Hello from Oklahoma! New FGT owner

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Regarding the tires, I agree Bridgestones is the way to go, but dont expect a good deal from any Ford dealer. I have tried with my local dealer and they dont carry Firestone/Bridgestone and say that is due to Ford having a long memory back to the Firestone/Explorer problem. They did offer to work with me to find a good price, but in the end, they could not come even close to getting them at a Tire Rack price. They said the Tire Rack price was less than the wholesale price the local Firestone dealer could get them for. So I bought the tires, took them to the dealer and then got them to mount and Road Force balance them.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have tried with my local dealer and they dont carry Firestone/Bridgestone and say that is due to Ford having a long memory back to the Firestone/Explorer problem.

Can't say that I blame them.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Tire Rack is by far the best price and in my case were shipped to me within 24 hrs at my front door. (From Shreveport, La. to Texas City, Tx.) They have warehouses all over the country. Being a former Ford Dealer my dealership could not compete with the price from Tire Rack. They were fresh tires and I would not go anywhere else. Thats my 2 cents. Tomy PS A NO BRAINER FOR ME. I even ordered tires for my S. Texas hunting truck and saved money.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Got the car back. I questioned them on their charge for the sender. They dropped an hour off of the charge stating it was 30 minutes to diagnose and another hour to remove and replace. Still think it's a bit of a sham after looking at the location of the sensor, but it fixed my gauge problem so I'm happy it wasn't $800+.

Oil change was $216. Fuel filter was a bit high...I believe I'll do that myself next time since it is easy to get to. I mostly had it changed because I don't know how long old fuel has been in the car and didn't want fuel system issues.

Other than that stuff, they said she was in good shape.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I feel kinda bad. I've had the car out several times and I'm starting to get annoyed with people to a degree. What's up with the idiots on the highways that damn near run everyone else off the road so they can get up to you, tailgate your ass, and then pass you like they really have a chance? Why do they blow past you and then shut it down? Do they just want to feel like they have beaten you? I don't get it. I can understand wanting to see the car...I've done it myself, but lets not disregard everyone else on the highway and act a fool.

On another note, I've had a few good conversations with people who have stopped to look. People have actually stopped while I was fueling up and asked if they could take a picture. I always say yes. I didn't buy the car for attention and sometimes it bothers me when people holler, but I also remember when I thought I'd never own one and anytime I saw one I was like a little boy in a toy store. I really feel honored to have one of these in my garage.

After picking the car up from the dealer service trip I stopped at a store. As I was walking into the store, a younger couple was checking the car out. As I left the store, they were still outside oogling the car...the wife told me he was waiting to hear it start. At this point I thought, "Why haven't I ordered that Accufab x-pipe yet?" LOL I told them about the history of the GT40 and how the GT came about. They were really interested in what the car was and I enjoyed talking to them about it for a few minutes. He was kinda amazed to learn it was a 5.4l V8 in the back with a supercharger on top. I think so many people have lusted after Ferrari's and Lamborghini's that they just don't know what the GT's are. They are amazed to learn that it is an American made supercar.

Later on in the evening... My son asked to spend the night at a friends tonight. OK, no problem. The wife suggested instead of cooking at home that we get the GT out and go out for dinner. DONE! She fully supported me buying this car and she's starting to really enjoy riding in it. She's already told me she will NEVER drive it, even though I've encouraged her to do so. She's a nervous wreck when she drives my GT500. I don't understand why. She says she doesn't want her hands on the steering wheel if something happens...her fault or not. I've told her it is just a car and can be replaced.

We cruised through a couple trendy areas in Tulsa and picked a place somewhat based on safe parking spaces. Fuji Sushi (Brookside Tulsa) it was. We eat there 3-4 times a month. Good dinner. :)

On the way home I pushed the car a bit more. I'm completely amazed at the acceleration, even with 6 year old tires and our pavement being in the mid 70's. I was cruising about 15 MPH in 1st gear and nailed it. Slapped her into 2nd and we were doing 100 in no time. The tires never broke loose. My wifes response was the best..."I wasn't expecting it to slam my head into the seat!" AWESOME! It felt so planted...just like a rocket. My GT500 would have broken the tires loose the second I punched the throttle...which I like, but the sudden controlled acceleration just confirmed my reasoning for buying this GT. This is one AMAZING car. :)

I love the way this car drives, handles, accelerates, etc. As much as I still love driving my '11 GT500 as a daily driver, this GT is amazingly different in its own respect. I'm almost to the point of saying screw the investment aspect...invest in driving and enjoying this masterpiece.

I hope next year allows us to make the next Rally!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I feel kinda bad. I've had the car out several times and I'm starting to get annoyed with people to a degree. What's up with the idiots on the highways that damn near run everyone else off the road so they can get up to you, tailgate your ass, and then pass you like they really have a chance? Why do they blow past you and then shut it down? Do they just want to feel like they have beaten you? I don't get it. I can understand wanting to see the car...I've done it myself, but lets not disregard everyone else on the highway and act a fool.

I don't get that either. Happens out here too. Are they trying to get you to do something foolish? I have had 2-3 very close calls with cars coming close to clipping my rear quarter in an F1 style pass. Gotta be super aware of these guys.

