Got raped by CA DMV, HELP!!!

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I always pay my vehicle registration fees early to avoid penalties so I never knew what the penalty amount was... until... today. I just don't remember seeing the registraton renewal notice and since I don't drive the car that often, I never noticed the tags expired in July. So I'm one month late in paying the fees, guess how much the penalty is? It is a whooping $756 :frown on top of regular fee of slightly over $1200, or 60%+ in penalties. Isn't this highway robbery??? Any advise on how to fight this penalty is greatly appreciated.

View attachment FGT Reg.pdf

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
CA has been raping it's citizens for ever! You just found out now?

I had the same thing happen to me on another car for about $300. I begrudging paid it and tried to not think about all of the money wasted in CA.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Didn't they at least give you flowers or buy you dinner first? Another situation where I wonder how much the fine would be for expired tags vs the renewal fee. If you don't drive it much the fine might be better .....if you get caught, much, much better if you don't......you wouldn''t even be out the renewal fee.

H

HHGT

Just figure out a way to take that same amount out of another government contribution bucket.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Nardo is on to something, and since I high jacked gtjoeys web name this isnt gtjoey speaking....
ALOT OF NEW YORKERS are letting ALL there collector cars expire, as long as you have Insurance that is agreed like a Grundy's or who ever........your covered for loss or damage but can recieve a ticket if pulled over for failure of valid registration...THE POINT THOUGH ITS A FACT THE GOVERMENT is now RED LINING zip codes to income to insurance on fancy cars.......not that I have any idea what happens in the insurance world......so if you live in a middle class overall town show middle class income and own a car worth 10 times your salary...your getting pinched....I even heard theres a letter out there given to the insurance co's explaining this, but I have no clue, besides theres no middle class anymore:frown to wrap it up the only way they find out is on the registration......its state public record, the ins. co's arent obligated ...yet...till disclosure hits us all next year....highjackedgtjoey

Drew@ClassicAuto

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 10, 2008
I would dispute this last post as completely unrealistic. Sounds like a who killed JFK conspiracy theory.

I agree the penalties levied by state DMV's for late registration, etc are ludicrous. However, so many states are going to electronic verification for insurance purposes. So no matter if you have a collector car policy or a regular policy, your insurance company reports insurance coverage to the dmv on any new or renewal policy whether the car is registered or not (only to those states that require insurance companies to report electronically). Most of the larger states are (NY, NJ, PA, CA, FL, etc).

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Yogi...BOO BOO here...without being turse........I did say New York..........another fact 48 percent of all who took the cash for clunkers were 3 to 5 years audited...Fact. Things have changed my friend...someone using gtjoeys email:biggrin

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
At least ask the clerk for a reach-around. That is common curtsey, even among felons.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
D...Another situation where I wonder how much the fine would be for expired tags vs the renewal fee. If you don't drive it much the fine might be better .....if you get caught, much, much better if you don't......you wouldn''t even be out the renewal fee.

I don't understand this response - If you get caught, you'll have to pay the fine, and also provide proof of registration.

The only thing I wanted to add, is that, in California, the renewal registration form shows the penalty for late registration, so you know what it will be ahead of the game. I usually just renew each registration as soon as I receive it, thus avoiding any late situation.

My latest registration renewal notice gives the following information:

Registration Fee: $56
License Fee: $1355
Weight Fee: $0
Special Plate Fee: $38
County/District Fees: $2
Owner Responsibility Fee: $0 (I have no idea what this is)

Total Due on or before xx/xx/xxxx: $1451

or $18 to file for Planned Non-Operation (PNO)

Late Payment:
Postmarked
(up to 10 days late) - Renewal $1607; PNO $164 - - $156 Penalty (11%)
(up to 30 days late) - Renewal $1752; PNO $304 - - $301 Penalty (21%)
(up to 90 days late) - Renewal $2324; PNO $861 - - $873 Penalty (60%)

(After 90 days) - Renewal $2324; No PNO - - $873 Penalty (60%)

You must have been way late registering your car!!!!!

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I always pay my vehicle registration fees early to avoid penalties so I never knew what the penalty amount was... until... today. I just don't remember seeing the registraton renewal notice and since I don't drive the car that often, I never noticed the tags expired in July. So I'm one month late in paying the fees, guess how much the penalty is? It is a whooping $756 :frown on top of regular fee of slightly over $1200, or 60%+ in penalties. Isn't this highway robbery??? Any advise on how to fight this penalty is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 16538

I hope no one in Olympia reads this thread, because, as of YET Wa. St. hasn't thought of levying a penalty for late registration. Here your current registration simply expires and that's it. The fine happens only if you're caught DRIVING with expired tabs.

It is a whooping $756 :frown on top of regular fee of slightly over $1200, or 60%+ in penalties. Isn't this highway robbery???

Isn't it 'interesting' that Cali wants and extra 60% if YOU'RE late...but, IT has a plan to pay IT'S bills with "I.O.U.s". Do you suppose IT will levy a 60% fine on ITSELF for doing that? Hypocrites much?

But, to answer your question: forget fighting the penalty. 'Like shoveling you-know-what against the tide.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

Rumor mill here in CA that registrations (yielding bigger $) are not always sent out by DMV on purpose. Reasons are obvious... Weather rumors are true or not, I dont care. All my toys are now on PNO. I'm hoping there is enough low rider impalas and 80's buick Regal and Monte Carlos to pickup the revenue slack...

On another note, if you buy a collectible car, you do not have to register it to get her insured. Registration is their only way to assess $.

BTW, I am also a hacker that have hacked HHGT account....

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Rumor mill here in CA that registrations (yielding bigger $) are not always sent out by DMV on purpose. Reasons are obvious... Weather rumors are true or not, I dont care. All my toys are now on PNO. I'm hoping there is enough low rider impalas and 80's buick Regal and Monte Carlos to pickup the revenue slack...

On another note, if you buy a collectible car, you do not have to register it to get her insured. Registration is their only way to assess $.

BTW, I am also a hacker that have hacked HHGT account....

:thumbsup Premeditated alibi. Very nice of you to make that admission whoever it is that has hacked HHGT's account. :biggrin

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
When I was going to school(temporarily) I got a notice from the state. It said my car was frequently parked at the BART station and I may be living in CA so i had to register there. I guess they have nothing better to do than lurk at the BART stations looking for income. BTW I pay about 145.00 yearly for my GT in Sunny Florida

Last edited by a moderator:

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
So I made an appointment and showed up at the DMV today, after explaining to the clerk I never received the renewal notice but always paid my renewals on time, he looked up my payment history, had me sign a form to request the waiving of penalty and then promptly waived the penalty. Wow today must be my lucky day, not only I was in and out of the DMV in 10 minutes, I got away easy. The forum member that tipped me to go to the DMV to try to get them waive the penalty deserves a big thank you and here's another case in point of valuable benefits of being a member of this great community of great people and cars. :thumbsup

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Glad it worked out Bruce and thanks for sharing the method and results.

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Move.