Hello from Oklahoma! New FGT owner

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Heya,

Rob here from Oklahoma. Took delivery of my 2006 yellow/black GT last Tuesday night. 3 option car (no BBS wheels), 1 owner (out of Atlanta, GA area), 2800 miles. Checked out great on CarFax/AutoCheck.

I'm 39 and my journey with sports cars has been short but furious. In 2010 I bought my first "sports" car, a 2010 Mustang GT that had been tricked out pretty nice. It had blue racing strips but we peeled them and re-striped it purple for the wife to drive when I bought my next car...

In 2011 I bit the bullet and bought a black GT500. She's pretty much stock besides the aluminum drive shaft, Borla cat back system and a few outside tid bits. This is my daily driver and I love this car!

I started wanting a 2013 GT500 but the salesman at our local dealership seems to think I should chase him around to buy one. Nah...I don't do business like that. I've always said if it's a hassle, walk away, there's a reason.

I've lusted after the GT's since the day they came out but never dreamed of being able to buy one or afford owning one. Every time I've seen one, I've been envious (in a good way) of the owner. Things change and now I have one!

This car is pretty flawless as far as I can tell except a few minor things. It's tough finding even the smallest amount of grime in the deep cavities of the engine area. There was some passenger side mirror damage but the dealer I purchased it from sent me a brand new mirror. I'm going to take it to my local Ford dealer this week to get her a good look over and have the mirror swapped out. I think I may have a bad oil sending unit or gauge also. I'm hoping it's the sender.

I've driven her about 60 miles so far. It sure is fun...I can't believe how smooth the gearbox is. The whole car rides incredibly nice...and it's crazy that it's quieter inside than my Cobra!

I've already learned a great deal about the car from the forum by lurking...I appreciate all the info that's been posted here!

I bought this car with the mindset of an investment that I can touch. She won't see very many miles. Maybe someday I can afford another that I can drive around more often without worrying about mileage.

Is the paint finish on the front trunk lid usually kinda rough looking? Is an exhaust upgrade worth the smiles per gallon? I was looking at the Accufab x-pipe.

Any other owners in the Tulsa area? I've seen a few running around.

Can't wait for the Shelby meet next year!!!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Welcome aboard! :thumbsup

Enjoy, and be careful.

:cheers

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Welcome! You have some nice Fords!

Re: trunk lid paint issues, yes there were a few. I'm aware of some that were corrected at Saleen back in the day.

Re: aftermarket exhaust, absolutely a fun and worthy mod. Accufab is a great choice, many others out there as well.

Willrx

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2012
Atlanta
Welcome!! I had a '13 GT500 for a short time. The GT is a different car all together. Enjoy!

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Welcome, I am from Atlanta and thinking about adding a yellow to the collection. I never saw this advertised here so great find

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Welcome!

I have the long tube headers, and Ford racing "muffler". Sounds amazing. Don't see a lot of them for sale - but check this out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261114079246?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
Welcome and congratulations! Every mile is a new opportunity to learn and enjoy these cars. I've had mine less than a month, loving it a lot. Have fun... but not too much fun until you get used to the way 550hp in the middle of the car behaves.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Welcome aboard! Enjoy the heck out your new GT, as we know you will. As others have mentioned, it's a lot of power so, just be careful until you know what to expect when you mash that throttle!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Just be careful when turning sharply and accelerating, especially with cold tires and/or cold pavement. The factory tires are hard as hockey pucks when cold. Plus there is a long standing discussion about "old" tires. If they are original and you intend on tracking the car consider replacing them with the Bridgestones.

Let the rest of the mods begin. Get the Short Throw Shifter for sure.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
welcome, you will love the experience, sounds like you got the exact car you should have.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Congrats. Where are you in OK? I am in SW Missouri and Dave Trumbo is in Tulsa. Last I spoke with him, he had two GTs, one a twin turbo.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Welcome to our little GROUP.

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Welcome...but let me warn you. I just went to my first rally and figured out that you don't want to collect this car, you want to drive it. Plan on Rally 8 and see what I mean. I felt the same way as you until I met all these guys in NOLA and now....I get it. Rally 8, here I come!!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Welcome...but let me warn you. I just went to my first rally and figured out that you don't want to collect this car, you want to drive it. Plan on Rally 8 and see what I mean. I felt the same way as you until I met all these guys in NOLA and now....I get it. Rally 8, here I come!!

Here! Here!

We took ours up the twisty canyon road for the second weekend in a row. You'll never have a diner time than howli g the exhaust off vertical rock walls

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Congrats and welcome !!
As far as this statement " Is the paint finish on the front trunk lid usually kinda rough looking? " are you talking about the inside of the hood or the outside? The outside paint should be as smooth as the rest of the car. It may have clear bra on it.
There were two hoods. One has a smooth inside and one has a rough area where you see the fiberglass matt texture.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Hey Mike it was great to meet you !!. I plan to keep my GT forever but I also plan to enjoy it !!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Look for DBTGT in Tulsa. He sold his twin turbo and has only his silver/black now. He's been conspicuously absent here as of late.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Welcome!! I had a '13 GT500 for a short time. The GT is a different car all together. Enjoy!

It definitely is, Willrx. Funny story... Before I bought the GT500, I expected it to be a rumbling grumbling beast compared to our regular GT. I bought the GT500 without even test driving it and when I fired it up for the first time, I was actually disappointed that it didn't breathe fire!

The same thing happened with this GT. I figured it would be a noisy, bouncy grumbling beast...and quite to the contrary, it's a quiet little pussy cat until you put your foot into it! The noise level in the cockpit going down the highway is astounding considering what the car is.

I've got 65 miles on this thing and I'm hooked! Don't even ask me about my 14 year old son! I think he peed himself when I told him I pulled the trigger! LOL!

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Welcome and congratulations! Every mile is a new opportunity to learn and enjoy these cars. I've had mine less than a month, loving it a lot. Have fun... but not too much fun until you get used to the way 550hp in the middle of the car behaves.

Thank you! I'm taking it easy with her right now. I've stuck my foot in it a few times in 2nd gear and you can definitely tell there is some rubber back there...they start making that deep rubbery wheel spin noise as they start to break lose. When I have some space to slide or spin out (ie, not on narrow public road ways with curbs) I'll put my foot in her a bit more and see where the breaking point is and how she behaves. With the GT500 (20,000 miles and two sets of tires so far) I'm all too aware of the horsepower coupled with the F1 tires. In the summertime they are like velcro but anything below 55F and they behave like the old plastic wheels on a big wheel...spin baby spin. i drive the 500 year round unless there is ice or snow. I realize a mid-engine behaves even more differently. Trust me, I'm not taking any chances with this car!

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Just be careful when turning sharply and accelerating, especially with cold tires and/or cold pavement. The factory tires are hard as hockey pucks when cold. Plus there is a long standing discussion about "old" tires. If they are original and you intend on tracking the car consider replacing them with the Bridgestones.

Let the rest of the mods begin. Get the Short Throw Shifter for sure.

Roger the tires! I'm not sure if these tires are original or not. Tread is pretty decent but the car only has 2800 miles. Surely the 1st owner didn't blow a set that quickly.

Are you talking about the Potenzas? If so, we put a set on the wifes Mustang and I have been really impressed with them. I don't get to push them very hard though because she always reminds me who paid for them and how much they cost. LOL!

FRPP short throw? Is it still super slick but kinda notchy? I let my son shift for me the other day and he agreed that the shifter feels like a video game...just butter smooth. Love it!

Sweet Heritage man! There is one running around here occasionally.