GTX1 craftsmenship

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The hinge assembly is a very large cast aluminum piece.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
STORMCAT said:
They had the Updated production hinge at the SEMA show. This new hinge was a very stout design. The door opened and closed smoothly and was very stable through out the arc range. I spoke with the designer, he told me this is not the same hinge that they took to the rally. He was against taking the early hinge to the rally because he did not feel it was up to his design expectations and didn't want to get a bad rap. That being said it is still too expensives. Now that they have the casitngs I would think they would want to sell some of these things so I would be in for a group buy. For the record there is a lot of work to put these things on . Fronts fenders must come off as well..

Did you get to sit in the car and operate the door?

Do you think this would be a PITA to use on a daily basis? Or fairly functional in use?

Thanks!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Randy,
I sat in the car. I opened the door very slowly as the engineer was talking to me, of course I raised it very slowly and carefully out of respect. That being said that's how I would open the door on the normal GT. He commented that not to worry I could open it faster but I didn't know the action / arcing motion of the door so I took my time. It would take a little getting use to but over all would probably be a change for the better because it allows you more side clearance and less of a head knocking issue. It's not like you jump in and out of the GT anyway so a few extra seconds only makes driving the car more of an event.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks Brian, that's helpful. Sounds like a nice modification. I think the cost is what is holding us all back.

It would definitely make it easier for me to park at my office (and other places)...

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I hear ya brother....

gtx1

GTX1 Owner
Apr 5, 2006
I've seen a couple different GD products on display-one the door hinge change to have the doors swing open similar to an Enzo, the other a full GTX1 conversion. I was surprised to see them showcased as the finish was lets say-lackluster. On the hinge change car it looked as though somebody milled into the hinge with a roughing endmill and didn't even bother to refinish the milled area. Other areas of trim on the full conversion looked less that fully engineered.

Are there any owners on the forum who could comment on the final result of a delivered product including any rattle issues with the ingenious multi-panel roof system? :ack

Thanks!
I've had mt GTX1 for a couple of weeks and the car is impeccable. He has the final version of the roof coming next week. The car actually has a stiffer feel without the roof and you can talk normally @90.The power package\exhaust is incredible. I'm still learning the car and will have it running at Sebring 12/31. Controlled drifting is the best.