Handling at the limit?

treynor

GT Owner
Dec 1, 2011
Greetings fellow GT enthusiasts,
A '06 Heritage GT has been on my bucket list for .. well, a long time. I've recently taken the leap and gotten a '20 Heritage MK II, which I love, and it has me once again looking at the '06. One question gives me pause - I had heard from a racing acquaintance that the handling on the '05-'06 cars was unpredictable at the limit -- grip, grip, grip, GONE. I'm curious if folks here have experiences either confirming or refuting this assessment, and also if it may be tire- or setup-dependent?

Thanks very much in advance,
Ben

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
It will all depend on what tires. GY, yup, Bridgestone, less so. Hoosiers, no, they are balanced and linear with a predictable slide. Note, a reminder, that the car does not have traction control, so many issues can be caused by by too early or aggressive throttle application. As with any car, but magnified by an "analog" car, smoothness is rewarded. The only mods I have done, for the track, are Scotts Ohlins shocks, Padgid yellow pads, Girodisc rotors on front, and brake fluid (nothing past a normal track prep). Last time on track was at Miller at the rally, I think I burned 4 tanks of fuel, giving rides. Car is strong and a lot of fun on track. The only issue might be (depending on the weather conditions) could be cooling. But the car will protect it self. It will get to ~240, a red light comes on the temp gauge, after that, the car will intervene further, and go into a "limp" mode. Ive done both (limp only once). Zero harm done.

It is a fantastic car, even after 15 years. If you get one, you will wonder, "what took me so long"??!!

Last edited:

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I agree with Specracer.
It's still an analog car,
No computer shit to save you.
It's the "old days", push the limit and find the results.
Wish you the best.
Stay safe!
My Best,
Mark

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
I can speak to that. To much throttle on cold Bridgestone tires on cold pavement.
GT Crash picture.jpg

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
ouch!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Your friend’s description is accurate: you are a hero right up until you spin off track with almost zero warning. It’s a great car to drive at 9/10s, but watch out at 10/10s! BTW, this is on Bridgestone’s, not run Hoosiers so might be better.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
As Specracer said it's pretty dang predictable on the Hoosiers - I was at Road Atlanta in July and mine went into limp mode once after I think six laps

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I agree with Spec, I tracked my 2005 very aggressively early on (I'm the original owner). Definitely very linear and predictable with Hoosiers.

Reactions: roketman

Ghost

Jun 15, 2018
Ben I very much like this thread and look forward to you getting one. It’s one of the last analog super Cars!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Agree with specracer too
But I will say it’s no MK2!
I tracked mine very aggressively on Hoosiers and it is wonderful handling car. As long as you understand that you are steering with your right foot, you’ll be fine
I have in car videos on my you tube page

Reactions: steved57

Anthony

GT Owner
Dec 28, 2011
Arlington, Va
Agree with specracer too
But I will say it’s no MK2!
I tracked mine very aggressively on Hoosiers and it is wonderful handling car. As long as you understand that you are steering with your right foot, you’ll be fine
I have in car videos on my you tube page

Also curious about this topic. I’ve yet to get to a track but plan to once things open up. Could you send a link to your YouTube videos?

treynor

GT Owner
Dec 1, 2011
Ben I very much like this thread and look forward to you getting one. It’s one of the last analog super Cars!

Well... in that case I won't keep you in suspense for long :) Bucket list car... checked.
2006+Ford+GT+Heritage.jpg

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The tail likes to swing around. The oversteer is built in. We have all done it at one time or another whether on the track or showing off on the street. You need a ride with Mark McGowan.

Reactions: Special K

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
The tail likes to swing around. The oversteer is built in. We have all done it at one time or another whether on the track or showing off on the street. You need a ride with Mark McGowan.
Mark took me out on track on old Goodyear’s with lots of throttle steer. It was a blast.
Congratulations

Reactions: Special K

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Congratulations! I had my 06 at Miller for the rally with new hoosiers on. I let Ron AKA Rocket man take me out in it first and was amazed how it was glued to the track and after that lap I knew I couldnt push it hard enough to slide off the track. My temp was in the higher part of normal and it didn't go into limp mode. With 780HP to the rear wheels I could receach some good speeds on the straights but found myself braking way before the turn and the NFGT would blow by running to the turn. Great time at the rally and find myself enjoying it the most then.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Congrats Ben. I would be great if you could someday compare the Mustang GT4, MKII and the 06 GT on the track. I have seen many of your GT4 videos and you drive it well! Blown away too by the MKII at The Thermal Club.

Are they open yet?

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Pics of your MKII and “old” heritage side by side please!!

treynor

GT Owner
Dec 1, 2011
Congrats Ben. I would be great if you could someday compare the Mustang GT4, MKII and the 06 GT on the track. I have seen many of your GT4 videos and you drive it well! Blown away too by the MKII at The Thermal Club.
Are they open yet?

Thermal is open again. It's very hot in Palm Springs this time of year but I understand folks will go out at 6am and drive until noon, then call it a day.

Pics of your MKII and “old” heritage side by side please!!

I'll certainly do that once conditions permit.

Ghost

Jun 15, 2018
Well done sir!

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Beautiful combination, congratulations. Not to beat a horse to much but as with any car tires are your connection to the track. Hoosier R7’s make it a great track car. I added a rear wing and the change was spectacular, added around 200# to the rear at corner speeds. Not a lot of shifting required with the gearing and great engine torque. Drive them and enjoy.