Hello from Oklahoma! New FGT owner

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Congrats. Where are you in OK? I am in SW Missouri and Dave Trumbo is in Tulsa. Last I spoke with him, he had two GTs, one a twin turbo.

I am just West of Tulsa. About 30 minutes (20 FGT minutes LOL) from Hallett Raceway actually. Do you come out this way for the Shelby show?

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Welcome...but let me warn you. I just went to my first rally and figured out that you don't want to collect this car, you want to drive it. Plan on Rally 8 and see what I mean. I felt the same way as you until I met all these guys in NOLA and now....I get it. Rally 8, here I come!!

Ya know, I was in NOLA the day you guys arrived...I just didn't know you were there until I started reading the forum! Maybe this would be a good road trip for the wife and I next year. I'll definitely keep it in mind!

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Congrats and welcome !!
As far as this statement " Is the paint finish on the front trunk lid usually kinda rough looking? " are you talking about the inside of the hood or the outside? The outside paint should be as smooth as the rest of the car. It may have clear bra on it.
There were two hoods. One has a smooth inside and one has a rough area where you see the fiberglass matt texture.

What I'm seeing is on the outside. It's like you can actually see the fiberglass fibers through the paint. It kinda has me thinking, hmm?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Ya know, I was in NOLA the day you guys arrived...I just didn't know you were there until I started reading the forum! Maybe this would be a good road trip for the wife and I next year. I'll definitely keep it in mind!

Have her ship her needs ahead, as she'll only have room for some crotchless panties & peek-a-boo bras in the luggage storage. Make sure you pack any tools you may need.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Have her ship her needs ahead, as she'll only have room for some crotchless panties & peek-a-boo bras in the luggage storage. Make sure you pack any tools you may need.

I would probably trailer it there...I'm still in that low mileage mindset. However, I'll still tell her that the crotchless panties are a requirement. I mean after all, it _is_ a Ford GT. ;)

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...However, I'll still tell her that the crotchless panties are a requirement. I mean after all, it _is_ a Ford GT. ;)

:thumbsup :thumbsup

:cheers

Current milage - >60,000

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

And don't put anything in there you don't want to melt (like make up) because it will. Maybe use it to pre-cook a small turkey in the pan.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
What I'm seeing is on the outside. It's like you can actually see the fiberglass fibers through the paint. It kinda has me thinking, hmm?

I have never seen this condition on the outside of the hood. The hoods are fiberglass with a gelcote finish. It would be difficult for the fibers to show thru the gelcote under normal circumstances.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I'll post a picture later tonight.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Welcome SSRob! Put some miles on that thing! Life is too short.

PS Hope to meet you at Rally VIII

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Rob,

you can tell the manufacture date of the tires pretty easily. There's a set of #s written on the sidewall which correspond to the year and week the tire was made. i.e. 06/43 means 43rd week of 2006.

Roger the tires! I'm not sure if these tires are original or not. Tread is pretty decent but the car only has 2800 miles. Surely the 1st owner didn't blow a set that quickly.

Are you talking about the Potenzas? If so, we put a set on the wifes Mustang and I have been really impressed with them. I don't get to push them very hard though because she always reminds me who paid for them and how much they cost. LOL!

FRPP short throw? Is it still super slick but kinda notchy? I let my son shift for me the other day and he agreed that the shifter feels like a video game...just butter smooth. Love it!

Sweet Heritage man! There is one running around here occasionally.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I'll check the dates for sure. I've driven the car about 220 miles so far and I've been pushing the car a bit more (slowly). Got her up to 120 and it feels like it is on rails. Being that I'm not sure about the current tires, I've been reading the tire threads but it's too much information to sift through. People keep saying get the Bridgestones but I cannot find any size data for the stock (non-BBS) wheels. What do I need to get? I don't want to lose that nimble sterring feel...man it just steers like a dream. I may just go with the F1's if I can't find the Bridgestone info. Now I'm paranoid about the tire shop scratching my wheels.

So far I've bought:

Tow strap
Battery tender kit with front air intake connector
Jack pucks
Floor mats (on order)
Seat inserts (on order)
Rubber console tray for my iPhone
Ultimate GT key (hope it shipped)

I'm going to go check with a local guy about covering my door sill plates with something durable but removable. Someone suggested the stuff they use to protect the front end from chip damage...but want to find out if it's removable without damage.

I sure do miss the Bluetooth I have in my Cobra...but honestly anytime I've turned on the stereo in the GT, I turn it off 2 minutes later because I want to hear the motor and drivetrain. Can't wait to put an Accufab on this winter!

Weather is still nice here...going to get the car out tomorrow and take my father in law for a ride!

Later!

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Welcome to the club. Yellow with black is awesome!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Can't wait to put an Accufab on this winter!

Yes, that and the thousand other fun things you can do with this fine automobile. Welcome!

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Well I dropped the GT off at the dealer yesterday.

Asked them to give it a general going over...swap the passenger mirror out with the new one...change the oil...fuel filter and take a look at the erratic oil gauge. So far they think the oil gauge is because of the sender...they've ordered a new sender ($380) and will test tomorrow to see if it fixes the problem.

Fingers crossed that it is the sender. :)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
That does not sound right for the oil pressure sender, Less than $40 I think

Last edited:

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Well I was kinda thinking it seemed a bit high...but I'll get more information tomorrow.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Maybe that included installation?

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I'm thinking so.

What does a dealer oil change usually run? I didn't even ask.

Rob

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The Bridgestones would be the same size on the standard wheels as on the optional forged wheels. You WILL like the Bridgestones much better than the Goodyears. Don't even think about buying old Goodyears that have been sitting in a warehouse.

$380 for an oil pressure sending unit, even installed since they are doing the oil change, is robbery. Full retail on that sending unit is less than $100 and if they are doing the oil change, no more than 1/2 hour to change.

The oil chage will be expensive at the dealer. Labor cost to remove and install the belly pans. They will likely get you for 10 qts of oil and Ford fliter at full retail, about 150, then several hours labor.

You could ask the Ford dealer to match the Tire Rack or Discount Tire price on the Bridgestones and install them. I have actually been impressed with Ford dealer pricing on some name brand tires lately. They get a pretty good national account discount. IF they have proper mounting equipment but they should.

Last edited: