with the key out of the ignition the fan motor blows air into the cockpit. Only solution I could come up with is to disconnect the battery? As far as I can tell you cannot open the door even with the key if the battery is dead?

Question: Can't tell from your message whether you are referring to the climate control fan or the fan for the radiator. If it is the CC interior fan, have you tried turning the fan control knob until it is off?

Also - the door tumblers are there as a safety measure so that you CAN open the doors with a low battery. See pp 34 -35 in the owner's manual.

FYI if you lock the doors you have also turned on the alarm system, which does have a draining effect but should not kill the battery. Need to check the whole electrical circuit; maybe your alternator/regulator is not working properly and not charging the system as you drive. That would explain why the battery tender did not work effectively because it was not left on long enough to re-charge it fully.

Visit the dealer Monday for the complete physical.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Since you just bought your car a month ago, is it possible that the dealer had let it run down and then jumped it with a booster that ruined the battey? That has been known to happen before if one sits on the floor for an extended period of time before they sell it. That might explain why it wasn't taking a charge.

My car is an early 2005 that sat for months before I bought it and I have never had a problem with the battery. It sometimes sits for as much as 4 weeks with no charger on it and then fires up on the first revolution. I don't lock the door so maybe the alarm system isn't active. Maybe I just got a good one.

Aug 25, 2006
I almost hate to say... knock on wood.... no battery issues and yet I remain fairly good about keeping my gals on tenders.

If I were to guess I would be leaning towards a simple DOA battery ... the draw of the cards rather than a drain. I have let mine sits for a few weeks with no issues at all then kick myself for not keeping the tender on her.

Relax; she does have Ford written all over her.... and I get comments from folks like darn cool car but....... it is a Ford; we never thought that you would buy a Ford. I tell each of them that she is fricken awesome to look at, feels great to drive and in many ways I like her better that other exotics in the stable.

My only concern is warranty work because I do not feel that Ford properly prepared the dealers for this task; sad. At least if I roll the Lambo or the Ferrari into the dealership they have the right mindset for working on gals that take bit of TLC.

Now as for the lock situation..... WOW is all I can say. I just tried mine because like many I NEVER use the key but always assumed that it was a failsafe.... it appears that the key does nothing more that activate power to the button..... mine would not allow for opening the door if the battery were dead...... now I will remain even more diligent about keeping the tender on her...

Having shared this I have no regrets

Shadowman

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
The only thing that argues against the simple battery/charging problem is the fan being on with the key out. That's pretty strange.

Maybe a couple of shots of Old Turkey will help!

Aug 25, 2006
Red Rocket said:
The only thing that argues against the simple battery/charging problem is the fan being on with the key out. That's pretty strange.

Maybe a couple of shots of Old Turkey will help!

My apology; I read but did not retain the fan situation.

The fan should "NOT" be on as such there is a mechanical issue apart from the battery. I have not looked at the wiring diagram on these gal's so I can not confirm but it could be a glitch in the PCM or something as silly as a relay sticking (interior fan) and the the exterior fans could also have a temp sender not allowing the system to drop the ground.

Does it comes on and off on its own or are there simply times that it never shuts off?

Relax; a real PITA but still a small issue.

Takes care

Shadowman

CSX 2104

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2006
Las Vegas
All really good thoughts.

The climate fan inside the cockpit is on even if the key is not in the ignition. It's not the radiator fan. I bought the car about a month ago but just had it delivered it sat at the dealer for a while than at friends for a while before coming West, than sat at my house for a while all without any problems. As soon as I put the Ford battery tender in the lighter two days later the car is locked down with no power to the battery. After getting the battery charged is when I noticed the fan blows constantly whether or not the ignition is on. Were I to leave the fan on it would immediately drain the battery.

So the question is what drained the battery to a level where it had no power at all? I assume the car automaticlly locks the doors when the battery gets low to a certain level because I didn't lock the door last time I used it. It's one of three possibilites as to the dead battery as I see it.
1. The fan motor came on after a body computer failure?
2. Battery charger somehow flashed the system and caused the computer to malfunction causing the fan to come on.
3. The rear hatch being slightly ajar caused the battery to drain and subsequently caused the computer to malfunction.

I cringe at the thought of bringing the car to my local Ford dealer. I should just take a key to the side of the car myself before bringing it in and letting them ding or scratch it. The one big disadvantage to owning the Ford GT is the Ford dealer service department. So I will call the Ford GT hotline and try to talk them into sending out a field tech. Other wise just plan on more aggravation and a few new dings and scratches from the Ford dealer.