Got my Ford GT Recall Notice Today for Air Bag Replacement

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Got two letters in the mail also. I have to wait until we get some decent weather in NY, though.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Went by dealer yesterday. They ordered both actuators and will make appointment when they come it. They said they have no problem if I accompany the car while they do it. They will do the work in the make ready bay which is right next to the service entry drive. Said it should take a couple hours to do both of them.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Went by dealer yesterday. They ordered both actuators and will make appointment when they come it. They said they have no problem if I accompany the car while they do it. They will do the work in the make ready bay which is right next to the service entry drive. Said it should take a couple hours to do both of them.

JC, I take it you got two letters?

I just went to site and it only has drivers side for mine.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I got 2 letters inside one envelope

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Helpful if you post your build date as well, can't recall which day/month in 2006 is the cutoff for the recall.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
On the VIN lookup, neither of my '05 GT's show up with regards to the airbag recall...I find that strange...

EDIT: Scratch that - they both show up for driver's airbag inflator on the Ford Website

Last edited:

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Yes, I got 2 notices. Driver and passenger. They came together. Dealer knows I will not bring the car until they have both ready to go. He did say they have been having no trouble getting most of the air bag parts for the recall but did not know if mine were different.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
How is it that some cars require both and some only driver's?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
How is it that some cars require both and some only driver's?

Probably multiple sources. Note that the overall Ford exposure over all models is actually quite small compared to others.

jvmax

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 13, 2008
anybody have a recommended Ford dealer here in central florida? mine is a 2005 with a 01/05 build date. Both air bags and my car has been a southeastern car its whole life

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
I received the recall notice a few days back. Mine is #899 and got the double whammy.
I'm not sure whether to get it serviced asap, or wait as I'm considering selling it and a subsequent owner may want to deal with it themselves.
I live in the Bay Area (near Stanford U.) and am not sure whether I should take it to Towne Ford or somewhere else nearby. Suggestions welcomed.
Rich

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Bill, will the dealer give you the part so you could do it yourself?

Hi Ed ,
Late Reply....

If you have a good relationship with the Dealer.....
The other thing I hear is , Ford will cover a "House Call" for the replacement. You may want to look into that.
Just make sure they cover the GT Emblem on the Horn Pad and the wheel with plenty of Blue Tape !

Hi Ed ,
Late Reply....

The other thing I hear is , Ford will cover a "House Call" for the replacement. You may want to look into that. ]

I called Ford and checked about the house call. It's between the owner and the dealer - Ford will reimburse the dealer up to $200 total, but if the dealer does not want to send someone you have no leverage.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
I received my letter yesterday # 581, No dealers in my area will touch, Let alone do an oil change.
Is this something that Rich & Dennis can help with when in carlisle this summer ?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I received my letter yesterday # 581, No dealers in my area will touch, Let alone do an oil change.
Is this something that Rich & Dennis can help with when in carlisle this summer ?

I'm sure that'll be a 5 minute job for them. But you still need to get the part from a dealer.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm sure that'll be a 5 minute job for them. But you still need to get the part from a dealer.

As this is part of a safety recall I'm not sure Ford will allow installation by anyone other than a ford authorized dealer. I'm not sure I'd want to take the risk either. It would not show up on OASIS. I know the GT guys could do it in 10 seconds or less, but please do your homework first. I wouldn't accept the local dealer's service writer's assessment either. I'd go up to a district manager.

Second, if your dealer really won't touch it becasue they are afraid I'd insist on the clause that permits them to get it done at your site and have them bring someone in from another dealership that does have a FGT trained tech.

I posted about this elsewhere, but I'll do it again here: I called Ford and was told (after much discussion at the other end etc) that bringing a tech to your car or sending a flatbed to pick up your GT and take to the dealer is 1) only between a dealer and you; and 2) only up to $200 cost will be reimbursed by Ford.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
When the axel shaft bolt recall was present, I was able to pick up the replacement pieces up and then sign a release from the dealer. Had third party replace them

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
When the axel shaft bolt recall was present, I was able to pick up the replacement pieces up and then sign a release from the dealer. Had third party replace them

Totally different animal. There are only 4 for 2005 and 3 for 2006 NHTSA recalls against the Ford GT. Three of them are air bags (common for 05 and 06), and one for 05 is the A-arm.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
If its really true that 'none of the dealers in your area' will do the recall work, I would suggest a call to Ford and have them make arrangements with a dealer. As this is an NHTSA mandated recall, they will need to have it done at the dealer to verify it was done before they can report completion to the NHTSA.

By law, they cannot actually refuse the recall work. But would not want to force a dealer's hand and the resultant outcome that would cause.

Its a relatively simple job once the parts are in hand. There is a national back order status at the moment.

Last edited: