Hello, from new owner.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Hi. I'm a new owner (Tungsten 2006) but have admired this car for a long, long time. Not sure why I waited this long to enjoy it. One problem though, I bought too
nice a car - way too nice to drive as often as I would like, and certainly nicer than I deserve. Makes me like rainy days more I suppose (Thanks, Shelby - I think).
Perhaps I could find a 'beater' for more daily use, if such a thing exists. For sure though, the GT is a lot of fun to just look at, so there is that. I guess I'll head down to the store today to pick up a lawn chair to position in the garage. It'll have to be on casters though, too many nice angles to admire.

I also enjoy aviation. Been flying since I was a teenager. Any other pilots out there? I've had the massive privilege of owning and flying a P-47 Thunderbolt
"Wicked Wabbit" for the past 17 years. The US made over 15,000 of these during WWII, today there are about 10. Like the GT, a fun and historically significant thing.
Here's a link to the Thunderbolt for those inclined to things that fly :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:P-47D_Wicked_Rabbit.jpg

And life is not complete unless you have your own action figure:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/p_47_thunderbolt_wicked_wabbit_arf_1035269_prd1.htm

Otherwise, when it rains endlessly, meaningless projects in the shop and shirking responsibility will have to suffice. I look forward to meeting some of you folks and
enjoying GT's.

- John

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Welcome! there are several pilots here (not me unfortunatly).

Enjoy the car, all of us have chairs in our garages....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Welcome aboard, John! And, yes, there are a number of your fellow pilots around here.

"I guess I'll head down to the store today to pick up a lawn chair to position in the garage."

:lol ...and yet there have been some "newbies" who've thought folks like Specracer and I were kidding when we asked if his folding chair had been set up next to his GT yet!!! :thumbsup

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Welcome aboard, John !! :thumbsup

Consider becoming a member of the forum, and think about our yearly National Rally. To be held in New Orleans this October, so that is quite close to you. You'll meet some very good folk there.

Chip, one of our moderators, is a stunt pilot, and flys often. For some flying scenes of vintage aircraft, check out the thread "For Chip...." in the "The Pit of Le Mans" section.

Enjoy the car, and forget about putting miles on it - you'll have a lot more fun than just looking at it. Although, I still have a chair in my garage so I can sit and admire it's beautiful lines - I've only had it since it was new....

Again, welcome aboard!

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
chairs in the garage

Hi John,

welcome and I fully support the idea of endless hours of looking (and talking about the GT and cars in general)....I also have a 2006 Tungsten, the only one made that color with stripe delete and no options at all...I did however put the BBS wheels on and had Shelby do some other mods...sadly it's on a truck and not in my garage where I have several options on chairs to sit in an ponder the car and driving.

Tiny

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 514

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Welcome John !! :cheers Wicked War Bird..!! Tungsten is a great color,,,!! :biggrin Support the forum and come to the next Rally you won't be disappointed ,,:thumbsup

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Welcome.. Congrats.

My advice: Drive your car...As beautiful as these are, they are meant to be driven.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
You should talk to Chip Beck - I believe he is a very accomplished pilot, as well as one of the moderators here.
Welcome

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Hi John and welcome...

Like the GT, the forum will become addicting.. Always something going on and a great place to search for technical expertise/ support for
your projects or just questions about the car.

I also started in aviation when I was a teenager and am still active with it out of Memphis.

We did have a rowing trip planned for next week at UT for my family, but that was rescheduled for another area. Would have been
nice to come out and see the Wicked Wabbit... Vintage warbirds and the GT go very well together.. :biggrin

Consider the Rally in October in New Orleans... I attended my first last year.
Great people, cars and events...

Bruce

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Welcome and congratulations on your new GT and, somewhat belatedly, your fabulous Thunderbolt.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Congrats and welcome to the forum! :thumbsup

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Welcome aboard John and get ready for the ride of your life with this GT Group. Great friends with great GT's and a few with Great Airplanes. Welcome and have fun. Tomy PS This group makes my day!

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Congrats, enjoy and respect the car and be safe.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Thanks, Bruce. Yep the rally sounds fun and it's on my schedule. The UT/Battelle rowing course is just a few miles from me, drove by it in the GT yesterday - if that's where you were headed. the bouts were out, so there must be an event close. The aviation museum is about an hour away. Next time your headed this way, do check in. Thanks for the welcome!

John

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Awesome. I'm stoked!

JS

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Thanks and yep, it has my full attention. This one is a keeper.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Thanks for the welcome.

Wow! Thanks for the great welcome, everyone. Sounds like a lively group. I look forward to participating and learning. I'm happy to be here. What a cool car!

John

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Welcome and Congrats on the new toy! As already stated many pilots here and some nice planes as well. I know of one GT owner that has and fly's his own R-44, Piper Cub, Waco and CJII+ and another (f4udriver) that has posted picks of his P-51 and F4U Corsair. You will fit in just fine.:thumbsup

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Nice set up. I guess the empty spot is for the new car. Excellent!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Hi John,
The icon to right of the text that says "Reply with Quote" is the "multiquote" function. If you want to reply to a bunch of different replies at once, simply click that icon under each post you wish to reply to and then click "reply to thread" at the bottom of the page.

Congratulations on the new car and welcome to the site. :cheers