GT40 & Two Ford GTs

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
A better day could not be had. Probably last drive in the high country for the year before the snow flies. Video of some hide & seek is crunching over night, check back later.

2012101400.jpg

2012101401.jpg

2012101402.jpg

2012101403.jpg

2012101404.jpg

2012101405.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Here's my pics. I got GoPro video but will wait for Mike.

We met at about 9:00 in Lyons, CO at the Outlaw Saloon parking lot. This was my choice because it is downtown on the street so sound isn't an issue. My neighbors would have drawn and quartered me if we'd met at my house :)

DSC_3338.jpg

These two girls showed up and wanted pictures of the cars.

DSC_3340.jpg

DSC_3341.jpg

DSC_3343.jpg

DSC_3345.jpg

Parked along the side of the road after a spirited ride up the canyon. We left at 9:30 or so and drove up Highway 7 from Lyons to Allenspark. It's a twisty turney canyon drive. There were no cars. We had the up hill side to ourselves except for a few (well behaved) bicyclists that didn't think too much of us.

DSC_3348.jpg

DSC_3351.jpg

We noticed the peak in the background and decided to go a ways up to see if we could get a better spot to get the peak in the background. A little ways up there was a turnout. We parked but there was a couple in a truck with their dog. They left a little later and we got some unobstructed shots.

DSC_3358.jpg

DSC_3362.jpg

Here is a pano compilation of the stop

DSC_3336-3364-3365.jpg

DSC_3370.jpg

DSC_3371.jpg

DSC_3372.jpg

Noone brought a tripod (I took it out of the car this morning from yesterday's Red Rocks shot). So I propped the camera on a rock and set the self timer.

DSC_3375.jpg

From the St. Malo Retreat. The chapel is a gorgeous building and tons of people stop there. Today they stopped for car pictures instead of chapel pictures.

DSC_3378.jpg

DSC_3380.jpg

DSC_3381.jpg

DSC_3383.jpg

DSC_3385.jpg

DSC_3386.jpg

We stopped for lunch at the Grumpy Gringo (see Mike's pictures) and then departed down Big Thompson Canyon. At one point traffic kind of stopped due to a big horn sheep on the side.
DSC_3389.jpg

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
Awesome pictures. I knew the GT40 was smaller, but I would of never guessed how much smaller. WOW

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Awesome pictures. I knew the GT40 was smaller, but I would of never guessed how much smaller. WOW

Sit in one! That'll really clue you in! :lol

Regardless - they're darned impressive cars. :thumbsup

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Sit in one! That'll really clue you in! :lol

Regardless - they're darned impressive cars. :thumbsup

I sat in Mike's. It was a little more cramped than the Cobra, but very similar feeling. The car is quite claustrophobic. The Cobra Roadster, being open, didn't have that issue, but the GT40 is very "close". Getting in and out wasn't much worse than the Cobra and would have been a piece of cake with the steering wheel off. I considered a removable steering wheel for the Cobra too but it was a major project to do it after the car is built.

Also, since it is a race car and your feet are always busy (like the Cobra) there is no place to comfortably rest your feet while cruising - i.e, no dead pedal space, or at least that was what I thought but I couldn't see :) I moved my feet around but don't recall finding the space.

The light weight and aero profile will make this a quick car. I would love to see it on the track. Mike Jim and I discussed this - should be a monster in the hands of a real racer like Bondurant or Gurney...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
:agree: I too found them claustrophobic the 1st time I sat in a MKII "roller" with the doors closed ('did that in 'Vegas). Ditto "there is no place to comfortably rest your feet while cruising."

But, I had a much better feel for those cars after I spent 1/2-a-day riding around in Richard's (GT38) down in Az. I found out that the claustrophobia didn't last long...at least for me. (What a day THAT was! :thumbsup:thumbsup)

Actual 'issues' I have regarding GT40s now have nothing to do with that sort of thing for the most part...not the least of which being the fact that it presently takes A YEAR for a '40 to hit the beach stateside once it's ordered...and then takes another 2 months or so for: (1) engine/transaxle installation (assuming THEY both actually arrive at the 'builder's' by the time the car does), (2) debugging/sorting out the car & installation of a couple additional 'goodies', and (3) shipping it to my front door. That's a loooooooooong time to have about $140K floating around 'out in space' somewhere with nothing to show for it.

Yeah, I know. I'm a real odd duck.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hey, Mike - I notice you aren't running the rear diffuser. Is it in the shop for mods, or just 'sitting on the shelf'?

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I will be taking the car down to Spectrum following the last weekend of this month for several things one of which is a diffuser with some additional tweaks from the one you saw.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Gotcha...

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Great photos Luke!

Ed

PS A great view of the size differential.

Attachments

• DSC_1434.JPG
    DSC_1434.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 612

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
That is a GREAT photo! As you said, it really shows the difference in scale.

The Ford GT is certainly not alone here -- roughly same size growth in vintage vs. current Corvettes, Mustangs, Ferraris, etc.

While I wish we could return to the former 9/10 scale or so, I'm happy the current cars are so well done -- gobs of HP, fantastic handling, easy to operate, etc.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Great photos Luke!

Ed

PS A great view of the size differential.

This picture looks like some women I know. See the growth in the hips? A little middle age spread but still shapely.

FordGT4fun

thanks for sharing the pics.. amazing trio

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I would have gladly let the girl with the dress sit in one of the cars!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I would have gladly let the girl with the dress sit in one of the cars!

"Dress"? You mean that wide belt?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
"Dress"? You mean that wide belt?

We were inside when they showed up. I'd just finished my coffee (The Elixor Of Life Before 11:00AM) and we went out to head up the hill. They were taking pictures on their phones when we went out. They were so excited at the cars. The one in the dress told me they drove by and spun back to take pictures. I think they were a little surprised at the old guys with the cars. Gotta love them for loving the cars !!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...they drove by and spun back to take pictures. QUOTE]

#1079 created that same scenario once (that I know of)!

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I have a neat video of the run up the canyon that should be finished processing in the morning. Check back then.

I took the GT40 into the office today to show some colleagues. After running it out of gas and sitting on the side of the road a few weeks back I finally remembered to set the trip before we went up the hill Sunday. Both tanks together hold right at 20 gals. What I learned today is that will take you exactly 174 miles. It ran out of gas right as I was pulling up to the garage. I pulled it in using the starter :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...Both tanks together hold right at 20 gals...that will take you exactly 174 miles.

:facepalm:

...don'tcha mean it'll take WARMWATER 174 miles?! I've SEEN your vids! :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
:facepalm:

...don'tcha mean it'll take WARMWATER 174 miles?! I've SEEN your vids! :lol

EP I think your mileage was worst than Luke's. :lol