GTX1 craftsmenship

waterboy

Aug 13, 2006
I've seen a couple different GD products on display-one the door hinge change to have the doors swing open similar to an Enzo, the other a full GTX1 conversion. I was surprised to see them showcased as the finish was lets say-lackluster. On the hinge change car it looked as though somebody milled into the hinge with a roughing endmill and didn't even bother to refinish the milled area. Other areas of trim on the full conversion looked less that fully engineered.

Are there any owners on the forum who could comment on the final result of a delivered product including any rattle issues with the ingenious multi-panel roof system? :ack

Thanks!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The cars were rushed to Detroit in unfinished condition on late notice for the Rally. Mark and the crew didn't have nearly adequate time to finish the cars but we really wanted them to be there, so they brought what they could. That wasn't the end result.

p.s do you own a GT?

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
The hinge system has been reengineered and redesigned. The hinge is beautiful and the doors open and close as smoothly as butter.
The fit and finish of the production roadsters meets the highest standards for quality and is simply as good as it gets.

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
From looking at the cars at the rally, my only real big concern was the door window gaskets on the GTX1. They cars did not have custom gasket on them, but rather the ones that the saw had to cut through. Made the tops of the door look unfinished.

Not sure what they are doing for that now, but that didn’t look so good next to the other fine work on the car.

Other than that, I liked it, but not so practical for the north east for me.

Yogi

Photographer
Aug 28, 2006
Green Bay, WI
Waterboy, once again I would like to thank you for your interest in our projects. As DBK stated earlier in this thread, the cars were rushed from our prototyping facility to Detroit for the rally. The hinge you saw was, as you stated, “milled into the hinge with a roughing endmill” I do apologize for not taking the time to finish the area better but the time to do that simply didn’t exist. This Wednesday we anticipate getting the final design of the GTB door hinge back from the machine shop. As soon as I can get photos of them I will get them out. Yogi@GTX1.com is my email address and I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

waterboy

Aug 13, 2006
Close but not close enough

DBK said:
The cars were rushed to Detroit in unfinished condition on late notice for the Rally. Mark and the crew didn't have nearly adequate time to finish the cars but we really wanted them to be there, so they brought what they could. That wasn't the end result.

p.s do you own a GT?

I inadvertantly stuck twins in mommas oven and had to hold off however there will be another day. Had to retain the P-Car until her nerves calm a bit.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
waterboy said:
I inadvertantly stuck twins in mommas oven and had to hold off however there will be another day. Had to retain the P-Car until her nerves calm a bit.

Congrats on the twins! Thanks for the input on the product. I'm interested in the hinges myself.

Do they have any motors to assist the lift of the doors - or is it all manually operated?

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
I heard other GT owners comment similarly on the hinges at the rally...

Great idea (visually and ergonomically); most knew they wern't 100% yet at the rally. Love to see a video of the final product from the GTX crew :thumbsup

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
SYCO GT said:
Congrats on the twins! Thanks for the input on the product. I'm interested in the hinges myself.

Do they have any motors to assist the lift of the doors - or is it all manually operated?

I've just heard from Mark Gerisch, and he says that the doors are easily operated manually with no need for motorization.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
SYCO GT said:
I've just heard from Mark Gerisch, and he says that the doors are easily operated manually with no need for motorization.

$12K for manually operated doors is too steep... How about a group buy for 1/2 the price???

Tonycan

GT Owner
Jul 23, 2006
I like the group buy idea.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
So do I !!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Yes, I agree, the $12K price seems far too high, at least for my wallet. The convenience would be wonderful.

I hope the functionality of the hinge piece can be made accessible at a more cost effective price point somehow.

gtracer

GT Owner
Oct 13, 2006
Homer Glen, IL.
The GTX1 is a beautiful creation. I'm thinking about a conversion. Iam however, concerned about fit and finish quality, chassis integrity and wind noise. Any input would be appreciated

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
My GTX1 has not been finished yet, but there are no regrets about the decision. On 2 occasions I saw finished cars in Green Bay, the fit and finish quality was superb. The chassis has been strengthened considerably as part of the conversion. A billet alumninum piece runs across the the width of the car to serve as a roll bar and down the sides to strengthen the car from side to side. The floor pan is also considerably reinforced from sill to sill for added rigidity. I believe strengthing is also done to the front end. I had the opportunity to ride in, and drive, the prototype in West Palm Beach last Spring and was amazed at how little wind noise and turbulence there was, even on the Florida Turnpike, which is a credit to the original design of the car morethan anything else. If you call Mark at Genaddi he will probably give you the names of some of his customers to call.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I like the ideas of the GTX1, but I don't think I'll do anything that can't be undone.

As for the doors, I was very interested but until I can see and test a finished product that works better than the ones I saw at the rally, I'll have to wait. Plus, the price is just to steep. I wish Saleen would come up with a solution.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
They had the Updated production hinge at the SEMA show. This new hinge was a very stout design. The door opened and closed smoothly and was very stable through out the arc range. I spoke with the designer, he told me this is not the same hinge that they took to the rally. He was against taking the early hinge to the rally because he did not feel it was up to his design expectations and didn't want to get a bad rap. That being said it is still too expensives. Now that they have the casitngs I would think they would want to sell some of these things so I would be in for a group buy. For the record there is a lot of work to put these things on . Fronts fenders must come off as well..

Last edited:

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
STORMCAT said:
They had the Updated production production hinge at the SEMA show. This new hinge was a very stout design. The door opened and closed smoothly and was very stable through out the arc range. I spoke with the designer, he told me this is not the same hinge that they took to the rally. He was against taking the early hinge to the rally because he did not feel it was up to his design expectations and didn't want to get a bad rap. That being said it is still too expensives. Now that they have the casitngs I would think they would want to sell some of these things so I would be in for a group buy. For the record there is a lot of work to put these things on . Fronts fenders must come off as well..

I second Stormcat's observations. The SEMA car doors operated very smoothly. But for $12K...I dunno. Think I'd rather spend that kind of money on a bigger blower.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Florida Chris said:
I second Stormcat's observations. The SEMA car doors operated very smoothly. But for $12K...I dunno. Think I'd rather spend that kind of money on a bigger blower.

Allright Chris...you can't post pics of your fleet of aircraft on one thread and then play po' boy on another! Buy the blower AND the doors. :rofl

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Hinges

. Now that they have the casitngs

### Castings ? why would they be castings ?