Be careful on those Goodyears.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I feel kinda bad. I've had the car out several times and I'm starting to get annoyed with people to a degree. What's up with the idiots on the highways that damn near run everyone else off the road so they can get up to you, tailgate your ass, and then pass you like they really have a chance? Why do they blow past you and then shut it down? Do they just want to feel like they have beaten you? I don't get it. I can understand wanting to see the car...

I've done it myself, but lets not disregard everyone else on the highway and act a fool...invest in driving and enjoying this masterpiece.

I hope next year allows us to make the next Rally!

Welcome to the world of the Ford GT. This happens to all of us. Just stay safe - some people just get crazy when they see these cars. I've always figured that they want to race a car that they don't have a chance to beat, so I let them make fools of themselves, and just motor along as if they weren't there.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
What's up with the idiots on the highways that damn near run everyone else off the road so they can get up to you...

Get used to it. On a multi-lane highway, the people in front see you in their mirrors (encouraging to know that most people do use the mirrors) and your lane opens like Moses parting the Red Sea. Then they scramble and jockey for wingman and tailgunner positions so they can try to drive and take cellphone pics at the same time. That is the scary part.

And, I don't think this can be said too often, easy on the throttle when the tires are cold.

Congrats. I like the "...invest in driving and enjoying this masterpiece" philosophy.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've considered getting a bumper sticker that says "I let you pass me"

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Congratulations SSRob on your beautiful new yellow GT and welcome to the forum.
I've enjoyed reading your impressions as you get into the ownership learning curve.
If you have not read this thread you need to. It has all the tire information you will need.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?12372-THE-Tire-Thread&highlight=tire+thread

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Try getting a a sport bike and watch how the nitrous ricers /VW's and many others want to test you against their 4"exhaust equipped battle-axes...they just don't get it...LOL

Oddly, I've never been tried against with the GT. My guess is that's it's so intimidating, they just stay far away. Now, if I'm in the Z or the Viper...they always wanna go, especially the modified 'Stangs and Camaro's... I just let them go. I have nothing to prove (and no electronic traction control either - LOL).

@ SSRob - congratulations on your purchase. It will plant that same smile on your face each time you taker her our for a spin!

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Thanks guys. Trust me I'm being ultra careful with the car/tires...but when the chance presents itself to push it a little bit in a "safe" place, I do. I want to know when the tires will break loose at lower temperatures so I will know better how the car behaves. If I can control it under non-optimal conditions, it'll help me drive it when conditions -are- optimal. I'm still really surprised how differently this car grips than my GT500. Same type of tires, Goodyear F1's. 65 MPH on the highway in the GT500, I can punch it in 2nd gear and break the tires loose...even on warm roads and tires up to temp. Last night when I punched the GT in 1st, the tires were semi-warm but still never let loose...it just accelerated like crazy. I guess maybe it's the wider tire and the weight of the engine helping to keep them planted? Or is it that the car is light enough that it accelerates before it starts spinning the tires? Maybe a bit of both?

I have noticed that when I floor it, there is a slight hesitation and then it gets it on. Is this typical on the stock motor/tune?

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Actually we used to ride sportbikes several years ago. We had a VFR800 and an RC51. We had our fair share of ricers that wanted to race, LOL.

Try getting a a sport bike and watch how the nitrous ricers /VW's and many others want to test you against their 4"exhaust equipped battle-axes...they just don't get it...LOL

Oddly, I've never been tried against with the GT. My guess is that's it's so intimidating, they just stay far away. Now, if I'm in the Z or the Viper...they always wanna go, especially the modified 'Stangs and Camaro's... I just let them go. I have nothing to prove (and no electronic traction control either - LOL).

@ SSRob - congratulations on your purchase. It will plant that same smile on your face each time you taker her our for a spin!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You should see how much MORE attention you get in a RED car!

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I've yet to own a red car...I have an F-250 that is Screaming Yellow. Maybe if I win the lottery I'll pick up a red GT :)

Accufab X-Pipe ordered. New tires can wait until spring.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Does anyone have a recommendation for a low profile floor jack? I'd like to be able to pull the wheels and be able to clean them and the inner fender wells really good. I have the jack pucks already but my floor jack is too high. I guess I could just find some tire wedges and do it that way.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I have noticed that when I floor it, there is a slight hesitation and then it gets it on. Is this typical on the stock motor/tune?

I have not heard anyone describe typical throttle response as anything but instantaneous. Mine (with pulley and tune) has zero hesitation.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Several threads on this topic, to find more options that work. I have this jack:

http://www.tooltopia.com/atd-tools-7325.aspx

Nothing of course beats a lift....

Does anyone have a recommendation for a low profile floor jack? .

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I have this Arcan professional quality aluminum low profile jack. Got it specificly for the GT and it works very well. No trouble getting under the car to the side jacking point. I did buy a urethane pad for it.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200345428_200345428

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Thanks for the links on the lowpro jacks.

I had looked at a scissor lift jack...but not so sure I trust one of those with the GT on it. The one I saw was on eBay for about $1800. I have 9ft ceilings in my garage but a four post lift wouldn't work because of my garage door. If anyone has any recommendations for scissor lift style that don't break the bank, I'm open ears!